The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I've gotten into a university for a design course. The thing is, I don't really like that university, and I don't know if I'll really enjoy design because my interest is more towards the social sciences. I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. So should I take a gap year and figure out exactly what I want to do in uni or should I just attend the uni I've gotten into in the hopes of maybe enjoying it?
(I haven't completely planned out what my gap year looks like yet, but if I do decide to take one I'll be sure to plan more. i really want to take one because I've got a lot of things (like internships and volunteering work) i want to try out, and they look really exciting! i never really got a chance to do those when i was in high school so um yeah)
@millarca54

It might be worthwhile to take some time to think about what social science you are interested in studying, the grades required and which university or universities you are interested in.

There is still the option of clearing so you could still go to university this year, but you would have to be clearer on what you like to do.

A gap year would give you the opportunity to think more, but remember that it should add something to your application next year. It might be wise to start making plans now, so you have things in place, otherwise you could end up spending a lot of time looking for opportunities during your gap year!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by millarca54
I've gotten into a university for a design course. The thing is, I don't really like that university, and I don't know if I'll really enjoy design because my interest is more towards the social sciences. I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. So should I take a gap year and figure out exactly what I want to do in uni or should I just attend the uni I've gotten into in the hopes of maybe enjoying it?
(I haven't completely planned out what my gap year looks like yet, but if I do decide to take one I'll be sure to plan more. i really want to take one because I've got a lot of things (like internships and volunteering work) i want to try out, and they look really exciting! i never really got a chance to do those when i was in high school so um yeah)

Hello @millarca54

I am a university of Salford graduate, but before that I was actually at a different university that I found out wasn't really for me, I just wanted to mention that to say that it is a normal occurrence and it does happen. The gap year I took was a great experience for me as I just spent it working, earning money but also growing as a person also. Obviously everyone is different and maybe that pathway is not for everyone, but by the sounds of it you do have a lot of opportunities that you want to explore. My biggest bit of advice for you is to follow what your gut is saying to you, that is what I did before dropping out of my first university and I haven't looked back. However it is a big decision to make so don't make it lightly, do take time to look over options you may have.

Some university courses will allow you to defer a year which means you would just be able to attend the course and the university next September, but that is something you would have to get in contact with the university over. You may also be able to swap courses but again that all depends on the specific university so definitely do your research and as I said follow your gut. You do also have the option of while on your gap year, going through the UCAS application process again, but this would mean writing a whole new personal statement, getting a new reference etc, but this would allow you to apply to a different university doing a different course more in social sciences if that is what you want.

I hope that this does help, if you have any questions do get back in touch

Cheers
Matthew - University of Salford Rep

Don't take a course you're not sure about at a university you don't like. Take the year out, do the things you have planned and work out what you do want to study. Go to as many open days as you can and attend the talks for lots of different courses. You will soon work out what is right for you.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@millarca54

It might be worthwhile to take some time to think about what social science you are interested in studying, the grades required and which university or universities you are interested in.

There is still the option of clearing so you could still go to university this year, but you would have to be clearer on what you like to do.

A gap year would give you the opportunity to think more, but remember that it should add something to your application next year. It might be wise to start making plans now, so you have things in place, otherwise you could end up spending a lot of time looking for opportunities during your gap year!

Hope that helps,

I'm thinking of taking sociology if i can, and i do think i have the grades for it, and I've browsed through some universities and think i have a good idea about where I'd like to join. but um, I'm an international student (from india) and i mostly won't be able to afford it so :
Reply 5
Original post by University of Salford Student Rep
Hello @millarca54

I am a university of Salford graduate, but before that I was actually at a different university that I found out wasn't really for me, I just wanted to mention that to say that it is a normal occurrence and it does happen. The gap year I took was a great experience for me as I just spent it working, earning money but also growing as a person also. Obviously everyone is different and maybe that pathway is not for everyone, but by the sounds of it you do have a lot of opportunities that you want to explore. My biggest bit of advice for you is to follow what your gut is saying to you, that is what I did before dropping out of my first university and I haven't looked back. However it is a big decision to make so don't make it lightly, do take time to look over options you may have.

Some university courses will allow you to defer a year which means you would just be able to attend the course and the university next September, but that is something you would have to get in contact with the university over. You may also be able to swap courses but again that all depends on the specific university so definitely do your research and as I said follow your gut. You do also have the option of while on your gap year, going through the UCAS application process again, but this would mean writing a whole new personal statement, getting a new reference etc, but this would allow you to apply to a different university doing a different course more in social sciences if that is what you want.

I hope that this does help, if you have any questions do get back in touch

Cheers
Matthew - University of Salford Rep

thank you very much, this was very helpful! but I'm not from the uk, I'm from india, and um after some reseach i don't think i can afford studying there so.. :")
but i do think design isn't for me; I think i should take a gap year. i still have a lot of things to figure out but i hope i take the best decision! fingers crossed.
Reply 6
Original post by flavorflav11
I have only a vague knowledge of graphic design, but from what you've described, sounds like it won't be the best fit for you. I'd say you should really be devoted to graphic design to be successful, as it is a popular field with plenty of competitors (potentially) applying for the same position as your future self. So, I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a year off, dip your toes elsewhere and possibly make up your mind about what line of work you're actually passionate about.

you're right, thank you! :smile:
thank you very much, this was very helpful! but I'm not from the uk, I'm from india, and um after some reseach i don't think i can afford studying there so.. :")
but i do think design isn't for me; I think i should take a gap year. i still have a lot of things to figure out but i hope i take the best decision! fingers crossed.

If you're still unsure about what you want to do and you're also worried about funding then a gap year is an incredible opportunity to get into the work field and earn some money whilst also gaining valuable skills to really boost your CV in the area you do end up investing your time in during university :smile:

A gap year is all about discovering what you really want to do or be so make the most of it if you decide to take one!

Dom,
Student Ambassador
I'm thinking of taking sociology if i can, and i do think i have the grades for it, and I've browsed through some universities and think i have a good idea about where I'd like to join. but um, I'm an international student (from india) and i mostly won't be able to afford it so :

@millarca54

It's great that you know you want to study sociology, that you have the grades for it and you know which universities you are interested in. Brilliant!

Yes, you will expected to pay more as an international student and inflation, though going down, is still high in the UK.

Hope you are able to start uni next year!

All the best,

Hello @millarca54, no need to thank me, glad I could help out with your process. It is good that you know what it is you want to do in regards to taking a gap year, it will be the perfect time to figure out your next steps and I know you will do what is best for you.

If you need any more advice or guidance feel free to drop us a DM on here and we can get back to you with as much guidance as we can give.

All the best
Matthew - University of Salford rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending