The Student Room Group

Really confused about my a level options

I just started year 12. I chose mandarin, biology, chemistry and geography. I have been really enjoying biology and mandarin but am confused in regards to chemistry and geography. With chemistry, I sat through my first lesson and immediately felt like it wasn't for me- however after having several more lessons I feel ok but am worried these feelings will come back as the course progresses. I was going to change chemistry for history which I really regret not taking. Then there is geography- I really enjoyed geography GCSE but A level feels different and I find myself bored with the content and wishing I was doing history. Should I stick with chemistry and change geography to history or should I change chemistry for history and stick with geography. Keeping in mind I want to go to med school so I need to carefully decide about continuing chemistry.
Original post by tasha_1306
I just started year 12. I chose mandarin, biology, chemistry and geography. I have been really enjoying biology and mandarin but am confused in regards to chemistry and geography. With chemistry, I sat through my first lesson and immediately felt like it wasn't for me- however after having several more lessons I feel ok but am worried these feelings will come back as the course progresses. I was going to change chemistry for history which I really regret not taking. Then there is geography- I really enjoyed geography GCSE but A level feels different and I find myself bored with the content and wishing I was doing history. Should I stick with chemistry and change geography to history or should I change chemistry for history and stick with geography. Keeping in mind I want to go to med school so I need to carefully decide about continuing chemistry.

You'll definitely need chemistry if you're planning on doing med so if you're set on that, then of course keep chemistry. Chemistry is definitely a hard subject so if you're struggling then that's understandable. Remember to stay disciplined and ask for help :smile:
I did history a-level AQA and it was definitely a jump from GCSE. LOTS of content and easy to forget arbitrary stats which you have to memorise so that's something to think about especially as you're taking 4 subjects. It is definitely interesting in my opinion though. I would definitely recommend asking older students in your college about your history department. Some people warned me about the bad organisation of the coursework project for example ( I still took history but it made me more aware to ask for help) . Also look at the grades that the previous years got in your college because sometimes there is a pattern and it might be because of the teachers.
Do what you love. If geography isn't as exciting as you think history would be then definitely enquire about it and see if it's for you. As for chemistry, I'd say to just stick it out. You clearly have a passion for it if you want to go into medicine so just use that passion to help get through the tough bits. I had the same feeling when I started physics in year 12 as it was a big jump and I was struggling a bit but if you tackle the tough bits ASAP, you'll find it a lot more enjoyable as you'll be flying through the course - tough subjects are always fun when you find it easy. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice
Original post by emilyfollin
Do what you love. If geography isn't as exciting as you think history would be then definitely enquire about it and see if it's for you. As for chemistry, I'd say to just stick it out. You clearly have a passion for it if you want to go into medicine so just use that passion to help get through the tough bits. I had the same feeling when I started physics in year 12 as it was a big jump and I was struggling a bit but if you tackle the tough bits ASAP, you'll find it a lot more enjoyable as you'll be flying through the course - tough subjects are always fun when you find it easy. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I think with chemistry I was just a bit overwhelmed by the jump from GCSE and i'm gonna try stick with it :smile:.
Reply 4
I changed to history this week and my first lesson reminded me how much I love the subject. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
If you are not enjoying A level Chemistry, then you will need to rethink Med as its a vital part of the training.
Original post by McGinger
If you are not enjoying A level Chemistry, then you will need to rethink Med as its a vital part of the training.

I completely agree with this. Chem does become fun as you go into the course
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
If you are not enjoying A level Chemistry, then you will need to rethink Med as it’s a vital part of the training.

As I’ve started to get into the course I’m actually really enjoying it I think I was just a bit overwhelmed on the first few lessons after not doing any chemistry since GCSEs :smile:
Reply 8
As I’ve started to get into the course I’m actually really enjoying it I think I was just a bit overwhelmed on the first few lessons after not doing any chemistry since GCSEs :smile:

Im really looking forward till we start organic chemistry since it’s my favourite part and it’s probably what I’m best at though :smile:

If you want to go to med school, then id deffo keep chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest