The Student Room Group

WJEC Eduqas English Literature prediction 2024

Does anybody have any ideas for what the questions might be this year, preferably on AIC, Macbeth and ACC but feel free to say predictions for other texts because it might help other people!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahyzah
Does anybody have any ideas for what the questions might be this year, preferably on AIC, Macbeth and ACC but feel free to say predictions for other texts because it might help other people!
ACC- Importance of Settings in a Christmas Carol
AIC- Sheila?? but it was done in 2021 so perhaps Gerald or a theme question?
MOV- Act 1.2 Extract (in truth nerissa i know not why i am so sad) justice or prejudice
Reply 2
Original post by mjtheturd
ACC- Importance of Settings in a Christmas Carol
AIC- Sheila?? but it was done in 2021 so perhaps Gerald or a theme question?
MOV- Act 1.2 Extract (in truth nerissa i know not why i am so sad) justice or prejudice
I was thinking the same thing as you for AIC because a character analysis hasn't happened in a while. I was thinking maybe Sheila or theme of guilt but what do you think is going to be the poem is going to be from the anthology? It could be anything really I think it might be Ozymandias or Manhunt, really hoping it is one of them too.
Also wdym by settings for ACC?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Ahyzah
I was thinking the same thing as you for AIC because a character analysis hasn't happened in a while. I was thinking maybe Sheila or theme of guilt but what do you think is going to be the poem is going to be from the anthology? It could be anything really I think it might be Ozymandias or Manhunt, really hoping it is one of them too.
I highly doubt they would repeat a character question especially for an Inspector calls when they still have multiple themes and 2 charcters still left ( Gerald and Eva Smith ). Also for the poems ozymandais has come up and for the manhunt i highly doubt it as themes surrounding war and death have come up 3 times in the past 7 years so its more likely to be nature or even love and relashonships. Just to keep in kind as well, the exam board can't set anything too difficult, one because grade boundaries would be extremely low and two the exam board have to take into consideration i guess candidates who struggle with english and i reckon if they asked about the importance of setting it wouldnt just throw off those lower grade candidates but as a grade 9 student in English myself, i would struggle greatly with that question, i mean the only thing off the top of my head i could think of is in Stave 4 when Scroogle is shown his grave which is 'overrun by grass and weeds' but you can only wrote so much about that single quote, so personally its such an unlikely question if you ask me. My teacher reckons that they may start repeating themes ( not characters ) for AIC and ACC since for ACC in 2017 they asked about the importance of ther ghosts then last year ( 2023 ) they asked about the theme of the supernatural which is literally the same question but in different words. I think one year they did 'change in scrooge' quite a while back so possible this year the theme of redemption would be a good one however grade boundaries would be extremely high as i guess that is such a sibjective theme throughout the entirety of the novellla. After looking over every past exam question, each year there is always something whether it could be a theme, a character or a poem that seems rather difficult for exaple last year it was for AIC something like 'charcters respnse to the truth' and i thought that was rather harsh and my english teacher said most of the country stuggled with it and many complained, which is another thing the exam board aren't going to ask really hard questions as it would probably not be the best if they had half the schools in the country having a rant about how everyone struggled. But just be aware that there will be at least 1 out of the four thing (3 books and poem) that will be rather difficult and i do think this year ACC or shakespeare ( i do much ado about nothing so im not sure on mcbeth ) will be the one they will put a hard question on. On ACC i reckon redemption, family or Fred. Poems most likely nature or relashonships, maybe the prelude or to autumn.
Sorry if you have read this whole thing i do apologise for the waffle, well done if you have :smile: Also sorry if some of it doenst make sense i have been typing quite fast.
Also its really hard to predict so don't just base your revsion off other poeple's predictions
Reply 5
Original post by user.khyddv
I highly doubt they would repeat a character question especially for an Inspector calls when they still have multiple themes and 2 charcters still left ( Gerald and Eva Smith ). Also for the poems ozymandais has come up and for the manhunt i highly doubt it as themes surrounding war and death have come up 3 times in the past 7 years so its more likely to be nature or even love and relashonships. Just to keep in kind as well, the exam board can't set anything too difficult, one because grade boundaries would be extremely low and two the exam board have to take into consideration i guess candidates who struggle with english and i reckon if they asked about the importance of setting it wouldnt just throw off those lower grade candidates but as a grade 9 student in English myself, i would struggle greatly with that question, i mean the only thing off the top of my head i could think of is in Stave 4 when Scroogle is shown his grave which is 'overrun by grass and weeds' but you can only wrote so much about that single quote, so personally its such an unlikely question if you ask me. My teacher reckons that they may start repeating themes ( not characters ) for AIC and ACC since for ACC in 2017 they asked about the importance of ther ghosts then last year ( 2023 ) they asked about the theme of the supernatural which is literally the same question but in different words. I think one year they did 'change in scrooge' quite a while back so possible this year the theme of redemption would be a good one however grade boundaries would be extremely high as i guess that is such a sibjective theme throughout the entirety of the novellla. After looking over every past exam question, each year there is always something whether it could be a theme, a character or a poem that seems rather difficult for exaple last year it was for AIC something like 'charcters respnse to the truth' and i thought that was rather harsh and my english teacher said most of the country stuggled with it and many complained, which is another thing the exam board aren't going to ask really hard questions as it would probably not be the best if they had half the schools in the country having a rant about how everyone struggled. But just be aware that there will be at least 1 out of the four thing (3 books and poem) that will be rather difficult and i do think this year ACC or shakespeare ( i do much ado about nothing so im not sure on mcbeth ) will be the one they will put a hard question on. On ACC i reckon redemption, family or Fred. Poems most likely nature or relashonships, maybe the prelude or to autumn.
Sorry if you have read this whole thing i do apologise for the waffle, well done if you have :smile: Also sorry if some of it doenst make sense i have been typing quite fast.
bro dont even worry about it. But the thing is the Eduqas exam board repeats themes and charcters aswell. Because, last year for Macbeth it was an analysation of Lady Macbeth and it came up less than 5 years ago which shocked everyone. So that is why i am thinking Sheila came up. But, if it Eva Smith or Gerald (which im hoping it is not) I will do a background for them just in case. To be honest, ACC theme could be anything and analyzing a character is going to be really hard because it is mostly talking about Scrooge and the ghosts and the other characters hardly come up. Do you think Bob Cratchit will come up as a character too?
BRO I AM SOOOOO BAD AT POEM THOUGH.
Especially the comparison. Do you have any tips for how to structure the comparison paragraphs? I seem to get a low score on it..
Reply 6
Also its really hard to predict so don't just base your revsion off other poeple's predictions
aha yeah. I am doing the best I can working on everything slowly so i dont regret it later
Reply 7
Original post by Ahyzah
For poems I think it’s going to be 21st fiction text and nature so The prelude is something that might come up
Reply 8
Does anyone know predictions for Jekyll and Hyde, lOrd of the flies and Othello as my school does these and it seems no one else does
Original post by Ahyzah
bro dont even worry about it. But the thing is the Eduqas exam board repeats themes and charcters aswell. Because, last year for Macbeth it was an analysation of Lady Macbeth and it came up less than 5 years ago which shocked everyone. So that is why i am thinking Sheila came up. But, if it Eva Smith or Gerald (which im hoping it is not) I will do a background for them just in case. To be honest, ACC theme could be anything and analyzing a character is going to be really hard because it is mostly talking about Scrooge and the ghosts and the other characters hardly come up. Do you think Bob Cratchit will come up as a character too?
BRO I AM SOOOOO BAD AT POEM THOUGH.
Especially the comparison. Do you have any tips for how to structure the comparison paragraphs? I seem to get a low score on it..
For a Christmas Carol it is way too easy to just give a character question on Scrooge like even really thick people could get decent marks for that, like they do actually need to challenge us. They can't ask about specific ghosts for exaple the ghost of christmas past because you have no wider knowledge of the novella for that. Bob Crachit and Fred are definately charcters that could come up and although you may think there's nothing to say, they are present in each Stave for example Fred, Stave 1; antithesis to srooge through the motif of light ) 'All in a glow' which contrasts with the motif of temperature of Scrooge ('carried his low temperature') Stave 2; through the flashback of Fran, Scrooge was able to realise his mistreatment of Fred. Stave 3; Fred shows again he is the complete opposite of Fred as he says 'his offences carry hsi own punishment, i have nothing to say against them' presenting this socialst ideoly Dickens emphasises through hsi political diatribe but also how Fred is so positive and so magnimonious that he is unable to go against scrooge despite his again mistreatment by his unlce- context about religion and how christian values are prevelant and like we as humans have no right to condemn others; it is gods job to judge and fred as a model christian shows this belief then in stave 5 he is the epitpome of a moral citizen by forgiving and allowing scrooge to achieve redemption and salvation which is also agaimn why fred is so important as he allows scrooge to reach a complete redemption. So yes there is a lot you can say about Fred and Bob Crachit but im not gonna write everything about Bob Crachit as just personally the crachits have already come up and like i said the board need to consider lower grade students and hiow they would react to a minor character question so i guess its less likeyly but Fred is definately a charcter they could pick out.

For the cpmparison i got 24/25 in my mock and i did an introduction ( 1 sentence amybe 2 describing each poem) then i did 1 paragrapgh on language for example like nouns or verbs maybe adjectives like the basic stuff , then 1 paragraphgh on poetic devices like imagery , similies, metaphors, pathetic fallacy, then 1 paragrogh on structure like short stanzas or caesuras, end stops what they signify and then a final very short conclusion. Also i recommend embedding your context within your paragrapgh not just adding it on the end of it. For comaprison everyone struggles so dont worry if your getting low scores it is the hardest one just if you want grade 9 aim to learn 6 quotations and have 2 from each poem in each paragraogh so 4 quotes in total for each paragraphs.

For AIC i reckon the fact they still have 2 charcters and muliple themes its unlikey they would repeat anything maybe it could say ' the diffrence between younger generation and older generation' so just comparing Sheilas recation and how she wants to change and by the end eventhough her parents were like 'oh it didnt happen we're all good' Shiela is still like yeah but we all did something to her like fire her or rape her it wasnt like that didnt happen and how Mr Birling only cares about materialistic thngs nad his reputation in order to get his knighthood he wants to keep this undercover obviously presenting narcissistic ( please ignore my poor spelling ) qualties. I reckon Eva Smith is a good one to ask as shes subjective throughout the play and theres so much tom say but maany may fins that easy so im not too sure. I dont do Mcbeth so i dont know.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 10
What do you think the possible questions for AIC Could be?
Original post by Hello133
What do you think the possible questions for AIC Could be?
Eva Smith/ Daisy Renton , Gerald, maybe the theme of younger generation vs older generation, theme if class, theme of gender, theme of power, theme of generational confict meaning like how eric says to his father like he shouldnt have fired her. In all honetsly theres a lot they could do im just gonna revise everything
Reply 12
For a Christmas Carol it is way too easy to just give a character question on Scrooge like even really thick people could get decent marks for that, like they do actually need to challenge us. They can't ask about specific ghosts for exaple the ghost of christmas past because you have no wider knowledge of the novella for that. Bob Crachit and Fred are definately charcters that could come up and although you may think there's nothing to say, they are present in each Stave for example Fred, Stave 1; antithesis to srooge through the motif of light ) 'All in a glow' which contrasts with the motif of temperature of Scrooge ('carried his low temperature') Stave 2; through the flashback of Fran, Scrooge was able to realise his mistreatment of Fred. Stave 3; Fred shows again he is the complete opposite of Fred as he says 'his offences carry hsi own punishment, i have nothing to say against them' presenting this socialst ideoly Dickens emphasises through hsi political diatribe but also how Fred is so positive and so magnimonious that he is unable to go against scrooge despite his again mistreatment by his unlce- context about religion and how christian values are prevelant and like we as humans have no right to condemn others; it is gods job to judge and fred as a model christian shows this belief then in stave 5 he is the epitpome of a moral citizen by forgiving and allowing scrooge to achieve redemption and salvation which is also agaimn why fred is so important as he allows scrooge to reach a complete redemption. So yes there is a lot you can say about Fred and Bob Crachit but im not gonna write everything about Bob Crachit as just personally the crachits have already come up and like i said the board need to consider lower grade students and hiow they would react to a minor character question so i guess its less likeyly but Fred is definately a charcter they could pick out.
