The Student Room Group

CPS Pupillage/Legal Trainee Scheme 2024 (2025 Start)

Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IHatePaperSifts
Hello! I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria. Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back! Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage: Civil Service Tests/CV - For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut. - BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy. - For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor. The Video Interview - How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc. - Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera. The Final Assessment/Interview- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area. - Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour. - In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact. Finally, best of luck! You can do it! Very happy to answer any questions.
Hi, thank you for your post. Would you please advise me how I shall practice the online assessment? I attempted last year but failed the first step. Would really appreciate your suggestions
Original post by KASZHA
Hi, thank you for your post. Would you please advise me how I shall practice the online assessment? I attempted last year but failed the first step. Would really appreciate your suggestions

The best thing you can do is to use the practice tests. There should be links to them in the CPS advert when it comes out, but you can also find them online.

Use those to practice on reading the questions carefully, understanding them, and ultimately going with your gut. It is key in either case that you understand what they are asking.

For the judgment test, think civil service. They want you to note the bigger picture, include everyone, work together efficiently and prioritise. Use that as your guiding light and try not to get yourself wound up thinking about it all too much.

For the reasoning test, read the questions incredibly carefully. It is incredibly simple if you just remember that the answer is either there (true or false) or it’s not. Work through it carefully, thinking carefully and applying this simple rule. It’s opposite of the judgment test in that it is not about your gut. It’s about what is there or not.

Hope that helps!
Reply 3
For the judgment test, think civil service. They want you to note the bigger picture, include everyone, work together efficiently and prioritise. Use that as your guiding light and try not to get yourself wound up thinking about it all too much.

Hi, I've also struggled with the judgment test. I think my main issue is not being sure what the CPS would prioritise in conflicts. For example, would they prefer someone to compete a difficult job themselves or would they prefer them to reach out to a manager? Likewise, would they prefer someone who prioritises quality or meeting deadlines. I'd really appreciate some advice on this if you have any.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Lawguy19
Hi, I've also struggled with the judgment test. I think my main issue is not being sure what the CPS would prioritise in conflicts. For example, would they prefer someone to compete a difficult job themselves or would they prefer them to reach out to a manager? Likewise, would they prefer someone who prioritises quality or meeting deadlines. I'd really appreciate some advice on this if you have any.

So firstly it’s not so much the CPS you are concerned with, and more the Civil Service. It’s a Civil Service test, not a CPS test.

I say that because you have to think less like a barrister and more like a glorified admin assistant. So, they want you to be self sufficient where you can, without accidentally causing a national crisis. So that means trying to do what you can, and bring that to your manager when the going gets tough to save them the time of having to draft that. As a Civil Servant currently I tend to rush to my manager whenever something might get dodgy.

So I’d say ‘do what you can, and if you can’t, bring some ideas and initiative to your manager.’

As for deadlines, hmmm, prioritise quality but also meet the deadline. But don’t work overtime. 😂

In seriousness, quality is paramount in these questions. Asking for time, reducing scope and shifting less urgent tasks are acceptable. But the answer ‘botch it and do both’ isn’t a great one.

It’s tricky in how unreal they are; it asks you to bring the moon back. But I think proactivity, engaging your manager, quality and prioritisation are the key guiding lights.

It can be tricky. There are great YouTube videos online analysing these tests and I’d suggest you seek some of those out.
Reply 5
So firstly it’s not so much the CPS you are concerned with, and more the Civil Service. It’s a Civil Service test, not a CPS test.

I say that because you have to think less like a barrister and more like a glorified admin assistant. So, they want you to be self sufficient where you can, without accidentally causing a national crisis. So that means trying to do what you can, and bring that to your manager when the going gets tough to save them the time of having to draft that. As a Civil Servant currently I tend to rush to my manager whenever something might get dodgy.

So I’d say ‘do what you can, and if you can’t, bring some ideas and initiative to your manager.’

As for deadlines, hmmm, prioritise quality but also meet the deadline. But don’t work overtime. 😂

In seriousness, quality is paramount in these questions. Asking for time, reducing scope and shifting less urgent tasks are acceptable. But the answer ‘botch it and do both’ isn’t a great one.

