The Student Room Group

What does full UMS mean

On what basis do exam boards give a candidate full UMS marks in a particular module?
Original post by Apple2017
On what basis do exam boards give a candidate full UMS marks in a particular module?

You will get full UMS if you get full marks in the exam
You get full UMS if you get almost all the paper correct. Get above a certain mark and you'll have it. I don't think it's only awarded if you get every mark possible on the paper.

I have managed to get 100 UMS on a GCSE chemistry exam and an AS general studies exam. If only the rest of my exams were like that lmao.
Original post by Strawberry68
You get full UMS if you get almost all the paper correct. Get above a certain mark and you'll have it. I don't think it's only awarded if you get every mark possible on the paper.

I have managed to get 100 UMS on a GCSE chemistry and an AS general studies. If only the rest of my exams were like that lmao.

Yeah I got 43 raw marks out of a possible 48 in my ccea gcse English exam and I got 27/27 UMS marks. I've no idea what particular mark you have to be on to get full UMS!
Reply 4
It depends on how hard the exam is/how well people do. It could be as high as full raw marks or..well, much lower. Usually you can find conversion tables online.
It depends how hard the paper is (well, basically how well everyone else taking the exam does).

They scale it up I believe - there's some sort of conversion system using normal distribution or something like that.

I once got full UMS on a Geography AS level paper despite only getting one less than half of the raw marks. They'd just changed the syllabus and it was disgustingly hard - think a teacher checked with the board and no-one in the country scored over half raw marks.
Original post by Apple2017
Yeah I got 43 raw marks out of a possible 48 in my ccea gcse English exam and I got 27/27 UMS marks. I've no idea what particular mark you have to be on to get full UMS!

Yeah for essay based exams it'd be impossible to get full raw marks unlike say maths and science. So you don't need full marks for 100 UMS! The cut off mark will vary each year as grade boundaries do based on everyone's overall performance.
Original post by lozz2601
It depends how hard the paper is (well, basically how well everyone else taking the exam does).

They scale it up I believe - there's some sort of conversion system using normal distribution or something like that.

I once got full UMS on a Geography AS level paper despite only getting one less than half of the raw marks. They'd just changed the syllabus and it was disgustingly hard - think a teacher checked with the board and no-one in the country scored over half raw marks.

The geography exam I did in May was a new spec. I am taking your story as a good sign xD (but we dont have ums) :smile: . Although I dont think it was as hard as yours
Full UMS is calculated by looking at the interval between the A grade and B grade, then adding that on top of the A to get the possible A* grade (for AS level there's none given) and then adding once again to get 100% UMS. It goes in this order: 70% is a B, 80% is an A, 90% is an A* and 100% is full UMS

For Edexcel IAL biology and physics, getting full UMS is just 54/80 in most cases, sometimes dropping to 51/80 for physics. For chemistry its around 74/80 and for maths its around 74/75 if you're lucky on the new spec. Old spec is usually 124/125. Hope this answers your question! although I'm a bit late to this

Quick Reply

Latest