The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Maths.

Hello, a quick question on the mark scheme for edexcel IGCSE maths papers, I will be sitting 1 F and 2 F in January. On past papers I am happy with my scores at present, this was until I got a horrible thought in my head about the marking of the papers.

It appears that for example, a 5 mark question may be broken into four M1 marks and one A1 mark. I find that I am getting many correct answers but my working out may not match what the exam marking guide has in black and white, my working may be more long winded or not presented in "Textbook" perfection. So really, can I use whatever relevant method works for myself to get a correct answer and gain all five marks, or would I lose up to four M1 and get the A1 mark?

Are the M1 marks a "safety net" for wrong answers written down, or do they contribute to the full five marks?

As seen below, I believe this to mean that unless your method is completely off the charts wrong and you somehow guess a correct answer you will be awarded the full marks and that if a correct answer is provided working out may not even be looked at?

"If there is a wrong answer indicated on the answer line always
check the working in the body of the script (and on any
diagrams), and award any marks appropriate from the mark
scheme.
If it is clear from the working that the “correct” answer has
been obtained from incorrect working, award 0 marks."

I appreciate this is difficult to read, I am no examiner and am having trouble phrasing my question regarding this and that dependant on the question there could be different outcomes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by philip1234
Hello, a quick question on the mark scheme for edexcel IGCSE maths papers, I will be sitting 1 F and 2 F in January. On past papers I am happy with my scores at present, this was until I got a horrible thought in my head about the marking of the papers.

It appears that for example, a 5 mark question may be broken into four M1 marks and one A1 mark. I find that I am getting many correct answers but my working out may not match what the exam marking guide has in black and white, my working may be more long winded or not presented in "Textbook" perfection. So really, can I use whatever relevant method works for myself to get a correct answer and gain all five marks, or would I lose up to four M1 and get the A1 mark?

Are the M1 marks a "safety net" for wrong answers written down, or do they contribute to the full five marks?

As seen below, I believe this to mean that unless your method is completely off the charts wrong and you somehow guess a correct answer you will be awarded the full marks and that if a correct answer is provided working out may not even be looked at?

"If there is a wrong answer indicated on the answer line always
check the working in the body of the script (and on any
diagrams), and award any marks appropriate from the mark
scheme.
If it is clear from the working that the “correct” answer has
been obtained from incorrect working, award 0 marks."

I appreciate this is difficult to read, I am no examiner and am having trouble phrasing my question regarding this and that dependant on the question there could be different outcomes.

Im taking edexcell igcse maths in jan too! I think the mark scheme says that if you get the right answer, your workings out are presumed correct and you get all the marks for that question. If you get the question wrong or it is a proof you, give or take, have to completely match your workings out with the markscheme to get the appropriate marks.
(Thats how im marking my practise papers anyway!)
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by wagwana
Im taking edexcell igcse maths in jan too! I think the mark scheme says that if you get the right answer, your workings out are presumed correct and you get all the marks for that question. If you get the question wrong or it is a proof you, give or take, have to completely match your workings out with the markscheme to get the appropriate marks.
(Thats how im marking my practise papers anyway!)
Good luck :smile:

Ah cool how are you getting on with your revision? Past paper after past paper ☠️

I was just curious for the marks being awarded as I had spooked myself into thinking only the method listed is acceptable.
Original post by philip1234
Ah cool how are you getting on with your revision? Past paper after past paper ☠️

I was just curious for the marks being awarded as I had spooked myself into thinking only the method listed is acceptable.

Ive done about 3/4 of them. I try to keep reminding myself that in 2 weeks I won't have to do anymore. Pretty gassed that I just got 100% in the June 2013 3H one! :zomg:

Do you know how to do the line thing? Where they give you a graph of an equation and by drawing a straight line on the graph you solve a slightly different equation?? I'm self teaching and I can't find anything about it in textbooks or online :K:

Good luck with your revision!

Quick Reply

Latest