It’s tricky in how unreal they are; it asks you to bring the moon back. But I think proactivity, engaging your manager, quality and prioritisation are the key guiding lights.

It can be tricky. There are great YouTube videos online analysing these tests and I’d suggest you seek some of those out.

Very helpful answer; thank you! 🙂
Reply 6
Hello!

I was lucky enough after years of pupillage hunting (7 years to be precise from first applying on the BPTC) to obtain one with the CPS. I start September 2024, and to be my bewilderment, scored 96% in the final interview on the scoring criteria.

Knowing how hard it is and knowing that if I can do it, anyone can, I want to give back!

Ask me anything about the process and I will do my best to help. Just so you don’t walk away with nothing, here is my top tip for each stage:

Civil Service Tests/CV

- For the tests, do the practice ones. Get an idea of how they work. In the test try not to think too hard and trust your gut.
- BUT read each question carefully. Don’t just answer ‘Dumbledore’ because your gut tells you he’s a stand up guy.
- For the CV, tailor it to being a prosecutor. Read the trainee advert and go on Gov.com. It has a job description for prosecutors. Then spin your experiences around being a prosecutor.

The Video Interview

- How I hate it. Practice your stock answers repeatedly and keep them within time (1 minute 30 seconds etc). By stock I mean ‘Why CPS’, ‘Why a prosecutor’ (they are two distinct things), ‘Why crime’ etc.
- Get in front of your phone camera, or laptop and practice the answers. You need to get comfortable in front of the camera.

The Final Assessment/Interview

- Research the law they specify using the CPS website. Often has something of value. It is likely to be a legal academic question (ie, mine was about non-violent protests and whether prosecutions interfered with human rights.) So think about how you would argue these kinds of points based on the legal area.
- Prepare the behaviours they highlight in the advert using the STAR method. Plan 3 different examples for each behaviour.
- In the final interview, look at your camera. That way it kind of simulates eye contact.

Finally, best of luck! You can do it!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Very helpful advice and much appreciated! I was wondering though, to my knowledge so far one is only able to apply for pupillage for up to 5 years after the bptc/bvs is completed. How did you go about this? Is there a process to get more time? And if you do not mind me asking: what did you do for the time in between? Sorry for all the questions and please feel free to only answer those you feel comfortable with.
Original post by Maryk99
Very helpful advice and much appreciated! I was wondering though, to my knowledge so far one is only able to apply for pupillage for up to 5 years after the bptc/bvs is completed. How did you go about this? Is there a process to get more time? And if you do not mind me asking: what did you do for the time in between? Sorry for all the questions and please feel free to only answer those you feel comfortable with.

Happy to answer this; it’s something I was keen to know myself as a forever hopeful.

So it is typically limited to 5 years. I’ll be 6 years when I start in September 2024 (called 2018). However the BSB allow extensions on this time. They called it a ‘pupillage dispensation’ (from the usual requirements of pupillage, ie 5 years). The application and advice can be found here under ‘Current/Prospective Pupils’: https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/barrister-training-waivers-and-exemptions.html[/url

So that’s the process. From the rumour mill I hear you can get up to 10 years total extension (ie, call 2023 to pupil 2033) and I have seen a barrister called in 2012 starting pupillage 2022-23. It’s all about how you demonstrate you’ve kept skills up to date.

For myself I first worked as an Advocate for LPC Law. You work in the civil courts, doing a large proportion of the work of a barrister without the title. I did that for just over a year.

I spent the next four years as a Justices’ Legal Adviser at HMCTS. You advise Magistrates on the law in court and the CPS are really keen on it. After working there for a few years you’ll know the law much better than all the CPS lawyers you see daily, you can build contacts and you learn Civil Service culture. It’s probably the main reason I succeeded in the application process so I recommend it if you can’t get pupillage. (Also, I have some knowledge of HMCTS trying to get authorisation for pupillages so you might even get lucky and bag one if you join and they come in whilst working there. I can’t say more and not guaranteed in any case).

