The Student Room Group

Cambridge university natural sciences

I've got all 9s at GCSE and I'm deciding my a levels. I really want to do natural science at Cambridge and I'm wondering whether it would be better for me to biology, chemistry and maths at level rather than my preferred subjects of chemistry, biology and geography. What is best?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've got all 9s at GCSE and I'm deciding my a levels. I really want to do natural science at Cambridge and I'm wondering whether it would be better for me to biology, chemistry and maths at level rather than my preferred subjects of chemistry, biology and geography. What is best?

I think maths is needed as I know someone who was given an offer that was an A* in maths as she didn't do further maths so strong maths skills are a priority.
Reply 2
Original post by sophier2005
I think maths is needed as I know someone who was given an offer that was an A* in maths as she didn't do further maths so strong maths skills are a priority.

Would doing further maths make me more likely to receive an offer?
Would doing further maths make me more likely to receive an offer?

I believe it would make your offer AA in maths and further maths compared to an A* in just maths. It all depends on the other people applying for the same course and how they're doing. It might be easier to just focus on maths but you could do an AS in further maths to see how you would do.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

It's very uncommon for people not to have maths at least to A-level, and vanishingly uncommon for successful applicants to not have 3 STEM subjects as I understand it.

There is technically a route for those who don't have A-level Maths aiming to do all biological options but I believe even this assumes roughly AS level maths material (and if you don't have that they send you content to study in the summer before going up). I think that's also really more for people who didn't have A-level Maths available to them or who only realised too late they want to apply.

You would be much less competitive (perhaps even non-competitive) doing chemistry/biology/geography for natsci at Cambridge to my understanding. If that is your goal you should be aiming to do maths, since all sciences at degree level are necessarily mathematical to varying extents. The artificial divide between maths and the sciences in school is not how the sciences actually work in reality.

If you struggle with maths then equally there's probably an argument that you would struggle with the natsci course at Cambridge (and struggle to get competitive scores on any admissions tests and in interview).
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
It's very uncommon for people not to have maths at least to A-level, and vanishingly uncommon for successful applicants to not have 3 STEM subjects as I understand it.

There is technically a route for those who don't have A-level Maths aiming to do all biological options but I believe even this assumes roughly AS level maths material (and if you don't have that they send you content to study in the summer before going up). I think that's also really more for people who didn't have A-level Maths available to them or who only realised too late they want to apply.

You would be much less competitive (perhaps even non-competitive) doing chemistry/biology/geography for natsci at Cambridge to my understanding. If that is your goal you should be aiming to do maths, since all sciences at degree level are necessarily mathematical to varying extents. The artificial divide between maths and the sciences in school is not how the sciences actually work in reality.

If you struggle with maths then equally there's probably an argument that you would struggle with the natsci course at Cambridge (and struggle to get competitive scores on any admissions tests and in interview).

Thanks so much 🙂 I'm definitely going to do a level maths now
Reply 6

Do maths. As per the Cam website, assuming you are doing Biological NatSci;

Natural Sciences (Biological)
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades three A* (76% of entrants). These successful applicants typically took Mathematics (99%), Further Mathematics (37%), Biology (98%), Chemistry (96%) and Physics (26%).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending