The Student Room Group

law experience as non-law undergrad

Hi,

I'm currently taking comparative literature & French, but my ultimate goal is to end up in law somehow. Right now, I'm considering either legal journalism or the more traditional solicitor/barrister route (I'm still unsure on that front - I have social anxiety so I'm working on my confidence and public speaking). I'm trying to get into things like my university paper, taking on representative roles etc and I'm going to be joining leadership societies and the main law society (that non-law students can join) to try and attend networking events - something that I mistakenly didn't do in first year. I'm also trying to get my own society up and running. I have a year abroad to plan for my third year, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do then that will accept me despite not being a law student. Is there any relevant experience (law-related or not) that would increase my chances of getting into a law career in the future? My interests mainly lie with sustainability and human rights law, looking at company supply chains and their transparencies. I have interests in more financial areas of law too, but I don't take a STEM subject, nor did I take any at A level so I understand that that might be a little farfetched.

I'm aware of having to undertake a conversion course after I graduate in 2026, but what can I do in the meantime to ensure that I have a chance at getting to do what I want without having an actual law degree under my belt?

*my year abroad must be in a Francophone country and I'd like to do some sort of internship if possible. I was thinking something to do with the UN or EU but again, I'm not sure if I'm pushing the boat out too much given the fact that I'm doing a Mickey Mouse degree.
Original post by flâneuse
Hi,

I'm currently taking comparative literature & French, but my ultimate goal is to end up in law somehow. Right now, I'm considering either legal journalism or the more traditional solicitor/barrister route (I'm still unsure on that front - I have social anxiety so I'm working on my confidence and public speaking). I'm trying to get into things like my university paper, taking on representative roles etc and I'm going to be joining leadership societies and the main law society (that non-law students can join) to try and attend networking events - something that I mistakenly didn't do in first year. I'm also trying to get my own society up and running. I have a year abroad to plan for my third year, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do then that will accept me despite not being a law student. Is there any relevant experience (law-related or not) that would increase my chances of getting into a law career in the future? My interests mainly lie with sustainability and human rights law, looking at company supply chains and their transparencies. I have interests in more financial areas of law too, but I don't take a STEM subject, nor did I take any at A level so I understand that that might be a little farfetched.

I'm aware of having to undertake a conversion course after I graduate in 2026, but what can I do in the meantime to ensure that I have a chance at getting to do what I want without having an actual law degree under my belt?

*my year abroad must be in a Francophone country and I'd like to do some sort of internship if possible. I was thinking something to do with the UN or EU but again, I'm not sure if I'm pushing the boat out too much given the fact that I'm doing a Mickey Mouse degree.

Hi!

Having just completed a law conversion course myself, I would say that the best way to get a grasp of what studying law is actually like is to get as much work experience as possible. It's so easy to email firms or chambers to ask for work experience and many offer schemes for individuals who aren't doing a law degree. Of course, these opportunities are often very competitive but they are worth applying to! I would also recommend visiting a local crown or magistrates' court which are open to the public. By doing so, you can see a real trial taking place and understand whether you think the advocacy side of certain aspects of law is really for you or whether a less advocate heavy career (more solicitor than barrister) would be better. There are also great opportunities with most councils to become involved with certain legal opportunities such as Young Offender rehabilitation or different charities which have a legal spin. Doing any of these sorts of things will really boost your CV and will also help you make the crucial decision of what you want to do after graduating!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending