The Student Room Group

Physics Help !!!!!!!

I just cant get , how is the component vertical Lcos θ = mg
And horizontal component Lsin θ = mv2/r

Physics 22.png
(edited 5 years ago)
P.s Wanna Find radius of the airplane's track !
The vertical component of the lift must equal the weight (which always acts downwards). It really helps to draw a simplified diagram.

The angle theta must be equal to the angle between L and the vertical because when the lift is acting at 90 degrees to the horizontal, the wing is flat (ie, theta is 0). When the plane rolls rolls to one side, the angle between the horizontal and wings increases from 0. Therefore, the angle between L and the vertical must also increase and this angle is equal to theta.

You should now be able to construct a right angled triangle with theta and L.
Reply 3
Angle θ is the angle between L and the vertical so you can draw a right angle triangle and then you will see the components easily.
Also, because it's moving in circular motion, then we can say the force providing the centripetal acceleration is equivalent to mv2r \frac{mv^{2}}{r}

Hence:

LSinθ=mv2r LSin\theta = \frac{mv^{2}}{r}
Reply 5
Original post by BTAnonymous
Also, because it's moving in circular motion, then we can say the force providing the centripetal acceleration is equivalent to mv2r \frac{mv^{2}}{r}

Hence:

LSinθ=mv2r LSin\theta = \frac{mv^{2}}{r}

I got Lsinθ=mg Lsin\theta = mg

My right angled triangle looks like this:
Original post by FP5

What are you using to draw that? I would like to use that
Original post by FP5

By the way, you have the assigned the wrong angle to your right angled triangle which is why you're getting the horizontal component = mg.

You can tell this cannot be the case because there is no horizontal component of mg; weight always acts downwards so it is impossible for the horizontal component to equal a vertical component. You could be getting confused with inclined planes where the force parallel to the slop is equal to mgsinθ mgsin\theta
Reply 8
By the way, you have the assigned the wrong angle to your right angled triangle which is why you're getting the horizontal component = mg.

You can tell this cannot be the case because there is no horizontal component of mg; weight always acts downwards so it is impossible for the horizontal component to equal a vertical component. You could be getting confused with inclined planes where the force parallel to the slop is equal to mgsinθ mgsin\theta

I was using Paint :P

So you do it by seeing what works rather than drawing a diagram? I can't think of a reason for the angle in my triangle to be anywhere else :/
Original post by FP5

So you do it by seeing what works rather than drawing a diagram? I can't think of a reason for the angle in my triangle to be anywhere else :/

I am creating a diagram now to help :smile:
Original post by FP5

So you need to use both your intuition and the aid of a diagram. Here's why your angle is wrong:

The diagram on the right shows us when the plane is travelling parallel to the ground, so theta is equal to 0. Notice how the question states that the lift force always acts perpendicular to the wing. This is key because it tells us what even when the plane tilts over, this angle between the wing and lift force remains the same, at 90 degrees.

So now imagine the plane slowly rolling to one side (mine shows it rolling over to the left). You will find the the angle between the wing and horizontal increases (the angle theta). But you will also find the the angle between the vertical and L must also increase because remember, the angle between L and the wing must remain at 90 degrees, hence the angle between the vertical and L will increase the same as theta. You can see this with my diagram. Just think about it, imagine the wings rolling over and imagine the force L always remaining perpendicular to the wing.
Reply 11
So you need to use both your intuition and the aid of a diagram. Here's why your angle is wrong:

The diagram on the right shows us when the plane is travelling parallel to the ground, so theta is equal to 0. Notice how the question states that the lift force always acts perpendicular to the wing. This is key because it tells us what even when the plane tilts over, this angle between the wing and lift force remains the same, at 90 degrees.

So now imagine the plane slowly rolling to one side (mine shows it rolling over to the left). You will find the the angle between the wing and horizontal increases (the angle theta). But you will also find the the angle between the vertical and L must also increase because remember, the angle between L and the wing must remain at 90 degrees, hence the angle between the vertical and L will increase the same as theta. You can see this with my diagram. Just think about it, imagine the wings rolling over and imagine the force L always remaining perpendicular to the wing.

Thanks so much! That was so useful! I assume if you made a triangle using that free body diagram you would correctly resolve the forces.

Much appreciated!
Original post by FP5
Thanks so much! That was so useful! I assume if you made a triangle using that free body diagram you would correctly resolve the forces.

Much appreciated!

Yup. So I've drawn the components as red dotted lines:

so now you use use your usual trigonometry skills to resolve horizontally and vertically and since the horizontal component is equal to LSinθ LSin\theta and the plane is in circular motion, this horizontal component must equal mv2r \frac{mv^{2}}{r}

That was soo helpful Sir , Thanks alot :smile: May god bless you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest