The Student Room Group

Macbeth's Downfall

Could someone help me with my assessment?
15 marks - available for your knowledge of the play characters, theme, setting, dramatic devices etc…
5 marka - avalible for your knowledge of relevant context.
I need 4 Paragraphs minimum, I understand this just need extra help, with sentence starters and how to structure a good paragraph. That will score me good marks.

For this essay you need to consider all the possible reasons that Macbeth decided to kill Duncan and relate these to the contextual details. You need to think about how shakespeare uses theatrical devices to ensure his audience know the situation and dilemma.

Things to consider;

Macbeth reputation and power
Duncan's rule as king
The dominance of the witches. Their language and connections with other characters. Jacobean superstition..
Lady macbeth relationship with her husband

Macbeth's christianity; The use of pathetic fallacy the use of foreshadowing. Banquets reaction to a similar set of circumstances
Macbeths fatal flaw and the gun powder plot.
Reply 1
Original post by SBizzy
15 marks - available for your knowledge of the play characters, theme, setting, dramatic devices etc…
I need 4 Paragraphs minimum, I understand this just need extra help, with sentence starters and how to structure a good paragraph. That will score me good marks.

For this essay you need to consider all the possible reasons that Macbeth decided to kill Duncan and relate these to the contextual details. You need to think about how shakespeare uses theatrical devices to ensure his audience know the situation and dilemma.

Things to consider;

Duncan's rule as king
The dominance of the witches. Their language and connections with other characters. Jacobean superstition..

Macbeth's christianity; The use of pathetic fallacy the use of foreshadowing. Banquets reaction to a similar set of circumstances

I'm not doing Macbeth for my GCSE but I'll give you my notes/plan for my Much Ado essay.

- Introduction
- Summerise what you're about to write
- Identify some reasons

- For each paragraph use PEE
- P oint
- E vidence (quotes)
- E xplain (the significance and link back to the question)

- Conclusion, returning to the question again

- Proof read and remove unnecessary words
Reply 2
Original post by SBizzy

Things to consider;

Duncan's rule as king

Could someone be able to write a good structured paragraph to give me a better understanding, for pee
PEE is simple once you've put it to practise. This would be a short example, so if there was a question like this: How is the tone created in Shakespeare's poem.

1. You first make your point, and whenever you make a point you HAVE to put the QUESTION into your sentence in someway or another, so:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices.

2. Now you would have to give an EXAMPLE to prove your point, which in this case is that the tone is created through literary devices. so:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices. There is a continuous use of repetition and figurative language, for example "-you add the quote here-"...

3. EXPLAIN. This part may be slightly confusing at first but it really is simple. You basically have to EXPLAIN how the EXAMPLE/EVIDENCE is proving your POINT. So:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices. There is a continuous use of repetition and figurative language, for example "-you add the quote here-", and this sets the tone to the poem as it emphasises the anger the narrator feels.

And that is just a basic PEE formatted answer. Note though that when you are writing a loooong essay you will be including several points so you would have to use PEEL, which is Point-Evidence-Explain-Link and for more info on that you can just google it.

:h:

However, if you're struggling to answer a twenty mark essay what I suggest you do is make sure you have done your BACKGROUND research and looked up several different annotations of the text you are going to be writing about.

And then what I would do for a long detailed question like this is make a table on each point you have to mention.

So I would start by making a list of all the possible reasons Macbeth decides to kill Duncan. And then make a list of the theatrical devices used -if you find it hard to spot these then again go online, i find SHMOOP to be a good website when it comes to analysing- and once you have your list of devices then write how each device allows the audience to know about the situation and try to think what the effect of this is.

And then I would go through all the Things to consider and write a couple of sentences/notes on each point, and then I would look back at the BIG QUESTION you're being asked to answer and I think you'll find that most of your essay will be made up of those jotted down notes and filled in tables.

Hope that helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by KawaiiArtist
PEE is simple once you've put it to practise. This would be a short example, so if there was a question like this: How is the tone created in Shakespeare's poem.

1. You first make your point, and whenever you make a point you HAVE to put the QUESTION into your sentence in someway or another, so:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices.

2. Now you would have to give an EXAMPLE to prove your point, which in this case is that the tone is created through literary devices. so:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices. There is a continuous use of repetition and figurative language, for example "-you add the quote here-"...

3. EXPLAIN. This part may be slightly confusing at first but it really is simple. You basically have to EXPLAIN how the EXAMPLE/EVIDENCE is proving your POINT. So:

The tone in the poem by Shakespeare is one of anger and regret and it is created through the use of different literary devices. There is a continuous use of repetition and figurative language, for example "-you add the quote here-", and this sets the tone to the poem as it emphasises the anger the narrator feels.

And that is just a basic PEE formatted answer. Note though that when you are writing a loooong essay you will be including several points so you would have to use PEEL, which is Point-Evidence-Explain-Link and for more info on that you can just google it.

:h:

However, if you're struggling to answer a twenty mark essay what I suggest you do is make sure you have done your BACKGROUND research and looked up several different annotations of the text you are going to be writing about.

And then what I would do for a long detailed question like this is make a table on each point you have to mention.

So I would start by making a list of all the possible reasons Macbeth decides to kill Duncan. And then make a list of the theatrical devices used -if you find it hard to spot these then again go online, i find SHMOOP to be a good website when it comes to analysing- and once you have your list of devices then write how each device allows the audience to know about the situation and try to think what the effect of this is.

And then I would go through all the Things to consider and write a couple of sentences/notes on each point, and then I would look back at the BIG QUESTION you're being asked to answer and I think you'll find that most of your essay will be made up of those jotted down notes and filled in tables.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, English lit can be very confusing at times… Just need to improve my analysis.
Original post by SBizzy
Thank you, English lit can be very confusing at times… Just need to improve my analysis.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending