The Student Room Group

failed first year

I am studying computer science with artificial intelligence. I am in first year, one of the modules was Programming 1. I had two attempts at this, the first attempt I failed as I only got 30 in it and the second attempt I got 0 due to the incorrect format of the file. The university said that I have to retake the year in part or full, as programming 1 is a core module that needs to be passed before going into second year. I really did not want to retake the year. I need some advice on appealing as during that time I was going through mental health issues and problems that I did not bring up. I have tried to appeal due to exceptional circumstances however need some advice on how to go about it.

on the appeal form, one question they asked was "If you did not make these circumstances known to your School(s) please state why you did not do this. (If you do not give a valid reason your appeal will be turned down.)'. Does anybody know any valid reasons?!!! please help
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by userzeddd
I am studying computer science with artificial intelligence. I am in first year, one of the modules was Programming 1. I had two attempts at this, the first attempt I failed as I only got 30 in it and the second attempt I got 0 due to the incorrect format of the file. The university said that I have to retake the year in part or full, as programming 1 is a core module that needs to be passed before going into second year. I really did not want to retake the year. I need some advice on appealing as during that time I was going through mental health issues and problems that I did not bring up. I have tried to appeal due to exceptional circumstances however need some advice on how to go about it.

TBH appealing won’t make a difference on resitting the year, as you still haven’t passed the credits… therefore you cannot progress regardless.

You could appeal so that a future resit is for example, not capped at 40% however normally first year is pass/fail and does not actually count towards the degree therefore this won’t really have much of an actual impact on anything.
Does anybody know any valid reasons?!!!

Um, aren't you the one who should be providing these valid reasons and not the internet...?
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
TBH appealing won’t make a difference on resitting the year, as you still haven’t passed the credits… therefore you cannot progress regardless.

You could appeal so that a future resit is for example, not capped at 40% however normally first year is pass/fail and does not actually count towards the degree therefore this won’t really have much of an actual impact on anything.

so is it not worth appealing for? also if you appeal, and it gets rejected can you still retake?
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Um, aren't you the one who should be providing these valid reasons and not the internet...?

I'm trying to win this appeal hence why I'm asking the internet.....
I'm trying to win this appeal hence why I'm asking the internet.....

You'll win the appeal if you deserve it/if your reasons are actually genuine. This isn't hard if your case is indeed valid.
Reply 6
what I might class as genuine may not be what they class as genuine if you understand what I mean
Original post by Blue_Cow
You'll win the appeal if you deserve it/if your reasons are actually genuine. This isn't hard if your case is indeed valid.

on the appeal form, one question they asked was "If you did not make these circumstances known to your School(s) please state why you did not do this. (If you do not give a valid reason your appeal will be turned down.)'. Does anybody know any valid reasons?!!! please help

It's pointless appealing, you failed a core module. If you try and progress without a core module, it's more or less inevitable that you will fail the next year. You are just throwing even more money away. Just redo the year.
Hi, could I kindly as what uni you are in? Thanks.
I am in a similar situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending