The Student Room Group

What is better LLM SQE or SQE Preparation Courses - or Training contract?

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the LLM SQE, SQE Preparation courses and Training contracts (TC). Hopefully, I can keep them short and sweet.

- Any SQE provider recommendations? Key factors for me are the provider's connections with top firms, high pass rates, quality teaching, structure and resources.

- Is the LLM SQE worth it? Is it more intense due to the extra examination/course at the end? ( how have Ulaw and BPP students found it?)

- Am I better off doing the SQE 1 prep and exam, then trying to apply for a TC, or am I better off waiting as a whole, trying to get experience to get a TC first?

- I've noticed BPP has an SQE1&2 Diploma just for SQE prep, or am I better off dividing it into one Prep course at a time (applying for a TC in between so they can fund the SQE 2 if that is an option)?

- I've noticed as an LLM SQE, you have a career guarantee, 4-week work experience, etc, from providers such as BPP and Ulaw. Is this worth it or should I self-fund the prep courses which may not offer this guarantee/protection?

Thank you
My own view is go straight on from your LLB to something like the BPP SQE1 and 2 preparation course (with masters if you need a post grad student loan to cover fees); whilst also applying as much as you can for vac schemes and TCs now, this summer and during your course. The masters bit of the SQE courses is not a normal masters - it is just one to get you student loan funding. If you don't need the funding there is no advantage or point to doing the masters.
Original post by 17Student17
My own view is go straight on from your LLB to something like the BPP SQE1 and 2 preparation course (with masters if you need a post grad student loan to cover fees); whilst also applying as much as you can for vac schemes and TCs now, this summer and during your course. The masters bit of the SQE courses is not a normal masters - it is just one to get you student loan funding. If you don't need the funding there is no advantage or point to doing the masters.

Thank you for your reply! I have been extremely conflicted by all these questions and your reply has brought great clarity. As funding may be a concern, the LLM SQE may be the most viable option for me. I would have loved a TC or entry-level legal job by now, however, I have been unsuccessful with this and in the meantime, I could go through with the SQE and still apply in conjunction. I could benefit from doing the SQE instead of waiting around unemployed.

If I may ask, have you been to BPP? if so how has your experience been, I am torn between Ulaw and BPP.

Original post by stressedstewdent
Thank you for your reply! I have been extremely conflicted by all these questions and your reply has brought great clarity. As funding may be a concern, the LLM SQE may be the most viable option for me. I would have loved a TC or entry-level legal job by now, however, I have been unsuccessful with this and in the meantime, I could go through with the SQE and still apply in conjunction. I could benefit from doing the SQE instead of waiting around unemployed.

If I may ask, have you been to BPP? if so how has your experience been, I am torn between Ulaw and BPP.

BPP isn't great on an administrative level, but the teaching is generally pretty good. They tend to have current/former practitioners as teachers which is valuable. I don't think there is anything between ULaw and BPP - my advice is apply for all the available scholarships then go with whoever is cheaper.
Original post by xoxogossipgirluk
BPP isn't great on an administrative level, but the teaching is generally pretty good. They tend to have current/former practitioners as teachers which is valuable. I don't think there is anything between ULaw and BPP - my advice is apply for all the available scholarships then go with whoever is cheaper.

Thank you so much!
Reply 5
Adding to this, both BPP and Ulaw seem to have issues with administration and student support. But the teaching is good from both. Though BPP mocks have a reputation for being too easy. And Ulaw mocks are good.
Original post by stressedstewdent

I am a solicitor with 4 solicitor children (2 of whom qualified in January) and we had relatives currently doing the law conversion with SQE1 masters currently - so not completely your position as they didn't do an LLB first so are using the masters loan for PGDL/SQE LLM combined and then in early 2025 go on to do the SQE2 course separately having hopefully got a TC by then and if not just doing the SQE2 anyway. You are in an better position as you did an LLB first so only need the post grad loan for the SQE2 and 2 course. I think the £12k masters loan covers most of the course fees for SQE (but not the exam fees and not your rent). If you started Sept 2024 you would do SQE1 in Jan 2025 and SQE2 exams in about summer, July? 2025. The SQE fees are quite expensive but you could probably get a commercial loan if you really had to to pay them although you might have a TC by then to fund them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending