The Student Room Group

Who did Edexcel IAL(AS level) Maths and what grade did you get and how?

I'm doing c12 and m1 at as level.What should I do to get an A?
Anybody?
I didnt do IAL but I got an A* at A level and Id suggest doing at least 30 past papers per module 2017 to 2010 including june and jan, including those october papers. Id also try but only try( if you can implement this) doing all the review exercise in your book and especially challenge yourself with those tricky questions. I used examsolutions to teach myself the maths theory by watching the videos and writing notes to use as a reference
Did IAL Mathematics C12 in June 2017, got UMS 120/120

I just listened in class and had a good teacher who gave us loads of past papers as well, around 1-2 papers per week
I'd suggest doing as many past papers you can, the questions are very similar between years
Also forgot to mention, this is how I structured my days. So I would learn the theory of a topic and then ATTEMPT to do all the review exercise questions( didnt go very well cause I found them really hard so I only ended up doing a few). I tried doing as many past papers as I could for M1 and c3 leading up to jan mocks. I then repeated the same for easter mocks. I then planned on easter onwards a structure which would allow me to revise my other subjects whilst doing the 30 past papers prior to my exam dates. It was hella ****ing intense, but it was worth it I think.
Review exercises for c1 and c2 I found very easy, so you could probably do the above for those modules but probably not for c3 and c4. I find edexcel like to spam very similar questions all the time so once you do loads papers become very easy
Original post by janicealice
Did IAL Mathematics C12 in June 2017, got UMS 120/120

I just listened in class and had a good teacher who gave us loads of past papers as well, around 1-2 papers per week
I'd suggest doing as many past papers you can, the questions are very similar between years

That's great man!Also,how hard would you say M1 would be?I got a high a* in my igcse physics so would I struggle?
Original post by APersonYo
Review exercises for c1 and c2 I found very easy, so you could probably do the above for those modules but probably not for c3 and c4. I find edexcel like to spam very similar questions all the time so once you do loads papers become very easy

Thanks for the advice:smile:
Original post by arizonaidiot
That's great man!Also,how hard would you say M1 would be?I got a high a* in my igcse physics so would I struggle?

M1 can be hard and then it can not be hard. M1 is a very random module. Some past papers are very lovely and others are demonic. I don't think your A* in your IGCSE physics will beneficial for M1 as M1 is very different to GCSE physics, although achieving A* indicates you are hard-working probably :smile:

With a high A* at IGSCE Physics you should be pretty much fine, it means you have the ability to do basic math haha

I got near full UMS for M1 as well (forgot exact score but it was above 110)
Just do all the past papers and you'll be fine, don't worry too much:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by APersonYo
M1 can be hard and then it can not be hard. M1 is a very random module. Some past papers are very lovely and others are demonic. I don't think your A* in your IGCSE physics will beneficial for M1 as M1 is very different to GCSE physics, although achieving A* indicates you are hard-working probably :smile:

Thanks bro.Did you do chemistry as well?If so,then how did you revise for that and what grade did you achieve:smile:
With a high A* at IGSCE Physics you should be pretty much fine, it means you have the ability to do basic math haha

I got near full UMS for M1 as well (forgot exact score but it was above 110)
Just do all the past papers and you'll be fine, don't worry too much:smile:

Thanks bro.Did you do chemistry as well?If so,then how did you revise for that and what grade did you achieve:smile:

I got 115/120 UMS for Chemistry Unit 1:smile:

I used the George Facer textbook and did all the questions, plus did a load of past papers from both GCE and IAL.

I used the George Facer textbook and did all the questions, plus did a load of past papers from both GCE and IAL.

I'm really sorry as I'm really bothering you but can I use the official edexcel textbook for chemistry and physics?or do I also buy George facers' book.
I'm really sorry as I'm really bothering you but can I use the official edexcel textbook for chemistry and physics?or do I also buy George facers' book.

No worries mate, I'm happy to help :smile:
I've used the official Edexcel textbook for Chemistry but I found the George Facer one easier to understand. It also includes great exam tips so I'd really recommend using that.
As for Physics, I'm using the official Edexcel one and it's working pretty well, haven't yet found a better alternative.
No worries mate, I'm happy to help :smile:
I've used the official Edexcel textbook for Chemistry but I found the George Facer one easier to understand. It also includes great exam tips so I'd really recommend using that.
As for Physics, I'm using the official Edexcel one and it's working pretty well, haven't yet found a better alternative.

Thank you so much:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest