The Student Room Group

Cos/tan/sin questions with pi intervals

There are multiple c2 question where you have to use identities ies to solve x with cos/tan/sin equations and i know how to rearrange and get it to only one of them but how does the interval - pi <x< pi affect how i solve for pr x.
I may be telling you the entirely incorrect thing but as your doing c2 i assume you are sitting the new spec of maths. pi is pi RADIANS which is a unit for angles which isnt degrees. 1 pi radian is 180 degrees.
However dont fear as if you are doing edexcel 2017 spec then you dont need to know radians
Reply 2
Original post by Mathsjizzle
There are multiple c2 question where you have to use identities ies to solve x with cos/tan/sin equations and i know how to rearrange and get it to only one of them but how does the interval - pi <x< pi affect how i solve for pr x.

At C2 there isn't many identities thank goodness -just wait to C3 ahahah.

sin^2x + cos^2x =1 is one
Original post by Mathsjizzle

Well, a trig equation will usually have infinitely many solutions, so you need to find those which lie within -pi and pi radians specifically. The general method is to find one solution using your calculator, and then find the others by considering the symmetry of the sin/cos/tan graph.
Reply 4
Original post by steveeem
I may be telling you the entirely incorrect thing but as your doing c2 i assume you are sitting the new spec of maths. pi is pi RADIANS which is a unit for angles which isnt degrees. 1 pi radian is 180 degrees.
However dont fear as if you are doing edexcel 2017 spec then you dont need to know radians

Yeah i am doing 2017 edxcel maths, thank god i thought i forgot to revise something.

Quick Reply

Latest