The Student Room Group

Oscillations q

When measuring a period of an oscillation what's the point of a fiducial marker and why do we put it in the centre? I've read that it helps aid timing but how?
It HELPS IN AIDING TIME BECAUSE SEE WHEN THE PENDULUM IS SWINGING YOU DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT HEIGHT HAS BEEN REACHED
USING A FIDUCIAL POINT WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHEN TO START AND STOP THE STOPWATCH PRECISELY
REDUCING THE ERROR DUE TO THE JUDGEMENT OF THE START AND END OF THE SWING
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND OTHERWISE ILL EXPLAIN IN MUCH SIMPLER TERMINOLOGY
(Btw are you a guy or a girl? just asking)
Original post by Presto
When measuring a period of an oscillation what's the point of a fiducial marker and why do we put it in the centre? I've read that it helps aid timing but how?

It's placed in the centre because the bob will always pass through the equilibrium position with maximum speed. If you put it at one extreme end of the oscillation, after some time, the bob will no longer pass through that point due to damping.

It helps you to know when to start and stop the stopwatch.
Reply 3
Ok thank you both! Just 1 more q how does it help us know when to start and stop the stopwatch?
Reply 4
Original post by MARYAM1234567
It HELPS IN AIDING TIME BECAUSE SEE WHEN THE PENDULUM IS SWINGING YOU DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT HEIGHT HAS BEEN REACHED
USING A FIDUCIAL POINT WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHEN TO START AND STOP THE STOPWATCH PRECISELY
REDUCING THE ERROR DUE TO THE JUDGEMENT OF THE START AND END OF THE SWING
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND OTHERWISE ILL EXPLAIN IN MUCH SIMPLER TERMINOLOGY
(Btw are you a guy or a girl? just asking)

Prsom. I'm a bot =P
Reply 5
Original post by Presto
Ok thank you both! Just 1 more q how does it help us know when to start and stop the stopwatch?

U start the timer when pendulum is at fiducial marker and end it after a certain number of oscillations st the fiducial matker
Original post by Presto

Not exactly related, but remember to take the time for 10 swings and then take the average as it decreases the percentage uncertainty.
Reply 7
Original post by Shaanv
U start the timer when pendulum is at fiducial marker and end it after a certain number of oscillations st the fiducial matker

Oh I thought that would be a bit weird bc it's right in the centre and I've seen people do this experiment without a fiducial marker and they always started timer when they released the bob/mass pendulum thingy. It all makes sense now. Thank you all sm!
Original post by Presto
Prsom. I'm a bot =P

LOLL!!

Quick Reply

Latest