The Student Room Group

p value and significance value

is p value another way of saying significance value
Yes.

A small p-value (typically 0.05) indicates strong evidence against the null hypothesis, so you reject the null hypothesis.

A large p-value (> 0.05) indicates weak evidence against the null hypothesis, so you fail to reject the null hypothesis.

Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Yes.

A small p-value (typically 0.05) indicates strong evidence against the null hypothesis, so you reject the null hypothesis.

A large p-value (> 0.05) indicates weak evidence against the null hypothesis, so you fail to reject the null hypothesis.

is p value another way of saying significant value?
Original post by celina10
is p value another way of saying significant value?

It is not the same as the significance value but of course it is related as that is how significant the result is!

Basically, it is a measure of how strong the evidence is.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
It is not the same as the significance value but of course it is related as that is how significant the result is!

Basically, it is a measure of how strong the evidence is.

if I get a value of 0.000 for the significant value on spss can I report this as 0.000?
Original post by celina10
if I get a value of 0.000 for the significant value on spss can I report this as 0.000?

I would presume so, it has no effect on the dependent variable.
Hi, a p value of 0.000 would in theory, be interpreted as "the probability of your two sets of results being DIFFERENT due to chance is zero" - in other words, it implies that there is DEFINITELY (=100%) a difference between your test results and your placebo results. Such a result NEVER occurs in any live experiment, as perfection is [especially in a biomedical experiment, in which variability is intrinsically engrained], by definition, impossible.

I would be inclined to set your SPSS to give a result to a greater degree of accuracy e.g. to 5 or 6 decimal places, in which case you might end up with a p value with a more realistic meaning e.g. 0.00005!

Thanks,
M

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending