The Student Room Group

For realistic prospects at the civil Bar, should I do a second BA degree/LLB?

I am currently pursuing a different career path (teaching), for reasons that I'll elaborate below.

I never considered the Bar during my undergraduate degree (at Cambridge, non-law), or my Masters Russel Group). I graduated from Cambridge almost ten years ago now. I don't want to do the GDL, as it won't matter much even if I do get a Distinction.

My issue is that my undergraduate degree (the most important one for the Bar) was only a mid 2:1 (66). No matter what subsequent professional experiences or qualifications you have, not having a First at undergraduate level is pretty much insurmountable for London civil/commercial/chancery Chambers.

Given grade inflation (around a third, maybe more, of Oxbridge humanities/arts students graduate with Firsts) in the past 20 years, having a 2:1 (and not even a nearly-missed-first) is really a huge hurdle to overcome for civil/commercial sets (in London at least, where I'd want to practice).

I didn't focus during much of my undergraduate degree due to personal, medical issues (which I didn't formally raise with my college). At the time, I just went along, tried to cope as best as I could, and saw my GP, as well as the college nurse and counselling/therapy team.

I know I can achieve First class grades when I actually do the work (I did so in my first year - which doesn't count towards degree class at Cam - and at Postgraduate).

In order to be a realistic contender for the civil Bar, should I save up some money when I start earning as a newly qualified teacher (which isn't a great salary, I know....), and then do a senior status LLB in a Russell Group university, and ensure I get a solid First, since I won't be able to get into the Cambridge Law degree or Oxford Jurisprudence course with a 2:1 non-law undergraduate (at least, I think it's extremely unlikely).

Thoughts? Thank you all in advance.
Original post by pseudo96
I am currently pursuing a different career path (teaching), for reasons that I'll elaborate below.

I never considered the Bar during my undergraduate degree (at Cambridge, non-law), or my Masters Russel Group). I graduated from Cambridge almost ten years ago now. I don't want to do the GDL, as it won't matter much even if I do get a Distinction.

My issue is that my undergraduate degree (the most important one for the Bar) was only a mid 2:1 (66). No matter what subsequent professional experiences or qualifications you have, not having a First at undergraduate level is pretty much insurmountable for London civil/commercial/chancery Chambers.

Given grade inflation (around a third, maybe more, of Oxbridge humanities/arts students graduate with Firsts) in the past 20 years, having a 2:1 (and not even a nearly-missed-first) is really a huge hurdle to overcome for civil/commercial sets (in London at least, where I'd want to practice).

I didn't focus during much of my undergraduate degree due to personal, medical issues (which I didn't formally raise with my college). At the time, I just went along, tried to cope as best as I could, and saw my GP, as well as the college nurse and counselling/therapy team.

I know I can achieve First class grades when I actually do the work (I did so in my first year - which doesn't count towards degree class at Cam - and at Postgraduate).

In order to be a realistic contender for the civil Bar, should I save up some money when I start earning as a newly qualified teacher (which isn't a great salary, I know....), and then do a senior status LLB in a Russell Group university, and ensure I get a solid First, since I won't be able to get into the Cambridge Law degree or Oxford Jurisprudence course with a 2:1 non-law undergraduate (at least, I think it's extremely unlikely).

Hi @pseudo96!

Firstly, having done several mini pupillages and spoken to different Barristers and Chambers, there is nothing wrong with having a 2:1 at undergraduate level. In fact, from my own understanding, it appears that Chambers are far more interested in the pro-bono, legal experience, moot wins and scholarships that you have than your non-law undergraduate degree grade, particularly, as you appear to already have a Masters level degree. I understand that you have expressed that you do not want to do the PGDL, however, I have been informed by various people on Pupillage Recruitment in Chambers that your grade at PGDL (e.g. Distinction) is deemed to be credible. Furthermore, you have to consider the fact that you would also study the BPC afterwards which is where they appear to place the most importance in regards to which grades you have achieved. If you feel that you do not want to do the PGDL, then you could always consider doing the MA Law (conversion) and obtaining a second Masters degree.

Of course, if you would prefer to do the senior status LLB then that is a perfectly good route, however, it will of course add a lot of time onto the process of becoming a practicing a Barrister and will be far more expensive. I would recommend having a look at the Pupils that have been recruited in the Chambers you are interested in joining. If they don't all have first class degrees at undergrad then I would consider looking at a different conversion route simply to save you time and money! Of course, if they do all have first class undergrad degrees then perhaps it would be better to do the LLB if you are certain you wish to practice in these Chambers :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 2

I think it would be a waste of your time and money to do yet another university degree. You have a first degree from Cambridge and a credible explanation of why you did not deliver to your full potential. Even if you did gain a First second time around I doubt if that would make much difference come application sift time.

I also believe that you should seriously consider doing the GDL.

First, it is a one-year course so will save you both time and money. Secondly, it is a demanding course in terms of the volume of material you have to master. You have little more than a morning or afternoon session on one topic before moving on to another, never to return to the subject in class again. You have to be disciplined from day one otherwise it is very easy to fall by the wayside.

This is helpful preparation for the Bar Course which you would not experience on a degree course. It's also worth bearing in mind that the majority of what you learn in a Law Degree is irrelevant in practice.

You can't go back and change the past. Just do the GDL and build off the back of who you are now. You don't need to go back and do an undergrad degree to try and erase 10 years back, it doesn't work like that.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You can't go back and change the past. Just do the GDL and build off the back of who you are now. You don't need to go back and do an undergrad degree to try and erase 10 years back, it doesn't work like that.

Are you a barrister/do you have experience in the legal sector?

I wouldn't be erasing the past ten years, as that's impossible, but I would just be attaining the grade that's necessary for most of the commercial Chambers in London. Without that undergraduate first, I'm not a serious contender.
Are you a barrister/do you have experience in the legal sector?

I wouldn't be erasing the past ten years, as that's impossible, but I would just be attaining the grade that's necessary for most of the commercial Chambers in London. Without that undergraduate first, I'm not a serious contender.

No, and yes.

Your view of what it takes to become a commercial Barrister is still set in the 1970s. See here for a more up to date view https://www.lincolnsinn.org.uk/becoming-barrister/

The people/roles you are targeting have been in those careers for 20+ years, it will take you 20+ years to be in a position to get there. Do you really think that by 2040 the only way to be a commercial barrister in a London set will be a rather old first from Oxbridge?

Spend a year plodding as a teacher and committing your time to attending court, networking, getting to understand the career, and then ace the GDL.

The point of having a 'first from Oxbridge' is simply that aged 21-23 most people have nothing else to offer. All they've done is academic study, so to filter out the numbers, you simply set a high academic standard. Once people are beyond about 25, there is no need to do that, because you can evaluate them from other aspects of a more fully rounded adult life.

I'll try and summon the expert though @Crazy Jamie
(edited 8 months ago)
a

Original post by threeportdrift
I'll try and summon the expert though @Crazy Jamie

I am summoned!

This thread passed me by when it first made for some reason. Should really have replied sooner.

There's an obvious place to start here.You've already correctly identified that the overwhelming majority of those individuals who secure pupillage at those top tier London commercial sets get a First. However, to my mind the important next question is whether pupillage at one of these sets would be a realistic goal for you if you did another undergraduate degree and got a First? I don't think you've properly considered that question, and the answer may be (and possibly even probably is) 'no', for two reasons.

First, look at the profile of those candidates. Do the overwhelming majority get a First? Yes. Is that why they get pupillage? Very obviously not. Even from an academic perspective it isn't. Take Sophie Bird as an example. She is a recent tenant at Brick Court and her profile is here. She got a BA from Oxford in 2015, which we can assume was not a First because it's not stated as being a First. So what did she do next? She did an LLB, just like you want to. She got a First from Cambridge. Is that all? No, it is not. She went on to complete an LLM. At Harvard. So even academically that is a lot more than just doing a second degree and getting a First. Other candidates tell similar stories. Plenty of them have got a First and then done the Cambridge LLM or the Oxford BCL. So here's the problem. These candidates don't just get Firsts. They are demonstrably academically exceptional. Very, very few candidates are at that level even before we look at the rest of their application. You're not at that level. Can you get to it? I'd tentatively suggest probably not.

But even if you could, their profiles don't end there. There's loads of relevant, impressive work experience, and you don't get pupillage at those sets without that, either. You also don't get it without being able to demonstrate those skills in writing in the application and during interview. What experience do you have and what transferable skills have you developed? That's not a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer. But it is a question you need to give serious consideration to, because unless your profile looks like those candidates (and, realistically, it probably doesn't) then, again, pupillage at these sets is probably not a realistic goal for you.

But that's not a knock at all. Barristers at these sets are roughly the top 3% of the profession. The overwhelming majority of the profession is not them, so not only is there no shame at all in aiming lower, for the majority of candidates it's actively sensible to aim lower. You can have a very successful career without practising at one of those sets. I've had a career to date that most people would probably tell me has been successful, but not in my wildest dreams could I have practised at one of those sets. And that's fine. There are so many other sets, both in London and elsewhere in the country, where you can develop a strong civil/commercial/chancery practice, and so many more where you can develop a successful, rewarding practice in other areas of law.

So my advice is first, to critically assess whether one of these sets is a viable goal for you when it comes to pupillage if you do another LLB. I suspect it isn't, but I don't have all the information I need to have to make that judgement. If it isn't, my advice would be to do the GDL and the Bar course, and in the mean time work towards constructing a rounded application to make pupillage in general a realistic proposition for you. That means identifying the transferable skills and relevant experience that you have, identifying the gaps in your application (both in terms of experience such as mini pupillages, and in terms of transferable skills) and planning how you're going to fill them. As a more mature candidate (in both age and experience) you need to make your experience to date work for you, which can give an advantage to you if done correctly, but you also need to be realistic about where you need to pull yourself up. So do that, make a plan for it, and execute that plan while you tick the GDL and Bar course boxes. That's how you make yourself a realistic candidate for pupillage.
Reply 7
Original post by Crazy Jamie

I am summoned!

This thread passed me by when it first made for some reason. Should really have replied sooner.

There's an obvious place to start here.You've already correctly identified that the overwhelming majority of those individuals who secure pupillage at those top tier London commercial sets get a First. However, to my mind the important next question is whether pupillage at one of these sets would be a realistic goal for you if you did another undergraduate degree and got a First? I don't think you've properly considered that question, and the answer may be (and possibly even probably is) 'no', for two reasons.

First, look at the profile of those candidates. Do the overwhelming majority get a First? Yes. Is that why they get pupillage? Very obviously not. Even from an academic perspective it isn't. Take Sophie Bird as an example. She is a recent tenant at Brick Court and her profile is here. She got a BA from Oxford in 2015, which we can assume was not a First because it's not stated as being a First. So what did she do next? She did an LLB, just like you want to. She got a First from Cambridge. Is that all? No, it is not. She went on to complete an LLM. At Harvard. So even academically that is a lot more than just doing a second degree and getting a First. Other candidates tell similar stories. Plenty of them have got a First and then done the Cambridge LLM or the Oxford BCL. So here's the problem. These candidates don't just get Firsts. They are demonstrably academically exceptional. Very, very few candidates are at that level even before we look at the rest of their application. You're not at that level. Can you get to it? I'd tentatively suggest probably not.

But even if you could, their profiles don't end there. There's loads of relevant, impressive work experience, and you don't get pupillage at those sets without that, either. You also don't get it without being able to demonstrate those skills in writing in the application and during interview. What experience do you have and what transferable skills have you developed? That's not a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer. But it is a question you need to give serious consideration to, because unless your profile looks like those candidates (and, realistically, it probably doesn't) then, again, pupillage at these sets is probably not a realistic goal for you.

But that's not a knock at all. Barristers at these sets are roughly the top 3% of the profession. The overwhelming majority of the profession is not them, so not only is there no shame at all in aiming lower, for the majority of candidates it's actively sensible to aim lower. You can have a very successful career without practising at one of those sets. I've had a career to date that most people would probably tell me has been successful, but not in my wildest dreams could I have practised at one of those sets. And that's fine. There are so many other sets, both in London and elsewhere in the country, where you can develop a strong civil/commercial/chancery practice, and so many more where you can develop a successful, rewarding practice in other areas of law.

So my advice is first, to critically assess whether one of these sets is a viable goal for you when it comes to pupillage if you do another LLB. I suspect it isn't, but I don't have all the information I need to have to make that judgement. If it isn't, my advice would be to do the GDL and the Bar course, and in the mean time work towards constructing a rounded application to make pupillage in general a realistic proposition for you. That means identifying the transferable skills and relevant experience that you have, identifying the gaps in your application (both in terms of experience such as mini pupillages, and in terms of transferable skills) and planning how you're going to fill them. As a more mature candidate (in both age and experience) you need to make your experience to date work for you, which can give an advantage to you if done correctly, but you also need to be realistic about where you need to pull yourself up. So do that, make a plan for it, and execute that plan while you tick the GDL and Bar course boxes. That's how you make yourself a realistic candidate for pupillage.

Wow 🤩.. Better crack on with those mini pupillage applications then! Send out a few ‘marshalling’ requests, volunteer at an online law clinic and make certain that my references for the scholarships are on time. 🧐

Any advice for the scholarship Interview? (Inn of court).
Reply 8

Hey!

I think that a 2:1 is not bad at all and it is definitely good for a career in law. Maybe getting more legal experience and having a law degree indeed could help you since you have not done one previously and you are entering a very competitive field. I know that alternatively to the Senior Status degrees offered by Oxford and Cambridge, there are 2 year accelerated LLBs such as the MA Law at the Uni of Bristol and Exeter, which are both very good universities.

In addition, I think you should also consider other careers in the legal sector such as a role in-house or working for a law firm since these are good alternatives for career changers. At least for working as a solicitor, I know that law firms usually have recruit 50% from a law background and 50% from a non-law background. However, if you decide to change to a career as a solicitor you should start to consider which type of firm you would like to work for (Magic Circle, Silver Circle, US firm). If I remember correctly, the Commercial Law Academy had a good course on alternative legal careers and one on law firm profiles which you could try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending