The Student Room Group

Help with this Partial Derivative?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
Yes that's right.

In that case, I get e^xy(1+y), however the correct answer is slightly different: e^xy(1+xy). Why is the x in the correct answer if we treated it like a constant in the process?
Reply 41
Original post by Exceptional
In that case, I get e^xy(1+y), however the correct answer is slightly different: e^xy(1+xy). Why is the x in the correct answer if we treated it like a constant in the process?

What's the derivative of exye^{xy} wrt y?

yexyexy\displaystyle \frac{\partial }{\partial y} e^{xy} \neq e^{xy}

Note that ddxeax=aeax\frac{d}{dx}e^{ax}=ae^{ax} where a=const.a=\mathrm{const.}
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 43

The product rule is ddy(y)exy+yddy(exy)=exy+yxexy\displaystyle \frac{d}{dy}(y) e^{xy} + y\frac{d}{dy}(e^{xy}) = e^{xy} + yxe^{xy} since ddye2y=2e2y\frac{d}{dy} e^{2y} = 2e^{2y} so ddyexy=xexy\frac{d}{dy}e^{xy} = xe^{xy}.
Original post by Notnek
What's the derivative of exye^{xy} wrt y?

xe^xy?
Reply 45
xe^xy?

That's correct now. Now try the question again.
Original post by Notnek

Got it, makes sense now. Thanks!
Reply 47
Original post by RDKGames
How about this, if you know about implicit differentiation.

z=x(y2)z2=x(y2)z=\sqrt{x(y-2)} \Rightarrow z^2=x(y-2)

Taking the partial derivative wrt x of the LHS leaves you with 2zzx\displaystyle 2z\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}

Taking the partial derivative wrt x of the RHS leaves you with y2y-2

So then zx=y22z=12y2x(y2)=12y2x(y2)\displaystyle \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{y-2}{2z} =\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{y-2}{\sqrt{x(y-2)}}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{y-2}{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{(y-2)}}

Thus you have zx=12y2x=12y2x\displaystyle \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} =\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{y-2}}{\sqrt{x}}=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{ \frac{y-2}{x} }

Get it?

This looks absolutely beautiful.
Original post by Notnek

1.JPG

Hi again, do you think you could help with this? My values for x = 1.25, y = .75, and lambda = .25. I rearranged and solved but must've gone wrong somewhere?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest