The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry

Well atm I'm doing tripple science for GCSE and we sit three modular tests for each subject: Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I'd say the first two Modular tests are fairly easy. I find in Biology and Physics relatively easy its just I seem to find chemistry so BORING and cannot seem to motivate myself to work for it. My teacher is absolutely useless compared to Bio and Phys, she misses really important parts from the modules. I try my best with the revision guide I get to get to understand the modules but I just feel there is no point.

And whats more is I want to do Chemistry for A level and if I don't get a B I won't be able to do it :frown:

Anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
Revise it and revise it. I hated GCSE chemistry and didn't have all that great a teacher either. I came out with an A grade and am actually sitting AS Chemistry this year. You are lucky with chemistry in so far as if you can find some self-motivation (which ultimately only you can provide) it is more or less rote memory learning at the GCSE level. Good luck! - Chemistry is far more enjoyable at A-level than at GCSE by the way!

Jon

EDIT: I agree - House MD is absolutely brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 2
I loved GCSE chemistry, I got 100% in a few of the chemistry modules, but I have a tendancy to like things I'm good at. Came out with an A* in science overall, but I hated doing double award science, would have preferred a triple one.

But anyway,you just have to graft. Personally I loved chemistry, but detested Physics which if I didn't graft at as well I would have come out with a lower mark which would have reflected badly on my chemistry.

Set a time to study, put an alarm clock on on your phone or even in your bedroom, and then work really hard for a certain period of time and reward yourself after. No distractions. It goes quite quickly, surprisingly.

But I can guarantee Chemistry at AS level is much better, in my opinion anyway :P. Think that in a year or so that it will all be over and you'll be happy for working hard as you'll have the grade as the reward, no matter how unappealing it will seem right now :P
I'd say just say to yourself, you need to get a B minimum to get into your desired college. If you keep thinking of the enjoyment after all the slogging you do WHEN you get a brilliant grade you'll see that all that stress and self-motivation will really pay off.

I have never done GCSE physics or chemistry before due to my high school changing courses - so we did this different thing in year 11 and i now do chemistry at AS levevl - so i am brand new to it all. I'm not fond of chemistry as my passion lies with biology but i think to myself - i must motivate myself because if this means i can fulfill my childhood dream as a doctor then it will be worth it. I'm not the brightest button in the box and i'm new to it all so i have to really motivate myself more so than my fellow piers in class but i know with determination anything is possible. Just stick right at it, and think of it as a game, that you must win it!

Good luck!

TBS
The number one thing about chemistry is just learning it. Especially at AS and A2 when you need to remember reactions, reagents and conditions.

Id agree in that AS chem is better than GCSE and A2 is even better than AS! The only difficulty at A2 I find is aliphatic synthesis routes, in which you have to bring together all you know, so you can link different homolous series' together, which becomes quite difficult when you have 10,11 or 12 groups.

So basically the advice is, plough through it at GCSE, you will realise at AS that a lot of what is taught in yr 11 is a "lie" i.e it simplifies difficult concepts. So you kind of have to forget some of what you have learnt anyway.

Just learning thats all, I should know Ive just finished revising form my AS resit on the 10th, and am about to start revising my A2 module for the 29th Jan....lol. Just keep going :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice guys :biggrin:
But Sometimes I think if i pay attention to chemistry too much. My Bio and Phys will get neglected :|

And Good luck TBS :biggrin:
Reply 6
BasiConcept
Well atm I'm doing tripple science for GCSE and we sit three modular tests for each subject: Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I'd say the first two Modular tests are fairly easy. I find in Biology and Physics relatively easy its just I seem to find chemistry so BORING and cannot seem to motivate myself to work for it. My teacher is absolutely useless compared to Bio and Phys, she misses really important parts from the modules. I try my best with the revision guide I get to get to understand the modules but I just feel there is no point.

And whats more is I want to do Chemistry for A level and if I don't get a B I won't be able to do it :frown:

Anyone got any advice?

Oh I didnt know before that we have to get an A to be able to do A level?
That's tough! >.<
I don't really understand what I've learnt at school as well
So I tried to find tutors outside school
I hope this would help :smile:
But it may be much more expensive in the UK than in Thailand?
At the end of the day, the most important thing is the encouragement to learn and revise! :wink: Good luck!
Reply 7
You don't need an A, for most places you need a B or higher, at my sixth form you need a C but the ones with a C are struggling a little, and need extra tuition so its advisable to get a B, and you'll be at an advantage with an A.

Latest