For the cpmparison i got 24/25 in my mock and i did an introduction ( 1 sentence amybe 2 describing each poem) then i did 1 paragrapgh on language for example like nouns or verbs maybe adjectives like the basic stuff , then 1 paragraphgh on poetic devices like imagery , similies, metaphors, pathetic fallacy, then 1 paragrogh on structure like short stanzas or caesuras, end stops what they signify and then a final very short conclusion. Also i recommend embedding your context within your paragrapgh not just adding it on the end of it. For comaprison everyone struggles so dont worry if your getting low scores it is the hardest one just if you want grade 9 aim to learn 6 quotations and have 2 from each poem in each paragraogh so 4 quotes in total for each paragraphs.
For AIC i reckon the fact they still have 2 charcters and muliple themes its unlikey they would repeat anything maybe it could say ' the diffrence between younger generation and older generation' so just comparing Sheilas recation and how she wants to change and by the end eventhough her parents were like 'oh it didnt happen we're all good' Shiela is still like yeah but we all did something to her like fire her or rape her it wasnt like that didnt happen and how Mr Birling only cares about materialistic thngs nad his reputation in order to get his knighthood he wants to keep this undercover obviously presenting narcissistic ( please ignore my poor spelling ) qualties. I reckon Eva Smith is a good one to ask as shes subjective throughout the play and theres so much tom say but maany may fins that easy so im not too sure. I dont do Mcbeth so i dont know.
yeah thanks for the help. Recently, at school we have been doing As Imperceptibly as Grief and Excerpt of the Prelude because that is what the teachers think are going to come up. They also think To Autumn is as well but for me its just the comparison. Like I have no idea what to compare As Imperceptibly As Grief with as all it talks about is grief and getting over it so how you even supposed to compare to a different poem? I did with Mametz Wood but the theme that the school thinks is coming up is nature of passage of time and to be fair Mametz wood is not really passage of time. I dont know what to compare Excerpt of the Prelude aswell I was thinking Death of a naturalist but idk. By the way, when comparing do you still have to use context? I think you do but do you have to for both poets or is one poet fine because I only did one comparison essay before at school and just put them both down but for the real exam I might forget. Bro 6 quotes each poem?? I need to get better at poetry because it is bringing me so down.
Can you recommend some poems that go for most of the themes?
Like some that just have a bit of everything in.

And, for ACC or AIC how many paragrpahs should we write each? In my mocks I did 5 from the wider play and 1 from the extract. Idk if you can do that but the total amount of paragraphs the school recommends is 6. But they say you should do 3 from the extractt and 3 from the wider play.

To be honest if Eva comes up in AIC i think it will be hard because i feel like all I could say is that shes a representative of the working class and we need to take responsoibilty of them. But all quotes show that, that are directly linked with Eva like the 'there are more jhons and evas out there' or smth like that. I wouldnt really know what to say
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Ahyzah
yeah thanks for the help. Recently, at school we have been doing As Imperceptibly as Grief and Excerpt of the Prelude because that is what the teachers think are going to come up. They also think To Autumn is as well but for me its just the comparison. Like I have no idea what to compare As Imperceptibly As Grief with as all it talks about is grief and getting over it so how you even supposed to compare to a different poem? I did with Mametz Wood but the theme that the school thinks is coming up is nature of passage of time and to be fair Mametz wood is not really passage of time. I dont know what to compare Excerpt of the Prelude aswell I was thinking Death of a naturalist but idk. By the way, when comparing do you still have to use context? I think you do but do you have to for both poets or is one poet fine because I only did one comparison essay before at school and just put them both down but for the real exam I might forget. Bro 6 quotes each poem?? I need to get better at poetry because it is bringing me so down.
Can you recommend some poems that go for most of the themes?
Like some that just have a bit of everything in.
And, for ACC or AIC how many paragrpahs should we write each? In my mocks I did 5 from the wider play and 1 from the extract. Idk if you can do that but the total amount of paragraphs the school recommends is 6. But they say you should do 3 from the extractt and 3 from the wider play.
To be honest if Eva comes up in AIC i think it will be hard because i feel like all I could say is that shes a representative of the working class and we need to take responsoibilty of them. But all quotes show that, that are directly linked with Eva like the 'there are more jhons and evas out there' or smth like that. I wouldnt really know what to say
Tbf, I think it's going to be Death of A Naturalist and theme of nature as it hasn't come up and its a pretty major part of the anthology. Also theres quite a lot of things to write on death of a naturalist and so it seems plausible that it will come up (either that or the theme of innocence, which DoA can be used for as well). I think that for AIC it could also be on the theme of class (or perhaps gender??? (i sure do hope not, but as someone else said one of the questions might be obscure) or exploitation??) just because older vs generation is quite similar to the 2023 question of how different characters react to the truth but idk (the older generation are way happier for example Mr Birling says something on the lines of 'I;ve never been so happy to have been had' whilst the younger generation like Sheila say that this doesnt change anything). Also for ACC yea I agree settings is probably too difficult, also i dont think there's been many character questions hence it's quite probable that it's on fred (or it could be worded wierdly like 'how is family important in a christmas carol?')
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 14
So for ACC we thinking Fred or family? Do you think redemption might come up as they repeated ghosts could they repeat others too?and repeat questions for other texts like AIC
Reply 15
Death of a naturalist is a good one to be honest. Do you know what poem to compare that too or like the best one anyways? But yeah i was explaining to my friend that Fred is a likeable character to come up and the question could also be indirectly meant towards him like “whats the theme of goodwill” but yk
by the wat when u guys mean theme of class whats that supposed to mean? Like i feel stupid saying but is it patriarchy basically?
Reply 16
So for ACC we thinking Fred or family? Do you think redemption might come up as they repeated ghosts could they repeat others too?and repeat questions for other texts like AIC
Fred is basically family if yoy think about it because the only known character we know thats family to Scrooge is Fred and his mom Fan

But also yes Eduqas surprises people by repeating the same stuff so it is possible. Last year in 2023 they repeated the character of Lady Macbeth but they could do it on any text even poetry. If its poetry thought id assume everyone would do bad so maybe not? Last year it was London so its safe to assume that London or Living Space wouldnt come up. Apart from nature, which everyones talking about, it could be relationships? It hasnt cane up in a while and theres still around 3 poems to look at for that theme. The Manhunt (not likely as Wife in London was recent) Valentine and Cozy Apologia it could be one of then too.
Reply 17
Original post by Ahyzah
Fred is basically family if yoy think about it because the only known character we know thats family to Scrooge is Fred and his mom Fan
But also yes Eduqas surprises people by repeating the same stuff so it is possible. Last year in 2023 they repeated the character of Lady Macbeth but they could do it on any text even poetry. If its poetry thought id assume everyone would do bad so maybe not? Last year it was London so its safe to assume that London or Living Space wouldnt come up. Apart from nature, which everyones talking about, it could be relationships? It hasnt cane up in a while and theres still around 3 poems to look at for that theme. The Manhunt (not likely as Wife in London was recent) Valentine and Cozy Apologia it could be one of then too.
Yeah I doubt they would repeat poetry especially bc nature hasn’t even come up yet. I don’t think ACC would be a repeat bc last year was a repeat, but I’m thinking AIC it might be likely for them to repeat a character? Also does anyone do Romeo and Juliet?
Reply 18
Yeah I doubt they would repeat poetry especially bc nature hasn’t even come up yet. I don’t think ACC would be a repeat bc last year was a repeat, but I’m thinking AIC it might be likely for them to repeat a character? Also does anyone do Romeo and Juliet?
Which character do you think they are going to repeat for AIC
Reply 19
In which text do you think the character will repeat? Guessing ACC or AIC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending