The Student Room Group

How to make things stick in my head

1.How do you study effectively
2.How do you make it STICK in your brain and long-term memory
3.How to study Spanish(other than listening to Spanish gibberish on the radio and music)
4. How to get better at Eng, Math Science
5.What to do when NOT studying
6.How do you organise time so you're doing a bit of everything
7.How to improve history
IM DOING HISTORY AND SPANISH GCSE THIS YEAR
8.This is all for me THANK YOUUU
Reply 1
Super glue
make them sharp and use a crossbow
Repetition is key
1. Find a place you can study without people distracting you e.g library or your own room . Also get rid of electronics they are more distracting
2.Write down large facts into more condense smaller versions to read over and over , get someone to test u on it , it helps
3. I did french instead of spanish , if you have an oral spanish exam then record yourself saying your piece and play it back
4. for maths and science just do past papers over and over and over , if u dont get something then go talk to your teacher about it.
5. What i do during revision season is go out on walks , it's very refreshing , maybe go do some sport or chill with a friend .
6.Make a timetable of your day so you have say an hour long for each subject , make sure you leave room for breaks and lunch , and put a time for when u stop working in the evening.
7. Memorize dates and key events in your syllabus then go do practice papers , send some in to your teacher to mark and get feedback on

hope this helped
1.Constant breaks, varied revision methods, e.g. split time between reading notes, writing notes, doing questions
2.Try a site called memrise, for languages duolingo is also good, but more for general improvement.
3.Reading books in Spanish, using sites like memrise/duolingo
4.For maths+science, topic revision then practice questions, self-mark and things you got wrong will stick, repeat. English, make sure you know the mark scheme so you know what you need to include in your essays/analysis/creative writing, and practice
5.Chill, but you can also try doing enjoyable things that are educational, like watching Spanish shows with english subtitles on Netflix.
6.Have in your mind what you're doing when, e.g. 10-12 maths, 0-2 break, 2-4 physics, 4-5... It doesn't have to be a schedule, you can just mentally pre-plan at the start of every day.
7.To improve knowledge, watch documentaries around your topic, for memorising events and event sequence, make mnemonics, for dates you can use memrise, practice essay questions structure.
(edited 6 years ago)
1) Go through the specifications. Make questions on every single point and test yourself over and over again. Write key notes on flashcards. Make sure you understand everything.

2) Test yourself repeatedly.

3) I don't do Spanish but I do French. Write key words or phrases on flashcards and test yourself. Have a list of key phrases and learn them off by heart (again, by testing yourself). Do it everyday. Also, Duolingo is good.

4) English - not my strong point but write practise essays and ask your teacher for feedback. Learn to recognise what the question requires.
Maths - As many practise questions as you can. No other way.
Science - Go through spec and learn everything, then do practise questions.

5) Whatever you want. I read, play football, do some puzzles, eat, speak to friends etc.

6) I make a daily to-do list and have a loose revision timetable.

7) I don't do History, but my friends do. Learn the content and improve your essay writing skills.

8) You're welcome, and good luck.
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
make them sharp and use a crossbow

I rate this
Original post by miss_ambitious
1.How do you study effectively
2.How do you make it STICK in your brain and long-term memory
3.How to study Spanish(other than listening to Spanish gibberish on the radio and music)
4. How to get better at Eng, Math Science
5.What to do when NOT studying
6.How do you organise time so you're doing a bit of everything
7.How to improve history
IM DOING HISTORY AND SPANISH GCSE THIS YEAR
8.This is all for me THANK YOUUU

1. By identifying your weak areas, and targeting them.
2. By going over it. Again and again. The more you learn it, the stronger the pathway of information becomes in your memory.
3. I'm afraid I can't help with Spanish, but having Conversation in the language helps.
4. For maths, practice papers. For science, learning definitions and applying them. For English, writing essays and getting feedback.
5. Don't stress about studying. Have a certain number of hours in the day/week for study and getting homework done, try and not worry about it when you're not. Worrying only means you suffer twice.
6. By planning. Perhaps have each day of the week for an hour of each subject. Keep track of what you're doing so you can read over it and say "Oh, I haven't done any work in the past month for Chemistry, I better do some revision for that"
7. History is again essay writing, and learning the content inside and out.

Hope that helps in some way. ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest