The Student Room Group

coming to a year in investment banking - ama

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
What degree did you do? Am I right in thinking that you applied during your last year of your degree? I'm just not sure how thats supposed to work or do they schedule the assessment centre and interviews at a suitable time or did you have to miss classes? Did you have to move away from home?

At the moment I am interested in being an actuary but I probably should consider other careers in finance. I am doing a Natural Sciences degree at Durham University studying Mathematics and Physics and I am feeling as though careers in finance tend to suit people more interested in problem solving rather than the actual level of Mathematics involved(although in some cases this can be high at least while training) and I am also really interested in making a difference and solving problems that will really matter in the real world. With Physics and Mathematical Physics which describes what I am currently during in my third year they are very conceptual(based on key ideas) and problem solving based. Would you describe that as similar to the sort of skills you use in investment banking?

By the time that I start applying next year, I will have completed two research internships at my University(I have already done one and will do another this summer). How do you think companies will view this? Would they prefer experience within a finance company? The research mainly involves using programming and numerical methods to solve Physics problems but I have to read up all the underlying theory. I believe that a lot of companies are using computers to help solve a lot of the problems so I hope these experiences will seem attractive to employers. I have heard a lot about companies using spreadsheets on Excel(I have made a spreadsheet of the ranking of several Pro Evolution Soccer teams based on the games I play is this worth mentioning?) but I have also heard that some companies use VBA. Are you familiar with VBA? How hard is it to use if you are?

studied finance, i applied to spring weeks and converted that process.. didn't do other applications after first year. i've lived in london my whole life, i am currently living closer to the office now, away from home.

banking is a bunch of he points, you do.. not much brainpower needed, especially at the analyst stage. mostly just process work, that someone has to do.

perception matters more than the truth, if you can sell whatever experiences you have well enough, you'll be fine.. ofc the more relevant the experience the easier it is to relate

used to be able to use vba, we don't use it or atleast I haven't seen it being used in banking
Any fun story to share?
Anything to do/not to do during internships?
Biggest mistake made so far?
Original post by gr8wizard10
i applied to spring weeks and converted that process

Which spring weeks are best to apply to?
Any tips on getting into spring weeks?
Any tips on getting internships after spring weeks?

Thanks chap
Original post by xtrembob
Any fun story to share?
Anything to do/not to do during internships?
Biggest mistake made so far?

Any fun story to share? - sending confidential info to the wrong address > it weren't funny at the time | but the series of events was pretty funny - details may come another time
Anything to do/not to do during internships? - do show enthusiasm.. don't bug ppl - there's a fine line you should tread
Biggest mistake made so far? - i don't make them :wink: | can't think of a big big mistake on top of my head, other than perhaps being careless in emails and because i do everything at 5x speed i sometimes don't realise who i'm sending emails too.. so maybe analyst and md are called tom and i'm sending a funny wso article about sht that mds do to the md.. but noone really cares

Original post by DarthRoar
Which spring weeks are best to apply to?
Any tips on getting into spring weeks?
Any tips on getting internships after spring weeks?

Thanks chap

Which spring weeks are best to apply to? - all of them
Any tips on getting into spring weeks? - do well in interviews, hope you're lucky
Any tips on getting internships after spring weeks? - similar to above, show enthusiasm.. speak to hr
whats the general consensus within your analyst class? have people had enough and already planning their next career move?

do you regret choosing the firm you're working for?

did you get to meet the clients you were serving? if so, any notable ones?

were you able to save your money a lot?

what position do you play in football? what team do you support?

given you've studied finance and had prior internships, do you think you were well prepared relative to a historian or something? if so, were you that guy everyone asked for help?

did you prefer working on the strategy side of a deal or the valuation part?

your best moment at the firm so far?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ozilll
whats the general consensus within your analyst class? have people had enough and already planning their next career move?

do you regret choosing the firm you're working for?

did you get to meet the clients you were serving? if so, any notable ones?

were you able to save your money a lot?

what position do you play in football? what team do you support?

given you've studied finance and had prior internships, do you think you were well prepared relative to a historian or something? if so, were you that guy everyone asked for help?

did you prefer working on the strategy side of a deal or the valuation part?

your best moment at the firm so far?

whats the general consensus within your analyst class? have people had enough and already planning their next career move? - still early days for my class, but i suspect most aren't looking forward to long term careers in banking
do you regret choosing the firm you're working for? - no
did you get to meet the clients you were serving? if so, any notable ones? - some, unable to disclose
were you able to save your money a lot? - no, family/rent
what position do you play in football? what team do you support? - variable, not specifically a position. i don't watch football so none
given you've studied finance and had prior internships, do you think you were well prepared relative to a historian or something? if so, were you that guy everyone asked for help? - yes, felt relatively prepared.. everyone asks everyone for help. i ask help from people who have better english in phrasing
did you prefer working on the strategy side of a deal or the valuation part? - valuation is more interesting to me
your best moment at the firm so far? - leaving at 8pm :smile: or one of the holidays it afforded me
What (if any) are the differences between being an IB analyst at different tier 1/2 banks?
Are there any banks that you would avoid/ have heard bad stories about?

Why did you choose your specific division over the others which you got internships for?

Do you know anyone who is considering staying in IB as a career (or at least 10 years or something)?
If so, why do they want to stay so much and not seek exit opps immediately?
Is there a certain type of person that is better suited to a full career in IB?

Have been reading your responses thus far and they've been really insightful. Thanks for doing this :smile:
Original post by TheGuy264
What (if any) are the differences between being an IB analyst at different tier 1/2 banks?
Are there any banks that you would avoid/ have heard bad stories about?

Why did you choose your specific division over the others which you got internships for?

Do you know anyone who is considering staying in IB as a career (or at least 10 years or something)?
If so, why do they want to stay so much and not seek exit opps immediately?
Is there a certain type of person that is better suited to a full career in IB?

Have been reading your responses thus far and they've been really insightful. Thanks for doing this :smile:

What (if any) are the differences between being an IB analyst at different tier 1/2 banks? - prestige & probably relatively more headhunter calls, i imagine
Are there any banks that you would avoid/ have heard bad stories about? - not really.. i've heard of sweatshops like centerview but comp is better. i mean banks will just adjust pay to avoid leakage, so it boils down to what type of balance you like
Why did you choose your specific division over the others which you got internships for? - exit opportunities in ibd are generally more in my train of interest
Do you know anyone who is considering staying in IB as a career (or at least 10 years or something)? - not of any other analysts
If so, why do they want to stay so much and not seek exit opps immediately? - n.a.
Is there a certain type of person that is better suited to a full career in IB? - guess ppl who like the job, like working long hours and serving at the will of their clients.. haha honestly idk, people who can't leave IB or just see it as a comfortable life, relatively risk-free + decent pay
Reply 28
should interns learn modelling prior to the internship?

any must-have/good to have skills as an intern? assuming excel, accounting and valuation are mandatory?

what are your thoughts of FIG? is it as bad a group as people make it out to be?

say an o&g company wants to IPO, how does the work split between ECM and the o&g industry team?

thanks!
What languages do you speak?
Original post by makrxx
should interns learn modelling prior to the internship?

any must-have/good to have skills as an intern? assuming excel, accounting and valuation are mandatory?

what are your thoughts of FIG? is it as bad a group as people make it out to be?

say an o&g company wants to IPO, how does the work split between ECM and the o&g industry team?

thanks!

should interns learn modelling prior to the internship? - would advise learning the basics.. moreso the usage of excel
any must-have/good to have skills as an intern? assuming excel, accounting and valuation are mandatory? - time management, communication
what are your thoughts of FIG? is it as bad a group as people make it out to be? - idk, never worked in FIG.. seems like a complex industry group to be in, very specialized
say an o&g company wants to IPO, how does the work split between ECM and the o&g industry team? - industry materials / valuation etc / equity story.. from the industry team IPO timeline / investor roadshow / execution dealt by ECM
Why do you think there is such a gulf between European investment banks and their American counterparts? and do you think this will persist going forward?
as an analyst, what is more important deal value or number of deals? goldman or rothschild?

is it easy to move laterally within ibd? so from m&a to ecm?

what was the worst shift you put in, in terms of hours? ever witnessed sunrise from your desk?

how far would you recommend to live away from the firm? so for instance, if youre based in CW, would living in canada water/Stratford be too far?

what was your typical day like?

what are your thoughts on consumer retail & healthcare groups?

can you move to PE & other exit opps before finishing your first analyst year? if so, is it bad practice?

i know you can move from ibd to consulting, but does the opposite happen?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tw15st3d
Why do you think there is such a gulf between European investment banks and their American counterparts? and do you think this will persist going forward?

US is the home of original investment banking, so carries a bit more pedigree

Original post by ozilll
as an analyst, what is more important deal value or number of deals? goldman or rothschild?

is it easy to move laterally within ibd? so from m&a to ecm?

what was the worst shift you put in, in terms of hours? ever witnessed sunrise from your desk?

how far would you recommend to live away from the firm? so for instance, if youre based in CW, would living in canada water/Stratford be too far?

what was your typical day like?

what are your thoughts on consumer retail & healthcare groups?

can you move to PE & other exit opps before finishing your first analyst year? if so, is it bad practice?

i know you can move from ibd to consulting, but does the opposite happen?

as an analyst, what is more important deal value or number of deals? goldman or rothschild? - whatever gets you more sleep per day, goldman
is it easy to move laterally within ibd? so from m&a to ecm? - depends on relationships / banks - i'd argue without strong network, within the same bank it will be hard due to potential burnt bridges
what was the worst shift you put in, in terms of hours? ever witnessed sunrise from your desk? - yes, worked 40 hours over the weekend - went home at
7am both days, to be up at 9/10am

how far would you recommend to live away from the firm? so for instance, if youre based in CW, would living in canada water/Stratford be too far? - i live a 5-10min walk away, and would recommend living close
what was your typical day like? - no typical day is the honest answer here
what are your thoughts on consumer retail & healthcare groups? - if you're interested go for it
can you move to PE & other exit opps before finishing your first analyst year? if so, is it bad practice? - yes, and i'd advocate a year or a year and a half before doing so
i know you can move from ibd to consulting, but does the opposite happen? - yes
Reply 34
how do people do it? you mentioned 20 hour work days, 2 days in a row (on weekends, no less). i'm sure after 10+ hours your productivity drops a fair bit. do you rely on that much coffee/energy drinks to keep you going?

is it really busy whole year round with say, a minimum 16 hour work day? or perhaps deal flow drops in the summer and hours get better?

what's your best day like?
Original post by makrxx
how do people do it? you mentioned 20 hour work days, 2 days in a row (on weekends, no less). i'm sure after 10+ hours your productivity drops a fair bit. do you rely on that much coffee/energy drinks to keep you going?

is it really busy whole year round with say, a minimum 16 hour work day? or perhaps deal flow drops in the summer and hours get better?

what's your best day like?

how do people do it? you mentioned 20 hour work days, 2 days in a row (on weekends, no less). i'm sure after 10+ hours your productivity drops a fair bit. do you rely on that much coffee/energy drinks to keep you going? - learn to adapt, there's not much choice in the matter. again most of it is process work, simply following orders.. your productivity dropping makes no difference, just means it will take you longer to do the work.. and energy drinks help
is it really busy whole year round with say, a minimum 16 hour work day? or perhaps deal flow drops in the summer and hours get better? - summer is generally the more quiet period
what's your best day like? - enough work to keep you moderately busy with ability to enjoy your day.. take an hour lunch break, an hour dinner, go for a walk... and no new work dropping on you at anywhere past 6pm
Original post by ma_long
What languages do you speak?

english and my native language from africa
Reply 37
Thanks a lot for doing this. I'll be starting out this summer as an Analyst, so lots of really useful information here!

Do many analysts have girlfriends / boyfriends when they start? And what proportion of these relationships actually last?
Hey mate,

Great meeting you a few months back and hope your doing well. I have a few questions that I hope you could answer?

1) Is there an opportunity to play sports such as Tennis and Badminton during the working week at your bank or is it mainly activities such as football where you play with your colleagues when you can, rather than anything structured by the bank?

2) Whilst I know you work long hours, would you say the day goes quickly? Also are you working at 100% every minute or is it a case of doing a bit of work here or there, with the ability to have long lunch breaks, head to the gym etc until you get assigned work after meetings later in the day?

3) At weekends for the most part do you still get time to have a life outside of banking?

Thanks,
thatapanydude
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by k1m1
Thanks a lot for doing this. I'll be starting out this summer as an Analyst, so lots of really useful information here!

Do many analysts have girlfriends / boyfriends when they start? And what proportion of these relationships actually last?

i'd say a sizeable population do.. i mean it's like with any demographic of relationship, depends how much work they're willing to both put in. i don't really delve into people's personal lives so couldn't tell you.. but if both parties are willing to make it work then should be fine.

Original post by thatapanydude
Hey mate,

Great meeting you a few months back and hope your doing well. I have a few questions that I hope you could answer?

1) Is there an opportunity to play sports such as Tennis and Badminton during the working week at your bank or is it mainly activities such as football where you play with your colleagues when you can, rather than anything structured by the bank?

2) Whilst I know you work long hours, would you say the day goes quickly? Also are you working at 100% every minute or is it a case of doing a bit of work here or there, with the ability to have long lunch breaks, head to the gym etc until you get assigned work after meetings later in the day?

3) At weekends for the most part do you still get time to have a life outside of banking?

Thanks,
thatapanydude

Great meeting you a few months back and hope your doing well. I have a few questions that I hope you could answer?- ofc, likewise!
1) Is there an opportunity to play sports such as Tennis and Badminton during the working week at your bank or is it mainly activities such as football where you play with your colleagues when you can, rather than anything structured by the bank?- if you have a club or whatever you can go to locally, then by all means it's doable
2) Whilst I know you work long hours, would you say the day goes quickly? Also are you working at 100% every minute or is it a case of doing a bit of work here or there, with the ability to have long lunch breaks, head to the gym etc until you get assigned work after meetings later in the day? - when you're busy it can feel as though it goes quickly - and in banking it's very variable.. there can be days you're not doing much and there are days where you are working 3 days worth of work in one - so it's very hard on predictability
3) At weekends for the most part do you still get time to have a life outside of banking?- depends on work outstanding, you just have to be always on standby with your blackberry and check work emails in case something pops off that you don't want to miss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending