The Student Room Group

Bristol, Plymouth, Brighton, or Portsmouth?

Anyone got any advice about these 4 cities and unis? The uni of each city except UWE for Bristol. Bristol appeals to me right now just because its a bit closer to me. I'd be doing civil engineering in each of these places if anyone has specific advice about the courses. I'd love to hear thoughts on the courses themselves, accommodation, costs, and also thoughts on the city, stuff to do, music, food etc. Thanks for any help.
Most unis publish student budget/cost of living information on their websites. This is UWE's:

https://www.uwe.ac.uk/life/money-and-finance/budgeting-and-money-management-tips#a5aae06df-b6dd-49d6-bf0f-e69204b427ad

I'm tagging in the uni reps to see if they can help with your other queries (@University of Brighton Enquiries @University of Plymouth @University of Portsmouth @University of the West of England )

You can also post on the uni-specific forums listed here where other applicants and students are active:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=309
Original post by Haaazard
Anyone got any advice about these 4 cities and unis? The uni of each city except UWE for Bristol. Bristol appeals to me right now just because its a bit closer to me. I'd be doing civil engineering in each of these places if anyone has specific advice about the courses. I'd love to hear thoughts on the courses themselves, accommodation, costs, and also thoughts on the city, stuff to do, music, food etc. Thanks for any help.

Hi there,
Brighton is a great city for students - full of music, culture and great food. You can check out our recent guide to life in Brighton as a student here: https://bit.ly/3PyXSfB.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi @Haaazard :h:

As Sophie mentioned in the above post, Brighton is a great city to live, and the link they shared has many great recommendations about things to do in Brighton.

In terms of finances we have lots of helpful information regarding this.
We have a handy page about manging your budget as a student.
There’s also this great blog about how the university can help you save money.

In terms of accommodation we have a variety of different halls options to suit your needs, you can take a look at the different accommodation options here.

In terms of the course you may find this video helpful, this is one of our graduates from the Civil Engineering course:

You may also find an applicant day useful if you haven’t been to one already, where you can get a feel for the course and the campus. We have one coming up on April 22nd, here is the link if you need it.

I hope this has been useful, please get in touch if you have any further questions and best of luck with whichever you choose!

Bex Brighton Uni rep :nyan:

Hi there!

I'm a current undergrad students in my 2nd year at the University of Portsmouth.

I'm not a civil engineering student myself, so you can read about the finer details of the course here. It's quite cool you can get your bachelors and masters in one course with Portsmouth. It's also accredited and i'd say there is lots of career opportunities in the city or surrounding areas.

For accommodation, I believe Portsmouth is one of the cheapest on avg. (although this may be subject to change!). The halls represented by the uni are all relatively modern and up-to-date, with the majority including an ensuite and 3/4 double. They're all within 15 minutes walk to our uni buildings too which is great, they're also very close to pubs/clubs/town/restaurants too! There are a couple located a bit closer to the seaside if your after something a bit quieter too though.

For the city, i'd say its very lively but not overwhelming lively! There is always lots to do, if you're into music we have Victorious festival during the summer each year, and there is also Portsmouth Guildhall which host events for all genres of music. You have a generous amount of bars that cater to all, if you're after a chilled drink with friends or if you want to go dancing/clubbing that's an option too. They're all very student orientated and will host student nights/deals etc. Our university is linked with some of the local clubs and will work with university societies to get free (or discounted) tickets/booths for students too! They're very involved in freshers events also. There is also a big shopping centre with your typical high street shops and coffee shops.

We have Gunwharf Quays too which is essentially a designer outlet, so lots a big names for cheap! They run a student shopping night there each year where you can get lots of freebies, more discounts etc. Some of the brands will do things like 'spin the wheel' where you can win shoes etc. There's also a lane full of food courts/street food and sometime the uni will host some too. You're also close to travel links so you can easily commute to neighbouring cities too (e.g., southampton, brighton etc.). And of course you have the lovely seaside during summer - it does get hot so it's nice to be able to go for a dip with friends.

What I like about our university is that it's a city university, integrated into the centre of Portsmouth. It's nice to be able to pop into Wagamama's or Starbucks in between lectures to take a break or study somewhere a bit different. The buildings aren't too far from each other, and the city is definitely taken over by the students during term time!

I hope this helps,

Feel free to ask me anything else,

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:

Hey there!

If you want to know about Plymouth and studying in the city then look no further than asking our Unibuddies!

At Plymouth we pride ourselves on being all the fun of a city with the benefit of the sea and Dartmoor on your doorstep.

We have even just been voted the best place in England to live!

Get in touch and we look forward to answering all your questions 😁

Best wishes and have a fantastic weekend,
- Amelia, University of Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending