The Student Room Group

How maths-y is A-Level Economics?

I'm really passionate about business studies (predicted grade 9) and I like the look of the A-level Economics specification, but I'm worried about how maths-y it will be (I'm predicted a grade 6 in maths). How maths-y is Economics?
Reply 1
Hi I'm in y13 and doing OCR Economics, I can't speak for any of the other syllabuses but I'm guessing they wouldn't be too different.

Honestly if you're getting a grade 6 or higher in maths you'll be fine - there is very little maths, I'd say about 90+% of the subject involves written essay style answers. The maths you will have to do consists of graphs with a Y and X axis. They're pretty straightforward, the hard part is remembering them. Apart from that there are a few equations to remember, but they're also pretty simple. You might get asked general things like calculate the mean or median of a chart, but I'm sure you can do that.

I was in your position in y11 as I was horrible at maths and didn't know whether to pick econ, but if it's just the maths you're worried about then you'll be fine, especially if you're passionate about business studies
AQA economics has basically no maths, just some percentage change and stuff like that.
Maths is about 4 marks out of 240 in the final exam
Original post by Lignum Vitae
I'm really passionate about business studies (predicted grade 9) and I like the look of the A-level Economics specification, but I'm worried about how maths-y it will be (I'm predicted a grade 6 in maths). How maths-y is Economics?

there is a lot of maths but its really basic equations and division pretty much, most of it is graphs, im doing edexcel IAL
Reply 4
Original post by rohaw
Hi I'm in y13 and doing OCR Economics, I can't speak for any of the other syllabuses but I'm guessing they wouldn't be too different.
Honestly if you're getting a grade 6 or higher in maths you'll be fine - there is very little maths, I'd say about 90+% of the subject involves written essay style answers. The maths you will have to do consists of graphs with a Y and X axis. They're pretty straightforward, the hard part is remembering them. Apart from that there are a few equations to remember, but they're also pretty simple. You might get asked general things like calculate the mean or median of a chart, but I'm sure you can do that.
I was in your position in y11 as I was horrible at maths and didn't know whether to pick econ, but if it's just the maths you're worried about then you'll be fine, especially if you're passionate about business studies

Hi rohaw, I need ur help and advice. I’m in year 12 currently and wanted to switch to A level Economics (OCR) as I’m really not enjoying the subject I’m currently doing. How hard will it be for me to catch up seeing as it’s nearly April? I’m also very passionate in business and achieved a grade 7 (2 marks off an 8) in GCSE Business with revising only the day before the exams.
Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Lignum Vitae

its
Reply 6
Original post by nxvraj
Hi rohaw, I need ur help and advice. I’m in year 12 currently and wanted to switch to A level Economics (OCR) as I’m really not enjoying the subject I’m currently doing. How hard will it be for me to catch up seeing as it’s nearly April? I’m also very passionate in business and achieved a grade 7 (2 marks off an 8) in GCSE Business with revising only the day before the exams.
Thank you

its
Reply 7
Original post by nxvraj
Thank you

Hi mate,

I'm not going to lie and say it will be a walk in the park, as with any subject you have missed almost a school years worth of content, but you could do it. It would definitely require you to work VERY hard this Easter as well as over summer. If you can afford it I would recommend you get a tutor over summer, if you did this combined with your own study you could catch up by the time you go back in y13. Keep in mind that you will have to learn all of the content that others have already done, as when you start in September you will want to properly learn the content being taught in school. Honestly, if you want to save yourself a life over the next couple of months I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're really wanting to you should consider it and speak to your school.

Quick Reply

Latest