The Student Room Group

Aspiring Oxbridge alumni

I'm in year nine, but does anyone know what I need to do to get into either Oxford or Cambridge? Or how to get a majority of nines in my GCSE's
Why only Oxford or Cambridge, there are many other brilliant unis out there like Imperial or LSE whcih should also be in your target list (depending on your course of your choice, ofc).
(edited 6 years ago)
you need to focus, focus, focus
Original post by Nazeera10
I'm in year nine, but does anyone know what I need to do to get into either Oxford or Cambridge? Or how to get a majority of nines in my GCSE's

Which subject(s) do you want to read?

The basic requirement is to really understand the relevant subjects. GCSE grades are typically not the biggest factor, and can be compensated for by other things. Many subjects at Oxford have their own entrance tests, which gives you a chance to shine.
Reply 4
Original post by Çharmander
Why only Oxford or Cambridge, there are many other brilliant unis out there like Imperial or LSE whcih should also be in your target list (depending on your course of your choice, ofc).

If it was possible, I would apply to every university in the country just so I would have all the options open. But no one in my immediate family has ever been to university before and so I just want to do what they could never do.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
you need to focus, focus, focus

Thanks, I'll try but I haven't picked my options yet, I have until the end of next week. Also, I get stressed really easily. Any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
Which subject(s) do you want to read?

The basic requirement is to really understand the relevant subjects. GCSE grades are typically not the biggest factor, and can be compensated for by other things. Many subjects at Oxford have their own entrance tests, which gives you a chance to shine.

Thank you that was really helpful.
Original post by Nazeera10
Thanks, I'll try but I haven't picked my options yet, I have until the end of next week. Also, I get stressed really easily. Any tips?

dont stress.
Don't worry about it - I wasn't even aware that Oxford and Cambridge existed when I was in Year 9! Pick the subjects you enjoy the most and then do as well as you can, rather than choosing subjects you think look impressive/difficult. You'll get far better results by just doing what you like rather than what you think you 'should' do as a prospective Oxbridge applicant. Relax for now, and revisit this Oxbridge idea after GCSEs. Good luck :smile:
Pick the subjects you like and do best in. Work hard and hopefully get good grades. Then do the same for A-levels. And in a couple of years you can start thinking about uni, but don't worry about it for now. Oxbridge isn't the only place in the world, there are lots of other great places out there.
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
Oxbridge isn't the only place in the world, there are lots of other great places out there.

Or two places... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

like Manchester and..

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury

The way some people post on TSR you'd be forgiven for thinking it was one place :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending