The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

Hi, I am deciding between Oxford and Cambridge to study law, however, the problem I have is that My GCSE grades were not that impressive, they were at most average and not something one could boast about. I currently take Economics Business studies, Psychology and an AS in Maths and an EPQ. However I have heard that Oxbridge does not like Business studies, I do really want to go to Oxbridge and I'm predicted all A's but because of my GCSES, I feel like I'm at a bad advantage. And even though, I'm not sure which Uni to even choose
Reply 1
Umm have you looked at the course structures and which you prefer? There are a lot of websites comparing the locations in general, alumni etc if you just dig around.
Reply 2
Go to the open days and get it from the horses

Original post by C_H_B
Umm have you looked at the course structures and which you prefer? There are a lot of websites comparing the locations in general, alumni etc if you just dig around.

Go to the open days and ask the course tutors.28/29th June Oxford 6/7thJuly. Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am deciding between Oxford and Cambridge to study law, however, the problem I have is that My GCSE grades were not that impressive, they were at most average and not something one could boast about. I currently take Economics Business studies, Psychology and an AS in Maths and an EPQ. However I have heard that Oxbridge does not like Business studies, I do really want to go to Oxbridge and I'm predicted all A's but because of my GCSES, I feel like I'm at a bad advantage. And even though, I'm not sure which Uni to even choose

The average 8/9 grades for a successful Oxford law applicant is 8 or 9. I did know someone who got into Cambridge law with quite a modest set of GCSEs, but he failed to meet his offer of a*aa. He then changed to history and politics and got into Oxford. Cambridge are quite forgiving about gcse but expect you to step up at a level.
Reply 4
cambridge
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

In December 2001, my brother's friend G, got interviewed by Kings College, Cambridge University with only 5B 4C GCSEs but he had AAAA predicted in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. But his interview went terribly. :frown: But he still got into Imperial College London for Computer Science.

So Cambridge University will certainly invite you for an interview, as long as you have A*AA and above predicted, but ideally you need A*A*A or A*A*A* to have a realistic chance of being made an offer for Law Tripos.

Have you looked at which College you are going to apply to? :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending