The Student Room Group

Should an aspiring artist/writer pursue a degree?

I've always believed that university kills creativity and if an artist/writer is serious about being published and succeed then thy should focus on developing their craft rather than pursue a degree which will be an expensive investment.
Reply 1
The two are not mutually exclusive and to be honest, I struggle to see why you think they are.

What evidence is there that university kills creativity? On what are you basing this claim?
Original post by gjd800
The two are not mutually exclusive and to be honest, I struggle to see why you think they are.

What evidence is there that university kills creativity? On what are you basing this claim?

Because university is very academic and often focuses on research for academic purposes which is very boring. This makes people think like an academic rather than a creative individual. Writing essays and analysing stuff isn't important for creative careers (and most jobs for that matter).
(edited 10 months ago)
Get a degree, get a stable job, and just do art or writing on the side.
Original post by TSR2003
Because university is very academic and often focuses on research for academic purposes which is very boring. I think this makes people think like an academic rather than a creative individual. I don't writing essays and analysing stuff is important for creative careers.

I mean, maybe if you force yourself to do a purely academic degree that you have no interest in, like law or something while planning to pursue a creative career. That would be rather silly however, as the obvious degree choices would be creative degrees in the visual and performing arts suited to your career goals/media preferences.

Degrees in animation, illustration, graphic design, acting, theatre, music performance and so on are all very focused on the craft of the art mode in question, and then on industry relevance and preparation. Obviously this various between degrees, but the best of such courses focus on the skills, techniques, softwares etc that are industry standard and training you in those, while fostering links with the industry to support their students and graduates with networking opportunities.

Obviously those these degrees are not generally offered by Oxbridge and such, but equally those industries don't care if you went to Oxbridge or not...
Reply 5
Original post by TSR2003
Because university is very academic and often focuses on research for academic purposes which is very boring. I think this makes people think like an academic rather than a creative individual. I don't writing essays and analysing stuff is important for creative careers.

Organising your thoughts and knowing how and why things are put together are not important for putting together your own thoughts? Are you sure?

It might be a fair criticism in some cases, but then we'd just say those courses are quite poorly designed.

It sounds to me like you don't have much experience of how creative degrees operate (that is not a criticism). Nobody doing creative writing is gonna be doing the same amount of academic work as someone reading law, or reading philosophy. There are lots of options for good pedagogy and good creative development which do not rely on 'traditional' academic activities.
Original post by gjd800
Organising your thoughts and knowing how and why things are put together are not important for putting together your own thoughts? Are you sure?

It might be a fair criticism in some cases, but then we'd just say those courses are quite poorly designed.

It sounds to me like you don't have much experience of how creative degrees operate (that is not a criticism). Nobody doing creative writing is gonna be doing the same amount of academic work as someone reading law, or reading philosophy. There are lots of options for good pedagogy and good creative development which do not rely on 'traditional' academic activities.

Fair enough but if someone is good at creative writing do they need the degree? Wouldn't it be better (and cheaper) to develop their own craft with a job on the side, rather than waste £9, 250 for a piece of paper?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by TSR2003
Fair enough but if someone is good at creative writing do they need the degree? Wouldn't it be better (and cheaper) to develop their own craft with a job on the side, rather than waste £9, 250 for a piece of paper?

A fair question, although I think not as clear cut as that. For creative arts degrees one of the major benefits of them is not just the "piece of paper" but the opportunity to develop your professional networks, both with your peers on the course and with the alumni and other industry connections the department (hopefully) has. This is much more important for creative fields where most jobs are fixed term contracts and freelance work, and so networking is essentially to get yourself set up with a steady flow of incoming projects.
Original post by TSR2003

If your attitude is that you are paying £9k a year for a bit of paper, then university is not for you.

Creative writing is a technical skill that takes time to develop. Being in an environment where your skill is scrutinised helps that. That is how they develop their craft.

Additionally, you can't rely on your writing or your art to pay your bills until you actually make it. Few people do. That degree will help you get into publishing, journalism, copywriting, etc. or other graduate employment if Penguin refuses to publish your adult themed Stardew Valley fanfic story.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by TSR2003

Some people are capable of developing their craft without the support/structure/challenge that a degree would offer. Other people benefit from that experience.
some writers need academic study (so not even creative writing) to give them the tools to write creatively. Tolkien would have produced very different books without his background in studying ancient languages.
Probably not one in English as it mite burn u out
Reply 11
Original post by TSR2003

Make a list of writer you like and see how many have creative writing degrees.
Original post by ajj2000
Make a list of writer you like and see how many have creative writing degrees.

None of them actually. Two have a standard English degree, but most didn't go to university.
Reply 13
Original post by TSR2003
None of them actually. Two have a standard English degree, but most didn't go to university.

There may be a clue there! What sort of writing to you aspire to produce? Which writers do you like?
Original post by ajj2000
There may be a clue there! What sort of writing to you aspire to produce? Which writers do you like?

I wish to produce mystery fiction. I'd say Stephen King is one of my favourite authors.
Reply 15
I suppose creatives can choose the type of degrees that are suited to their interests/creativity (it wouldn't kill their talent, but would probably enhance their knowledge/ experience/ perceptions/ circle of friends/ networking in society).

A degree could also be the back-up plan for their future, in case they couldn't really earn a living by being an artist/creative writer. Not everyone with talent can make it in the creative field. This is reality.
Original post by TSR2003
I've always believed that university kills creativity and if an artist/writer is serious about being published and succeed then thy should focus on developing their craft rather than pursue a degree which will be an expensive investment.

Creative Writing at university, while it is challenging and can be demotivating at times, is honestly such a good experience.

I know I am an ambassador for my university so you might take what I say with a grain of salt but seriously if you want to pursue creative writing I would honestly take a look at some good universities that offer the course as a minor or joint major.

The main reason is because you will be giving your work to other people. This isn't writing for yourself and handing it to a marker every once in a while; you will be constantly writing for groups of people and reading their pieces of work as well. I think as a life skill, even if you believe university kills creativity, being able to share your work and retrieve unbiased feedback is one of the best take-aways from university.

I'm about to graduate next month myself and I'm dropping Creative Writing to focus solely on English Literature for my masters degree because an undergraduate degree is enough for me personally in the creative writing department.

You have lots of options even if university isn't one of them. A degree helps your reputability as a writer as well; think of getting published for the first time and what that does for your career. It will be the same with a degree because it showcases your talents via a piece of paper. You will have been writing professionally for at least three years; a degree is not unemployment!

Thanks,
Dominic, Lancaster University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending