The Student Room Group

A-levels

what are your best tips and ways to revise? I'm in year 13 and currently studying criminology, psychology and sociology.
Original post by pipsqueak06
what are your best tips and ways to revise? I'm in year 13 and currently studying criminology, psychology and sociology.
I don't do any of the subjects you are studying - I study biology, geography and RS. For biology and geography I tend to use flashcards and do practise exam questions and for RS I tend to make mind maps, flashcards, make essay plans and write essays as well.

In terms of timing, I will never revise for more than an hour in one go, I make sure to give myself breaks and that I am hydrated and have eaten enough. It is also important to make sure you are getting enough sleep and are sticking to a consistent routine.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask me :smile:

I do both psychology and sociology, and I say the best way to revise for sociology from myself is flashcards. At my college our teacher provides us with glossaries of key concepts that come within our booklet as well as revision tables and structure on how to answer each question. Sometimes I do past papers to help me understand my strengths or weakness. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 3
it was a month before my sociology exams and i was still getting C's in my mock exams and i barely revised the content for my last socio paper so i decided to go on youtube to teach me the basics and found a page called Study with ATD that taught alevel socio content. It had all the major information and it included examples and dates (esp for the media topic in sociology because i had learnt nothing from my classes in year 13 ) so i copied all of it into mindmaps and highlighted key info etc.... and made flashcards of the examples of evidence so i could read them before my exams and it all worked and i ended up with an A.
Hey !

I didn't study the same a-levels as you but I have sat exams every year since I was in yr11 pretty much!

I found that writing pages and pages of notes wasn't super productive for me and didn't always help me to learn the most In the quickest way. Instead, I found that doing exam questions, finding out my weaker areas and then spending extra time going over this was much more productive for me! I'm now at university and sit exams at the end of each year and I've found that this technique has really helped me!

If there are any areas you really struggle on, try talking to people on your course about them as discussions can often help things stick a bit better in your head!

I hope this helps!
-Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest