The Student Room Group

Physics wave question

Calculate the path difference between the two aerials

distance from 2 aerials is 2.5m
phase difference is 114 degrees
frequency is 125x10^6 is
The 2 aerials receive the same radio signel
have found out path difference to be 0.32 lamda by finding phase difference to be 0.64 and then I'm fed it for phase difference but don't know where to go from there
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by Hasham123
bump

I'm not clear what you're trying to do.

Are you trying to convert 0.32 lamda to metres?

If that's the case, just use the wave equation to change that frequency to a wavelength.

If that's not what you're trying to do, can you clarify (or post the full question) so someone here can help?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
don't know either but don't I need wave speed to get get wavelength from frequency
Reply 5
If these are radio waves then the speed is 3 x 10 ^ 8
Original post by Hasham123
Calculate the path difference between the two aerials

distance from 2 aerials is 2.5m
phase difference is 114 degrees
frequency is 125x10^6 is
The 2 aerials receive the same radio signel
have found out path difference to be 0.32 lamda by finding phase difference to be 0.64 and then I'm fed it for phase difference but don't know where to go from there

The first four lines are part of the question right? You found the phase difference as 0.64 and path difference as 0.32. Alright, pls show your working. Do you by chance have the true values for the path difference?

Anyways, I've worked it out though Im not sure if it is the correct answer.

wav eqn.png
That's the formula I've used.
First I found the wavelength of the signal using eqn: λ= v/f where v= 3E8 , f is mentioned.
λ= 2.4 m

Then I converted the phase difference from 114 degrees into fraction form which is :-
Attachment not found

so yeah Im getting the path difference as 0.76 m Is it right?

Quick Reply

Latest