The Student Room Group

A level chemistry

Hi, I’d like some advice on how to revise for alevel chemistry. I’ve been revising non stop but my grades aren’t showing how much work I’ve been putting in and I’m getting worried because I need an A for my university, and I’m absolutely no where near that. I’m finding it very hard, even with a tutor I just can’t grasp it.
Reply 1
Original post by Elizabeth200
Hi, I’d like some advice on how to revise for alevel chemistry. I’ve been revising non stop but my grades aren’t showing how much work I’ve been putting in and I’m getting worried because I need an A for my university, and I’m absolutely no where near that. I’m finding it very hard, even with a tutor I just can’t grasp it.

Are there any areas in particular you struggle with? Specific topics, concepts, question types?
https://www.chemguide.co.uk is good for explaining most concepts.
What are your current revision methods?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh

Are there any areas in particular you struggle with? Specific topics, concepts, question types?
https://www.chemguide.co.uk is good for explaining most concepts.
What are your current revision methods?

The equations are what I struggle with the most, but I struggle with everything really. I can’t work out when to use which equation and I’m not very good with numbers in general. I’ve been writing out notes and listening to voice recordings of myself reading them out. Also used a few flashcards and watched some YouTube videos. This worked for me at GCSE and has been working for my biology so far, I don’t understand why it’s not for chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by Elizabeth200
The equations are what I struggle with the most, but I struggle with everything really. I can’t work out when to use which equation and I’m not very good with numbers in general. I’ve been writing out notes and listening to voice recordings of myself reading them out. Also used a few flashcards and watched some YouTube videos. This worked for me at GCSE and has been working for my biology so far, I don’t understand why it’s not for chemistry.

Do you do any past paper questions, including any issued in class? I find it's quite a helpful way to practise things that I've learnt. Use your notes, take your time, and try to understand what you're doing and why.
With the majority of chemistry calculation questions you can make a start by using moles = mass ÷ mr, or moles = concentration x volume. The question will tell you what it's looking for, it'll give you some information, so just calculate what you can until it looks like you're getting somewhere.

Do you have any specific examples (e.g. a question) of things you struggle with?

Quick Reply

Latest