The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

What are typical costs to live in Brighton?

Hello I am an international student considering studying at brighton.

I was wondering how much rent cost is there, both on-campus housing and student shared housing away from campus
Original post by avatarxkorra
Hello I am an international student considering studying at brighton.

I was wondering how much rent cost is there, both on-campus housing and student shared housing away from campus

I go to the University of Sussex, where on-campus accommodation can vary from a £60/week shared room in East Slope (affectionately referred to as East Slum by many) to a £150/week en-suite room in Northfield. I think I heard that the university is reducing rent for some of the cheapest accommodation, and East Slope is getting renovated, so that may change. I personally lived in Stanmer Court last year (£145/week, en-suite) and will be living in a house in Moulsecoomb next year for £96 a week. A general rule of thumb is that the closer you live to the centre of town, the more expensive your rent will be. A general figure of average rent costs in Brighton, if you have a single room without an en-suite in a house with 4/5 other people that's equidistant between the town centre and the universities, is about £100/week, give or take (n.b. this is speaking from my own experience, others may disagree with me).

Bear in mind that living costs can get very high if you're not careful, especially in Brighton. Keep an eye on the money you're spending - do your weekly shop at Lidl instead of Waitrose, look for entry/drinks deals for clubs, the usual. I made a loan of £90/week last the whole of first year without a problem, but a lot of people get away with spending a whole lot less than that.
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
How much are your bills on average per person per week/month? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending