The Student Room Group

helpp

12. The line y= 3x + 4 and y = 2x + 6 intersect at the point M. Line N goes through the point M and is parallel to the line y = ½x + 6. Find the equation of line N.

How do you find out M
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedchildren

12. The line y= 3x + 4 and y = 2x + 6 intersect at the point M. Line N goes through the point M and is parallel to the line y = ½x + 6. Find the equation of line N.

How do you find out M

You find M by making the y coordinates equation to each other for both equations, since it's the point of intersection.
Original post by RDKGames
You find M by making the y coordinates equation to each other for both equations, since it's the point of intersection.

Also 2 parallel lines have the same gradient so use that
Original post by RDKGames

i did 3x+4= 2x+6 so then i got x=10 so what do i do with that?
Original post by steveeem
Also 2 parallel lines have the same gradient so use that

oh yeah thanks :biggrin:
i did 3x+4= 2x+6 so then i got x=10 so what do i do with that?

substitute that x value into either of the equations to get the y co ordinate
substitute that x value into either of the equations to get the y co ordinate

and then work out M by substituting the x and y into the y = 1/2 x + c equation?
and then work out M by substituting the x and y into the y = 1/2 x + c equation?

yeah
yeah

okay thanks :smile: also do you know how to work out
A is (1, 7) and B is (3, 1). Find the equation of the straight line which passes through the midpoint of AB and which is perpendicular to 5y + x = 7. Give your answer in the form y = mx + c.
okay thanks :smile: also do you know how to work out
A is (1, 7) and B is (3, 1). Find the equation of the straight line which passes through the midpoint of AB and which is perpendicular to 5y + x = 7. Give your answer in the form y = mx + c.

find the coordinates of the midpoint.
Rearrange 5y +x=7 to y =mx+c form, find m. It is perpendicular so use the -1/m ting and then substitute them both into the y = mx+c

And can i just ask what year your in im assuming year 12?
find the coordinates of the midpoint.
Rearrange 5y +x=7 to y =mx+c form, find m. It is perpendicular so use the -1/m ting and then substitute them both into the y = mx+c

And can i just ask what year your in im assuming year 12?

nope im year 11 XD wbu
nope im year 11 XD wbu

ah ok that makes a lil bit more sense on why you didnt know some of the stuff. im in year 13

and are those regular maths gcse questions cos i didnt even know we had to know the parallel and perpendicular line things. Then aagain i got like 60% in the exam
ah ok that makes a lil bit more sense on why you didnt know some of the stuff. im in year 13

and are those regular maths gcse questions cos i didnt even know we had to know the parallel and perpendicular line things. Then aagain i got like 60% in the exam
Yeah i struggle so much with maths and its homework our teacher gives us too much like we cant even do our own revision. Also 60% is actually good ngl And cool what did u take for A level?
Yeah i struggle so much with maths and its homework our teacher gives us too much like we cant even do our own revision. Also 60% is actually good ngl And cool what did u take for A level?

Maths physics and computer science. For me for some reason school got soooooo much easier with A levels than gcses
(with the 60% i just mean i only knew like 60% of the stiff and that probably wasnt the lines~)
Maths physics and computer science. For me for some reason school got soooooo much easier with A levels than gcses
(with the 60% i just mean i only knew like 60% of the stiff and that probably wasnt the lines~)

Yeye its probably because you get to drop half of the subjects from year 11 I wanna do medicine so i kinda need to take chemistry but im awful at it so idk what im going to do
Yeye its probably because you get to drop half of the subjects from year 11 I wanna do medicine so i kinda need to take chemistry but im awful at it so idk what im going to do

ooof. yeah i know someone who wants to do medicine but didnt take chemistry so cant. Literally everyone i know says chemistry is their hardest subject. Just make that a priority and im sure you will be alright.
If you ever need help with any maths problems just tag me in the post and ill probably reply pretty quick if its after school time (I have no idea how to tag people but there is a way)
ooof. yeah i know someone who wants to do medicine but didnt take chemistry so cant. Literally everyone i know says chemistry is their hardest subject. Just make that a priority and im sure you will be alright.
If you ever need help with any maths problems just tag me in the post and ill probably reply pretty quick if its after school time (I have no idea how to tag people but there is a way)

Yeye lets hope so i might take all 3 sciences tbh or 2 sciences and english lit idk. I literally joined like 2 days ago idek how you tage ill just PM you :biggrin: So have you thought ab uni?
Yeye lets hope so i might take all 3 sciences tbh or 2 sciences and english lit idk. I literally joined like 2 days ago idek how you tage ill just PM you :biggrin: So have you thought ab uni?

for medicine 3 sciences would be better but alot harder

Yeah unis are pretty much all i have thought about, i wanna do physics but alot of the good unis are up north :frown:

but im applying to Durham, manchester, warwick, and bristol as insurance (cos i get contextual offer :smile: ) and i have no idea what to pick for the 5th. Durham is my top choice in terms of how good it is but i feel like there will be tons of posh people and no nightlife so im just so confused about what to do. tbh i have no reason to stress about cos ive not even got an offer yet and dont know if i will but stillllllllllllllll
for medicine 3 sciences would be better but alot harder

Yeah unis are pretty much all i have thought about, i wanna do physics but alot of the good unis are up north :frown:

but im applying to Durham, manchester, warwick, and bristol as insurance (cos i get contextual offer :smile: ) and i have no idea what to pick for the 5th. Durham is my top choice in terms of how good it is but i feel like there will be tons of posh people and no nightlife so im just so confused about what to do. tbh i have no reason to stress about cos ive not even got an offer yet and dont know if i will but stillllllllllllllll
Oh yeah a dead uni would be awful ngl whereabouts are you if you dont mind me asking?
Oh yeah a dead uni would be awful ngl whereabouts are you if you dont mind me asking?

london so having nothing to do would be a big sad change of pace

Quick Reply

Latest