The Student Room Group

I got a B in AS level computer science but wanted to apply to Cambridge Comp Sci

So as the title says I got a B in AS level computer Science but for my other subjects I achieved much much better. Here is a list of all my exam results:
A* in A2 maths(93%)
A in AS maths
A in AS further maths(99%)
B in AS Computer Science
Also done quite a bit of Maths Olympiads and find myself programming competitively quite regularly.
I do feel that in some way it was down to some of the essentially non existent teaching at my school for computer science but I don't want to make excuses for myself. I just want to know if I still have a chance of getting into Cambridge because of my B grade in Comp Sci

PS+:colone:xtenuating Circumstances : Family in war and parent died before the exams - I doubt this will mean anything but just putting it here just in case lol.
Thanks to anyone who does give me any ideas btw - much appreciated :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by PsychoticBeanBag
So as the title says I got a B in AS level computer Science but for my other subjects I achieved much much better. Here is a list of all my exam results:
A* in A2 maths(93%)
A in AS maths
A in AS further maths(99%)
B in AS Computer Science
Also done quite a bit of Maths Olympiads and find myself programming competitively quite regularly.
I do feel that in some way it was down to some of the essentially non existent teaching at my school for computer science but I don't want to make excuses for myself. I just want to know if I still have a chance of getting into Cambridge because of my B grade in Comp Sci

PS+:colone:xtenuating Circumstances : Family in war and parent died before the exams - I doubt this will mean anything but just putting it here just in case lol.
Thanks to anyone who does give me any ideas btw - much appreciated :smile:

Given that Cambridge don't event require Computer Science A level to apply for their Computer Science degree (and 59% of entrants during 2017-2019 took A level Computing), and that your Maths / Further Maths is clearly excellent, I suspect that the B as AS won't be an issue - unless your school/college predict a B at A2, that is.

You already have you Maths A2 grade, but not your Further Maths or Computer Science. Does that mean you did you Maths AS a year early, and took Maths A2 during Year 12, alongside AS for Further Maths and Computer Science?

As for those awful family circumstances, Cambridge will absolutely take that into account.
Original post by DataVenia
Given that Cambridge don't event require Computer Science A level to apply for their Computer Science degree (and 59% of entrants during 2017-2019 took A level Computing), and that your Maths / Further Maths is clearly excellent, I suspect that the B as AS won't be an issue - unless your school/college predict a B at A2, that is.

You already have you Maths A2 grade, but not your Further Maths or Computer Science. Does that mean you did you Maths AS a year early, and took Maths A2 during Year 12, alongside AS for Further Maths and Computer Science?

As for those awful family circumstances, Cambridge will absolutely take that into account.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
I was very confused because I wasn't sure if my application would be worthwhile but saw that Cambridge stress maths for the computer science course. During year 12, I finished AS maths by Christmas and studied A2 maths whilst also studying AS further maths alongside it, hence why I have both of those grades. As for cs, I just make do with whatever they seem to be teaching in school which doesn't tend to be much.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
I was very confused because I wasn't sure if my application would be worthwhile but saw that Cambridge stress maths for the computer science course. During year 12, I finished AS maths by Christmas and studied A2 maths whilst also studying AS further maths alongside it, hence why I have both of those grades. As for cs, I just make do with whatever they seem to be teaching in school which doesn't tend to be much.

I think your application would certainly be worthwhile Good luck! :crossedf:
So as the title says I got a B at AS level but got an A* in A level maths(93%)(sat early) an A in AS maths and an A in AS further Maths(98%). I have also participated and done quite well in a lot of maths Olympiads and find myself competitively programming quite often but the computer science teaching at my school is quite appalling to be frank. Is there any chance of me getting into the University of Cambridge or should I just scrap the whole application all together. Extenuating circumstances : Loss of a parent and family in war before exams - doubt it would explain much but here just in case.

I say go for it! You got pretty good grades and they meet the requirements of Cambridge University.I don’t think that 1 B can hinder your chances of success.I do think that you should use the situation to your advantage ( sorry if it sounds insensitive) should they ask why you got a B for comp sci.Again these grades are above average and you should pat your self on the back for achieving these even with your situation.Also may your family members rest in peace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending