The Student Room Group

How to have my school allow year 12 to choose a math subject for year 13.

So here is context: Today school started lessons again after the exams (cause I am doing year 13), I heard recently from my math teacher that the other math book (as we are required to do P1, P2 and S1 for year 12 and then for P3, P4 and another choice) will be M1 (mechanics), now I think this is quite unfair as a multitude of students including myself would rather do D1 (Decision) or S2 (statistics 2). I do Edexcel IAL Math

Our classes in year 12 are organized as blocks and you choose 4 subjects to do in year 12, without having them conflict block wise. There are 2 blocks for math, Block B (which I am in) and Block D, Block B has 3 Math classes, while Block D has 2 . In year 13 both blocks will have their math classes reduced by 1 as there are less students, so then in year 13 Block B will have 2 math classes and Block D will have 1.

So I am thinking about talking to the math teachers, head of math and head of secondary (maybe even the principal) about allowing for Block B to be separated into 2 classes (D1 and M1) as the teachers don't mind having more students than the other teacher (example: normally the block B classes would have an even amount of students so if class 1 had 10, then class 2 would have 10 students).

With Block D it gets tricky but the only solution I could think of is voting.

In addition to speaking to various staff, I also have asked possibly for students to agree (when argument points will be made) to ask their parents to send an email about this. As last year the year 7's had all their parents send about how they had too many tests per day (they didn't). So the school had to make it that each day, one test could only occur for them.

Now why I didn't talk about S2 as much is that it's a much smaller minority and, D1 and M1 have been taught in my school before. A possiblity with D1 and M1 is that they flip which one the year 13's do as this year 13's did D1, while last year 13's did M1. Also another possible issue is that next year 12's further math students will be doing FMP1, S2 and D1.

If anyone can give advice about how to refine my idea and/or any additional arguments, please do.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I would do S2 as it is a very short module and papers are the same as 2001 to 2019 of the A-Level normal specification. The specification for IAL is the same as S2 of the normal A-Level. :smile: D1 Linear Programming and Critical Path Analysis can be confusing?! :s-smilie:

Also, there is a Solutionbank for all IAL modules and I can send you the URLs, they make it easy to self-teach and check your solutions, especially since they're written by the examiners. :wink:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest