The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"!

Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, this is Austin.
Reply 2
Alright guys, lets get one thing straight, definitions CHANGE!

And tbh if someone came up to me as part of a group and said "how're all you beautiful gals" I'd have no issue with it.
Alright dudes.
Why does it matter? Everyone knows 'guy's' means a group of people as well as an actual 'guy'.
Apparently...

A guy is a dude, a boy, a man, or really anybody. It's an informal way to refer to a person, especially a male. But a group of people can be guys, even if they're all female. Hey guys!
I don't see why it is such an issue, I have a trans friend and they actually advise saying 'hey guys' because it is inclusive of all genders.
I wouldn’t mind if someone was like wagwan babes.
Hi guys :smile:
No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.
what's up guys it's scarce here
Original post by Faye__1996

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.

If it was very normal to address a mixed-sex group of people with "hey girls" then I wouldn't care at all. You're fully aware that "hey guys" is gender neutral so why make a fuss about it?

Thanks.

stop reading too far into common phrases.
Surely saying 'girls and boys' is more offensive as it confines the people to just one gender? 'Hey guys' lets them be open and you don't assume their gender. I mean that is how I see it because whenever there is a group of girls i always say 'hey guys', and same for just boys and same for a mixed group.
People asking why it matters - the language we use influences how we think, how society thinks. Yes guys is generally accepted to mean a group of people. But why was it started to be used that way, why wasn't the female version taken as the universal one?

Why do you say niños in Spanish as soon as one of the kids is a boy? And not niñas? It's the same principle. It's not like you are personally hurt by saying "all" instead of "guys", so why laugh at this idea?

You should use a more reputable dictionary. Guys, in both British and US usage is defined as an informal term for people of either sex.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/guy

http://chambers.co.uk/search/?query=guy&title=21st
It's like MANkind, dogs are a MANs best friend. You say definitions change but so do the way we think as a society (I hope). Obviously when man-kind, 'man' (plural) was adopted, men were considered the superior gender. Thankfully now due to feminism etc people are finally recognising that all genders are equal. SO we should refer to all people as humankind NOT mankind. It is not inclusive of anyone who does not identify as a man.

Also, saying hey 'guys' may be offensive to anyone who does not identify as a guy. For example, if someone is transitioning male > female they may even take offense to this. Why is it okay for a group to be addressed by 'guys' instead of 'girls'? It is automatically implying you're addressing the guys more than the girls. And if 'guys' is gender neutral (as you all say) why is 'girls' not gender neutral? Walk up to your non female identifying colleagues / friends etc and announce 'hey girls!' and I bet they laugh.
If OP learns about masculine plurals in French and other languages, its head might explode.
Original post by Good bloke
You should use a more reputable dictionary. Guys, in both British and US usage is defined as an informal term for people of either sex.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/guy

http://chambers.co.uk/search/?query=guy&title=21st

The first definition on your first link is 'A guy is a man.'

If there is true gender equality, WHY is 'girls' not a gender-neutral informal greeting for all genders, too?

Latest

Trending

Trending