The Student Room Group

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
I don’t know what you’re talking about. I never said that H&M are racist. In fact, I said that I don’t think they are racist. You just wanted to say that.

As for your last point, I don’t agree.

You missed my point. You asked why those taking offence are racist themselves. I explained. Succinctly, it is because they assume that any use of the word 'monkey' by white people in connection with black people must be racist. I demonstrated that it isn't.

As for my last point, which was split into two, what do you disagree with? Do you think that H&M meant to give offence? Or do you believe that needless offence should be taken?
Has anyone considered that for photo shoots like this usually the parent or a nominated adult has to be in attendance. If the parents were there and did not take offence then why should we?
After Inflation eroded my income, I have to shop at H&M instead of USC :s-smilie::frown:
Original post by nutz99
Has anyone considered that for photo shoots like this usually the parent or a nominated adult has to be in attendance. If the parents were there and did not take offence then why should we?

Presumably because the parents are the sort of tame coconuts that shouldn't ever be called a brother?
Original post by Good bloke
You missed my point. You asked why those taking offence are racist themselves. I explained. Succinctly, it is because they assume that any use of the word 'monkey' by white people in connection with black people must be racist. I demonstrated that it isn't.

As for my last point, which was split into two, what do you disagree with? Do you think that H&M meant to give offence? Or do you believe that needless offence should be taken?

I don’t see how you can call that first part racist (bolded) if you’ve also said in your previous post that something can only be deemed as racist if there’s intent. (This is what I disagree with btw)
By getting offended so much by an unintentional mistake,you are only giving more power to this racist view that all black people are monkeys.Why not stay quite and everybody act normal and let this offensive stereotype die on its own?Stop giving this stereotype so much power.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by arizonaidiot
By getting offended so much by an unintentional mistake,you are only giving more power to this racist view that all black people are monkeys.Why not stay quite and everybody act normal and let this offensive stereotype die on its own?Stop giving this stereotype so much power.

I used to think this way also but sometimes you need to stand up in order fight a stereotype, even if the comment or action was made out of ignorance. Whilst a more extreme example, have you ever heard the expression "n word in the woodpile"? it is used in some old novels, it's analogy from many years ago. if uproar over the decades wasn't made over such expressions, they would still probably be used today, in fact a Tory MP faced backlash over this phrase a few months ago despite no racist intention in the context of the discussion.
distasteful and poor marketing but not racist obviously
Original post by Amazon_Lover
It is racist becos ppl only associate black ppl wid monkeys !

what??
When I thought 2018 would be less SJW... I was wrong.
Reply 130
Which bit of it is meant to be racist? The cool bit? The monkey bit? or the Jungle bit?

I don't see how it could be racist on any level.

Nobody looks like a monkey. Monkeys are small, hairy, can't speak and have tails. I don't know anyone black or white who looks like that. Either way, you get black skinned monkeys and white skinned monkeys - so I don't see how a comparison could be drawn.
(edited 6 years ago)
It obviously wasn't intentionally racist. Weirdly, they probably could have had an all white cast of models and faced no accusations at all. It's more a careless attention to detail, and it sucks that we live in an era where a company/person can have their character destroyed for such a thing. It all seems very toxic, with people unwilling to think reasonably.

But, seriously, who they hell wouldn't notice that before putting it out? Surely there's somebody whose job it is to look for these things. Rookie mistake.
Lmaooo okay now you’re just reaching
Reply 133
Original post by Josh827
wow its 2018, and people get sensitive over a ****ing hoodie jesus christ...
edit thanks for them green bars

What is this supposed to mean...? So if there was a hoodie that had racial remarks on it we shouldn't care because it's just a hoodie? It's no different than any other case of racism.

Personally, I do not think they meant any harm doing this and I doubt they consciously though about it (or if they did, they meant it in a non-discriminatory way). However, whoever is in charge of marketing at H&M definitely needs to be fired - they're not doing their job right.
Original post by Wikia
What is this supposed to mean...? So if there was a hoodie that had racial remarks on it we shouldn't care because it's just a hoodie? It's no different than any other case of racism.

Personally, I do not think they meant any harm doing this and I doubt they consciously though about it (or if they did, they meant it in a non-discriminatory way). However, whoever is in charge of marketing at H&M definitely needs to be fired - they're not doing their job right.

umm yea its completely different...

whats worse?
- black kid wearing a hoodie about monkeys

- killing thousands of people because they arent your race/religion

we shouldnt care because there are much worse problems in the world with racism yet everyone is focused on a little mishap by h and m instead of focusing on the bigger issues.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42603960/hm-apologises-over-racist-image-of-black-boy-in-hoodie

People on social media have called H&M "racist" for showing a black child modelling a hoodie that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle.'

Some are calling for a boycott of the brand over the picture, while others defended the retailer.

H&M has said: "We apologise to anyone this may have offended." People took to Twitter to describe the image published by the Swedish chain as inappropriate and offensive. The photograph was being using in the children's section of the UK site and some people weren't happy.

I'm just butt-hurt as i don't know where i'm gonna get my cheap clothing for The Weeknd anymore :frown:
Tbf, I reckon the green suits him more than the orange would.... so if that's what they were basing it on....
Original post by Quixote.
Tbf, I reckon the green suits him more than the orange would.... so if that's what they were basing it on....

Lool if u look at the white kid, he looks shocked from the black kids hoodie haha.
It was just a black boy wearing a hoodie that said Monkey.

How can that be racist in any single way.......
H&M didn't put any thought into choosing certain kids to wear certain hoodies, and they certainly weren't trying to be racist. And quite frankly, in a world where all races are equal, they shouldn't need to use a thought process for this. Seriously, people need to stop overreacting to things, and just move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending