The Student Room Group

Sadiq Kan springs into action over London deaths!

Mr Khan said: 'I don't accept that deaths and serious injuries on London's roads are something we just have to put up with. Every single death or serious injury results in heartache and tragedy for those affected, and their loved ones.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5986927/Plans-cut-central-London-speed-limit-20mph-mocked-motorists.html
Drivers have always been a pet hate of left-wingers, possibly because they struggle with passing the test and the ones who do keep being told to get off the road by horrible white blokes in vans with the England flag. Well done to the Police, that will give them something to do.
Reply 1
Original post by zhog

Drivers have always been a pet hate of left-wingers, possibly because they struggle with passing the test and the ones who do keep being told to get off the road by horrible white blokes in vans with the England flag. Well done to the Police, that will give them something to do.

This is literally one of the most moronic things I have ever read. I fear what sort of inadequacies you must be hiding if you're popping out statements like this.
Reply 2
Original post by zhog
My inadequacies are nothing compared with yours, for starters I'm not mentally ill about people like Trump the way you are.

It appears i've touched a nerve :lol: Ahh arent you a lovely individual :rolleyes:

What is really inadequate is for the zombie army to go on about things like the situation on the US border only to disappear into the shadows when someone raises the pisspoor tone of their ramblings into a proper conversation, i find it vomit inducing because people like you or the Hollywood set actually don't give a toss about any children.

umm what are you ranting about Hollywood and children for? Oh sweet irony that you mention ramblings whilst zigzagging all over the place like a drunk driver...

That is what makes people like you and the rest the lowest of the lowest, I suppose everything I write reflects the contempt you and the rest of the riff-raff deserve. Bark as much as you like, see if I care...

Uhuh, so you accuse me of being part of the so called elite, on a par with Hollywood, and then finish by calling me part of the lower classes? Yeah makes total sense :wink:
I’d be surprised if you can even get up to 20mph while driving around London.
Reply 4
khan still has his head up his behind; how does reducing the speed limit help with knife crime or moped attacks?
Reply 5
They introduced a 20mph everywhere policy in Brighton a few years ago. Now the only roads you can do 30 on are the three main trunk roads, and roads that were originally 40mph limit (now mostly reduced to 30mph).

I can't say I'm a fan of the policy, but it does get results. The thing is, most drivers are total blithering idiots. A 20mph policy is also stupid, but it's less stupid than most drivers are. And with more and more distractions (texting, phoning, etc.) behind the wheel, slowing idiotic drivers down is really the only way we have of improving road safety. At least until self-driving cars come along.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Volibear
You can do about triple that if you're a taxi driver who loves their job! Trust me, it's terrifying as a passenger...

Ahah, try taxis in Rome my friend...
Reply 7
Original post by Andrew97

Try a tuk tuk in Udaipur. Those things are death traps and their drivers thoroughly off their rockers.
There is no basis for this, no figures or any credible data to back up the case with and it all looks like easy work for the Mayor and the Police to create for their own entertainment while London burns. Together with it, they make themselves sound like the saviours of the world, for good measure. It's all for show at our expense.

It is totally unreal to expect people to stick to 20 in large tracts of road, has anyone ever driven through Islington (first London borough to think it up, MP: JC, Lab)? Not only one is overtaken by buses and cyclists alike, you have to drive in third gear and burn up more fuel and cause more emissions. It feels as close as it gets to Orwell's world to drive at 20 in roads where you don't see a living soul, the Police are announcing their eagerness to chase criminals about this.

It's nuts, the whole world is going nuts. Coppers and politicians will be the first to tell their chauffeurs to put the foot down and get on with it as they hit 20. Taxi passengers shouting at the driver to hurry up, all sorts of things. The impact on the ground.

Typical leftie stuff, the inability to deal with any real problems coupled with the urge to regulate the world to the point of turning humans into machines. There has to be a reason why 'policies' like these never emanate from 'the right'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Andrew97

Try being a pedestrian crossing a road in Rome.
Reply 10
Original post by zhog
There is no basis for this, no figures or any credible data to back up the case with and it all looks like easy work for the Mayor and the Police to create for their own entertainment while London burns. Together with it, they make themselves sound like the saviours of the world, for good measure. It's all for show at our expense.

It's been done in several other cities in the UK. It's been proven to work.

Original post by zhog
It feels as close as it gets to Orwell's world to drive at 20 in roads where you don't see a living soul, the Police are announcing their eagerness to chase criminals about this.

Don't be so ridiculous, it's a speed limit, not the Ministry of Truth. Gatsos can't enforce a 20 limit anyway.
Original post by Dez
It's been done in several other cities in the UK. It's been proven to work.

You don't know what you're talking about:

Town hall bosses plan to halt their flagship 20mph limit roll-out - after finding it has made almost no difference to speeds or accidents.
Manchester council announced plans to introduce the new limit on all minor residential roads in order to cut accidents in 2012 - at a cost of £1.7m.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/20mph-speed-limit-manchester-stopped-12706663

You said earlier you're no fan of the idea but are now firmly defending it, is this just for the sake of opposing at any cost?
Reply 12

Other cities have reported successes with the scheme. That said, Manchester is probably one of the closest equivalents the UK has to London, so the data there may be more pertinent in this case.

Original post by zhog
You said earlier you're no fan of the idea but are now firmly defending it, is this just for the sake of opposing at any cost?

The fact that I dislike the idea doesn't mean I can just ignore all the facts around it, that would be plain stupid.

Don't get me wrong, it's really bloody irritating having to drive everywhere at a snail's pace, but if it works, it works. I'm not gonna complain about my commute being 2 minutes longer if it's working to prevent injury, deaths and unnecessary congestion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending