The Student Room Group

Law Career Planning Help!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone with experience could help.

I'm starting my distance learning GDL in January. I'm living at home and working since graduating and have been told by parents that distance learning is better than going back into full time study. So here I am! I'm confident that I'll handle the academic side of the GDL but work experience is starting to give me a headache.

I'm predominately looking at applying for TC's at national and larger regional firms (not city/MC, not high street either) in the next year or two. I've just graduated with a 2:1 (Non-Law) from Bristol University and BBB at A-Level.

I've got non-legal work experience from my job as a cashier in a bank and are struggling to get time off just to attend law fairs and presentation evenings. I can probably wing a maximum of two weeks in the summer for a Vac Scheme and I'm already burning through sick-time to get to open days/presentation evenings.

I've been advised that becoming a paralegal isn't a good idea when firms already offer work experience in the form of vac schemes etc. The last thing I want to do is get a GDL then take a salary cut when I move into a paralegal position, all without any guarantee of a TC.

So does anyone here have any experience of how they managed full time work and law work experience? Is legal-work experience really as important if you've gradated and already work full time? Any and all insights would be appreciated.

TL,DR: 2:1 Non-law Bristol Grad starting distance learning GDL wants advice on how to manage full time work with legal-work experience.
That's insightfull, thanks.

Hopefully once I've built up some goodwill with my current employer I could try doing the same.

I suppose it depends on how many vac schemes you have linned up, if it's one or two then taking holiday seems to be the best idea. Overall, I think just pressing on and taking these challenges one at a time is the best course of action.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending