The Student Room Group

Alevel combination (urgently needs help)

Is it better to take maths, economics, accounting OR maths, economics, further math?

Because as I know accounting is counted as non-preferred subject in some top UK uni. But further math might be counted as one subject alongside with math.

I might want to pursue acturial science or financial economics but I am not exactly sure.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jeannnnnn
Is it better to take maths, economics, accounting OR maths, economics, further math?
Because as I know accounting is counted as non-preferred subject in some top UK uni. But further math might be counted as one subject alongside with math.
I might want to pursue acturial science or financial economics but I am not exactly sure.

It depends on which university you want to go to and what subject you would prefer to study. If your concern is that accounting isn’t a preferred subject and you would rather have a preferred subject for the university you want to go to, don’t study accounting and take further maths. However, just because a subject isn’t “preferred” doesn’t mean it isn’t accepted, or that you won’t get in because you didn’t take a preferred subject. If you would rather study accounting and think you’ll do better in it, study accounting. It won’t disadvantage you massively as long as you have the required subjects a university asks for. I would say for what you want to study, it seems that accounting would probably be more useful, rather than further maths. If you feel like you can manage it, I’d try and push for doing 4 A levels, as further maths is just an extension of mathematical topics that you learn at A level, and will help you grasp harder mathematical concepts you’ll have to learn at university. If not, I would just stick with maths, economics and accounting for your A levels. People often underestimate the difficulty of A level maths, so if I were you, I’d play it safe.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
It depends on which university you want to go to and what subject you would prefer to study. If your concern is that accounting isn’t a preferred subject and you would rather have a preferred subject for the university you want to go to, don’t study accounting and take further maths. However, just because a subject isn’t “preferred” doesn’t mean it isn’t accepted, or that you won’t get in because you didn’t take a preferred subject. If you would rather study accounting and think you’ll do better in it, study accounting. It won’t disadvantage you massively as long as you have the required subjects a university asks for. I would say for what you want to study, it seems that accounting would probably be more useful, rather than further maths. If you feel like you can manage it, I’d try and push for doing 4 A levels, as further maths is just an extension of mathematical topics that you learn at A level, and will help you grasp harder mathematical concepts you’ll have to learn at university. If not, I would just stick with maths, economics and accounting for your A levels. People often underestimate the difficulty of A level maths, so if I were you, I’d play it safe.

I wanted to focus on 3 subjects only so I don’t think I’m taking 4 subjects. And I think I am able to score for both accounting and further math…. I also heard that further math is useful for degree in acturial and economics
Reply 3
I wanted to focus on 3 subjects only so I don’t think I’m taking 4 subjects. And I think I am able to score for both accounting and further math…. I also heard that further math is useful for degree in acturial and economics

Further maths is very useful in an economics degree, however it’s not necessary. Because you seem more interested in the financial aspect of economics, I would lean more towards accounting as this would help you understand whether you really want to do actuarial science or financial economics. Either way, you have maths in there and that is enough for either degree.
Reply 4

Unless you are doing medicine always, always do math and further math. Schools look very favourably on those students. In fact I have heard of people just doing those when they apply the university bend over backwards to help then getting admitted. I have a degree in math and even for jobs not related to math I can tell you it always impressed recruiters. Math shows you can THINK.
Reply 5
Original post by hobba
Unless you are doing medicine always, always do math and further math. Schools look very favourably on those students. In fact I have heard of people just doing those when they apply the university bend over backwards to help then getting admitted. I have a degree in math and even for jobs not related to math I can tell you it always impressed recruiters. Math shows you can THINK.

does it mean that taking Alevels further math will be more advantage than accounting? In the case that I can score A* for both.
Reply 6
IMHO, yes. Could you look at it this way? Doing FM shows you can think logically. Your degree will teach you accounting if that is your desire.
Reply 7
Original post by hobba
IMHO, yes. Could you look at it this way? Doing FM shows you can think logically. Your degree will teach you accounting if that is your desire.

but will math and further math be seen as one subject in uni?
Reply 8

They are seen as two separate subjects but if maths is required, further maths generally isn’t accepted in place of it. If you’re going to do further maths, you should be doing maths as well.

No - why not look at some unis and their preferred a levels.

What grade are you working at in Maths GCSE?
Reply 10
Original post by bibachu
They are seen as two separate subjects but if maths is required, further maths generally isn’t accepted in place of it. If you’re going to do further maths, you should be doing maths as well.

yaya im going to take math, economics, further math if its say that further math will be have more advantages but Im worry if both math will be seen as one subject.
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
No - why not look at some unis and their preferred a levels.
What grade are you working at in Maths GCSE?

I scored A* for igcse math and add math…. I have no specific unis to go to right now so can’t really do research.
I scored A* for igcse math and add math…. I have no specific unis to go to right now so can’t really do research.

OK so look at the degree requirements for the subjects you might study.

F Maths is more useful than accountancy.

while top unis do prefer further maths if you do economics, it really doesn't matter that much, and it is based more on your grade. so if you think you are more likely to get a top grade in accounting than further maths, id pick that

while top unis do prefer further maths if you do economics, it really doesn't matter that much, and it is based more on your grade. so if you think you are more likely to get a top grade in accounting than further maths as it is a lot easier, id pick that. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing further maths unless you get a 8/9 in GCSE maths, ik people who are struggling with normal yr13 maths and they got a 9 in gcse
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
OK so look at the degree requirements for the subjects you might study.
F Maths is more useful than accountancy.

alright so in ur opinion, u would recommend me to take FM right?
Reply 16
Original post by cyberd00m
while top unis do prefer further maths if you do economics, it really doesn't matter that much, and it is based more on your grade. so if you think you are more likely to get a top grade in accounting than further maths as it is a lot easier, id pick that. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing further maths unless you get a 8/9 in GCSE maths, ik people who are struggling with normal yr13 maths and they got a 9 in gcse

what if in the case that im able to score A* in both accounting and FM? I scored A* in igcse math and add math.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
what if in the case that im able to score A* in both accounting and FM? I scored A* in igcse math and add math.

then I would definitely recommend you do further maths, there was a report done and like 93% of Cambridge Econ students did further maths so it would definitely increase your chances but its not a must
yaya im going to take math, economics, further math if its say that further math will be have more advantages but Im worry if both math will be seen as one subject.
Further maths is more advantageous, but that’s because it’s hard. Do not underestimate the difficulty of further maths. I know people who excelled at maths GCSE and are struggling in regular maths, let alone further maths. Have you attended any open days at sixth forms or colleges? I’d recommend talking to people who actually take the subject so you can get a feel for what it’s like.
Unless you’re very good at time management don’t do further maths, I did maths, fm and computer science and the amount of time that my a levels took up was insane. When I was applying for unis I applied to 4 russel group unis and all of them accepted me with my choices for a computer science degree (and I study at one now) so they definitely see further maths separately to maths but just consider your own mental health and lifestyle. Further maths is so hard and I think the majority of my friends who took it found it really stressful as I did. Accounting sounds like a decent choice and I expect it won’t be too hard, but also maybe consider doing a 3rd subject that’s not maths based for some variety? I’d just be concerned that doing the same things all the time might be a bit bland. Taking chemistry or biology for agricultural science may be helpful (not sure which it’s really not my field). I initially did a level art as well but had to drop it since the coursework for it combined with compsci was overwhelming. Also to provide a bit of extra context on my experience I got a 9 in GCSE maths and an 8 in GCSE further maths, and then a B in maths a level and a C in further maths a level.

Quick Reply

Latest