The Student Room Group

The Official 2019 Oxford Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tararigchung
I'm a bit confused and was just wondering if there were any fellow philosophy and theology applicants who know- do we have to submit written work *and* the philosophy test or is the philosophy test all the written work the admissions tutors need?

Yes, you have to do both the Philosophy test and then send in written work such as a school essay that has been marked by a teacher. Guessing the test part assesses your aptitude for the philosophy and the written work shows you can string arguments and write well for the theology part, as there is no test specifically for the theology part.
Hey,
I am going to be applying for a mathematics degree to Lincoln College, and I got a question about interviews. How often do they ask combinatorics, and how often do they ask about integration/differentiation? I feel pretty comfortable about graph sketching and calculus, and in my school we did only two weeks of combinatorics. If I somehow state in my PS that I feel comfortable about functions and calculus, is it likely that they are going to focus on that area?
Original post by alprgunes
Hey,
I am going to be applying for a mathematics degree to Lincoln College, and I got a question about interviews. How often do they ask combinatorics, and how often do they ask about integration/differentiation? I feel pretty comfortable about graph sketching and calculus, and in my school we did only two weeks of combinatorics. If I somehow state in my PS that I feel comfortable about functions and calculus, is it likely that they are going to focus on that area?

I'm not sure about the definite answer to this given that I expect it probably varies between colleges/ years but from what I've seen on the internet I think graph sketching usually will appear and that will probably extend to looking at certain points or regions in the graph and so entail calculus. There is lots of material available online with past interview questions for you to look at- I.e. There is a thread on tsr about interview questions.

They probably will want to know about your maths interests- so they will likely talk to you about this to check that you weren't lying. However, they will then move on and try and see how capable of learning new ideas in a tutorial atmosphere you are by trying out something you (probably) won't have seen before, since the idea is that you go to university to learn new things- what's the point if you can't learn in the way they are going to present content to you if you were to attend Oxford.

In terms of combinatorics: there is lots of materials out that can help you with this. In particular, I would recommend introduction to combinatorics (on the ukmt website) as it will help you grasp the ideas needed for interview but also teaches you some more interesting topics that you might enjoy and it may even help you grasp a level/ whatever exams you dos topics more easily.

Remember that you have a long time till interviews and a long summer included so you can read up before then.
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself on this thread, I’m Amy, I’m 19, from the North East of England and I’m currently holding an unconditional offer to read English at Merton. I applied for Oxford twice (once for History at Brasenose, once for English at Merton) and the applicants’ threads on TSR were both a huge help and a source of comfort for me throughout my applications. With that in mind, I’m going to try and keep up with this thread - if anyone has any questions they’d like to ask, please let me know! I’m here to try and help you guys as much as I can.
Reply 284
@BrasenoseAdmHow about if I don’t have the GCSE grades i.e. I didn’t take GCSE before
Here we have it folks - the Official 2019 Oxford Applicants Thread!

What did you get at GCSE?
6 A*'s 4 A's and a B (damn computing coursework)

What A levels are you studying?
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Psychology

What are your AS grades (if this applies to anyone)?
N/A
What are your target/predicted grades?
A*A*A*A (Further Maths)

What extracurriculars do you do?
Lots of reading psychology books, listening to podcasts, doing online psychology courses on Future Learn, psychology essay competition, Debating as well as the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (Silver Award)

What course will you be applying for?
Experimental Psychology

What colleges are you interested in and why?
Christ Church - Beautiful, amazing dining hall and great history (and really rich so grants) seems like a very academic college.
St Catherine's - The college tutor Gaia is really inspiring and its quite large which is nice

Why Oxford and not Cambridge?
Psychology at Oxford is more focused on scientific aspects and empirically testing psychological theories that appeals to me more than Cambridge's course and i also LOVE STATISTICS which Oxford focuses on a lot and Oxford looked amazing when I visited. Visited Cambridge i didn't like it (I know this might be an unpopular opinion) Cambridge doesn't have the traditional and historic aspects to the extent that Oxford does and PBS at Cambridge seems so unstructured and almost too flexible to the point where you a forced to take papers not in psychology.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by QDABC
@BrasenoseAdmHow about if I don’t have the GCSE grades i.e. I didn’t take GCSE before

Sorry we missed your summons as you merged How with Adm.

Could you say what your prior educational record is, whether you are taking A-levels or equivalent, and which course you plan to apply for?
@BrasenoseAdm if I had long term illness which impacted my GCSE grades, am I at a disadvantage when applying to Oxford?
Original post by Flubex
@BrasenoseAdm if I had long term illness which impacted my GCSE grades, am I at a disadvantage when applying to Oxford?

Thanks for the summons.

We would advise selectors to make as much allowance as they can, while continuing to treat all candidates fairly. It always helps if a school sets out circumstances in their reference. Ultimately, GCSEs present some evidence about future potential but selectors also look at more current indicators as well, such as A-level predictions, admissions test scores, and interview performance.

We hope that your health is better now and that you are doing well at 6th form.

Brasenose Admissions
We've just received some news from Undergraduate Admissions which we thought we'd share with readers of this thread.

Following this week’s UK government confirmation that the 2019-entry Home/EU undergraduate fee cap remains at £9,250, and clarification that EU students commencing their studies in 2019 will be able to access student loans for the duration of their course, our UK/EU fees and funding leaflet for undergraduates has been updated. The Oxford and the EU webpage has also been updated this week with this clarification.

Just placing this webinar here for anybody who would like some more information on the application process :smile:

[video="youtube;UK6PqVjgRhY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK6PqVjgRhY[/video]
Original post by amygracebroad
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself on this thread, I’m Amy, I’m 19, from the North East of England and I’m currently holding an unconditional offer to read English at Merton. I applied for Oxford twice (once for History at Brasenose, once for English at Merton) and the applicants’ threads on TSR were both a huge help and a source of comfort for me throughout my applications. With that in mind, I’m going to try and keep up with this thread - if anyone has any questions they’d like to ask, please let me know! I’m here to try and help you guys as much as I can.

If you don't mind me asking, what GCSE grades did you get?
Original post by auolique
If you don't mind me asking, what GCSE grades did you get?

No of course I don’t mind! I got 10A* 2A at GCSE :smile:
Reply 293
@BrasenoseAdm

Hi there, I'm an Australian student studying the IB and hoping to apply for PPE, but I don't have any prior qualifications equivalent to GSCEs. I will also have to take the TSA during the first week of final IB exams, so I'm concerned that I might not do as well as I have on practice papers. I was wondering how circumstances like this generally impact on an application? I'm fairly confident in my ability to tick the boxes in the other aspects, but if there is anything further I could do I'd really appreciate the advice :smile:
Original post by Rachmaninov
1) 11A*s, inc. A^ at further maths.

2) I’ve finished school, and I studied maths, further maths, and I studied History during L6.

3) 2As in Maths and further maths. I also got an A* in an internal history exam, but I’m not sure if that counts!

4) 3A*s

5) more musical commitments than will fit on the internet. No exaggeration. Here’s a summary:
I have 4 grade 8s (piano, guitar, singing and music theory). I sing in 6 choirs (3 out of school), and play the bassoon in 2 orchestras, a wind quintet, an concert band. There’s a lot more but I cba to elaborate.

6) Music - what a surprise.

7) I shall be applying to the Queen’s College, Oxford, as I like the tutors, and I’m good friends with the organ scholar there.

8) Cambridge is undeniably beautiful, however it feels a bit like a University with some shops, whereas Oxford feels more like a proper city, with a University integrated within it. Also transport to Cambridge is a b**** from where I live.

You are a parents dream... Jesus Christ
Original post by gl22
@BrasenoseAdm

Hi there, I'm an Australian student studying the IB and hoping to apply for PPE, but I don't have any prior qualifications equivalent to GSCEs. I will also have to take the TSA during the first week of final IB exams, so I'm concerned that I might not do as well as I have on practice papers. I was wondering how circumstances like this generally impact on an application? I'm fairly confident in my ability to tick the boxes in the other aspects, but if there is anything further I could do I'd really appreciate the advice :smile:

22 Australians received an offer from Oxford last year, which we hope is encouraging. The collegiate university is aware the year 10 school certificate was abolished and the high school certificate (or other qualifications) are taken in the year of exit from secondary education. A strong prediction for the IB would be an advantage in admissions terms.

We're sorry but there won't be any dispensation for the timing of the TSA although we appreciate the circumstances are not ideal for applicants with IB exams.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by zq01
You are a parents dream... Jesus Christ

Haha thanks very much but I’m also socially inept, a nervous wreck, a nightmare to live with and I have multiple mental health issues, so I’m far from perfect! I just work very hard and I’m extremely passionate about music 🙂

Btw sorry I completely forgot to say on part (3) - I studied music a level as well!!!

Xxx
Original post by Rachmaninov
Haha thanks very much but I’m also socially inept, a nervous wreck, a nightmare to live with and I have multiple mental health issues, so I’m far from perfect! I just work very hard and I’m extremely passionate about music 🙂

Btw sorry I completely forgot to say on part (3) - I studied music a level as well!!!

Xxx

I mean, you’re only human. Also no sh*t you’re passionate about music! I’m jealous of how good you are at music😂 I can’t even play a single instrument
Original post by zq01
I mean, you’re only human. Also no sh*t you’re passionate about music! I’m jealous of how good you are at music😂 I can’t even play a single instrument

Never too old to learn! If you want it, go get it 🙂 there’s a national shortage of bassoonists, so that’d be a good one to start, and you’d be well in demand in orchestras etc.

And guitar and piano are good ones to jam along on. 🎶🏳️*🌈
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
22 Australians received an offer from Oxford last year, which we hope is encouraging. The collegiate university is aware the year 10 school certificate was abolished and the high school certificate (or other qualifications) are taken in the year of exit from secondary education. A strong prediction for the IB would be an advantage in admissions terms.

We're sorry but there won't be any dispensation for the timing of the TSA although we appreciate the circumstances are not ideal for applicants with IB exams.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending