The Student Room Group

Chemistry moles calculation. Pleaseee help me out

How many moles of Hydrogen are there in 264g of Ammonium Sulfate (NH4)2SO4 ( which has a Mr of 132 )? Everyone in my class says it’s 8.08 but I somehow got 2 moles 🤔🤔
Your class are right, well it should be 8 exactly.

You calculated the moles of ammonium sulfate (264/132) = 2 moles.

Now you look at the compound, there are 8 hydrogen atoms, but hydrogen is diatomic, therefore there are 4 moles of hydrogen for every mole of ammonium sulfate. You would then double it since you have 2 moles of ammonium sulfate to get 8 moles of hydrogen.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Guarddyyy

Now you look at the compound, there are 8 hydrogen atoms, but hydrogen is diatomic molecules, therefore there are 4 moles of hydrogen for every mole of ammonium sulfate. You would then double it since you have 2 moles of ammonium sulfate to get 8 moles of hydrogen.

ah okay thanks
Original post by Guarddyyy

Now you look at the compound, there are 8 hydrogen atoms, but hydrogen is diatomic, therefore there are 4 moles of hydrogen for every mole of ammonium sulfate. You would then double it since you have 2 moles of ammonium sulfate to get 8 moles of hydrogen.

The thing is though, the question wasnt asking for hydrogen molecules, it was asking for hydrogen atoms. Therefore, shouldnt the answer be 16?
Original post by Anna191817
The thing is though, the question wasnt asking for hydrogen molecules, it was asking for hydrogen atoms. Therefore, shouldnt the answer be 16?

If it's asking for hydrogen atoms, then it's 16 moles, otherwise, it's 8 moles of hydrogen molecules.

Quick Reply

Latest