The Student Room Group

To those who got an A* in Further Maths

How did you go about this? At the moment I'm trying to save the majority of my exam board's past papers until the weeks leading up to the exam. This leaves me with a good few months of prep before that. Now with A-level maths (non-further) there are plenty of other great resources like IGYB papers, Solomon papers, etc. however not so much for further maths. I know that there are Solomon papers for the old further pure modules, but having looked at a few they seem completely different the spec nowadays, and so not as valuable. So aside from the exam papers on your board, what were the most effective things you did?
Original post by osamabinfishing
How did you go about this? At the moment I'm trying to save the majority of my exam board's past papers until the weeks leading up to the exam. This leaves me with a good few months of prep before that. Now with A-level maths (non-further) there are plenty of other great resources like IGYB papers, Solomon papers, etc. however not so much for further maths. I know that there are Solomon papers for the old further pure modules, but having looked at a few they seem completely different the spec nowadays, and so not as valuable. So aside from the exam papers on your board, what were the most effective things you did?

Hi, I got an A* in AQA Further maths a level last year. I’m very similar to you in the sense that past papers are a valuable resource. But I think further maths is more about understanding how and why stuff works rather than being an exam machine. If you can understand each topic deeply, that’s what’s gonna work in your favour in the exam because they throw some huge curveballs in every exam. I used khan academy as a valuable resource ( khan academy is a website with lots of vids , if ur unaware).

I know further maths is the best of the best mathematicians but if you can get roughly 75% as a raw percentage, that’ll be extremely high UMS , because even these private schooled kids can’t cope

Quick Reply

Latest