Hope that helps!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Happy to answer this; it’s something I was keen to know myself as a forever hopeful.

So it is typically limited to 5 years. I’ll be 6 years when I start in September 2024 (called 2018). However the BSB allow extensions on this time. They called it a ‘pupillage dispensation’ (from the usual requirements of pupillage, ie 5 years). The application and advice can be found here under ‘Current/Prospective Pupils’: https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/barrister-training-waivers-and-exemptions.html[/url

So that’s the process. From the rumour mill I hear you can get up to 10 years total extension (ie, call 2023 to pupil 2033) and I have seen a barrister called in 2012 starting pupillage 2022-23. It’s all about how you demonstrate you’ve kept skills up to date.

For myself I first worked as an Advocate for LPC Law. You work in the civil courts, doing a large proportion of the work of a barrister without the title. I did that for just over a year.

I spent the next four years as a Justices’ Legal Adviser at HMCTS. You advise Magistrates on the law in court and the CPS are really keen on it. After working there for a few years you’ll know the law much better than all the CPS lawyers you see daily, you can build contacts and you learn Civil Service culture. It’s probably the main reason I succeeded in the application process so I recommend it if you can’t get pupillage. (Also, I have some knowledge of HMCTS trying to get authorisation for pupillages so you might even get lucky and bag one if you join and they come in whilst working there. I can’t say more and not guaranteed in any case).

Hope that helps!

Hey, you've honestly been the best help. Feel very grateful to have discovered you on this forum and thanks a lot, really!
Happy New Year's to you and congratulations on finally having bagged in that Pupillage - it sounds like you more than deserved it at last! And who knows; perhaps I'll meet you some day at the CPS in a few years.

Cheers
Reply 9
Hey, thank you for this thread!

I'm not sure you'll know the answer, but how do we know if we have passed the tests? Does being asked to continue with the next stage mean that you have passed, or do they only look at the test results once applications have closed?

Sorry if this is a silly question - it's my first time applying!
Reply 10
Original post by CJStevens
Hey, thank you for this thread!

I'm not sure you'll know the answer, but how do we know if we have passed the tests? Does being asked to continue with the next stage mean that you have passed, or do they only look at the test results once applications have closed?

Sorry if this is a silly question - it's my first time applying!

Hey,

You receive confirmation if you have passed to the next stage once applications have closed.

On that note have you applied? The CPS website is still stating that application will open soon?
Original post by Zabeda
Hey,

You receive confirmation if you have passed to the next stage once applications have closed.

On that note have you applied? The CPS website is still stating that application will open soon?

I have started the application but so far have just completed the two psychometric tests. I only asked the question as after each test it said something along the lines of "finalising results... refresh in 5 minutes to see results". I wasn't sure whether each test had a pass-mark which would prevent continuation should you fall short of it?

It's strange that the CPS website still says it will open soon for you?
Reply 12
I have started the application but so far have just completed the two psychometric tests. I only asked the question as after each test it said something along the lines of "finalising results... refresh in 5 minutes to see results". I wasn't sure whether each test had a pass-mark which would prevent continuation should you fall short of it?

It's strange that the CPS website still says it will open soon for you?

I applied last year and got to final interview stage. You dont get the results straight away. I think it is a couple of days after the vancancy closes then you get email with your percentage and if you have progressed to next stage. It is a long waiting game. Think July time find out final results once you have gone through all the loops.
Original post by Zabeda
I applied last year and got to final interview stage. You dont get the results straight away. I think it is a couple of days after the vancancy closes then you get email with your percentage and if you have progressed to next stage. It is a long waiting game. Think July time find out final results once you have gone through all the loops.

That's super annoying - especially if it transpires that you didn't pass the tests! Feels like a waste of time to continue otherwise...

I suppose that's just the way it goes!

Where, geographically, are you looking to apply?
Reply 14
That's super annoying - especially if it transpires that you didn't pass the tests! Feels like a waste of time to continue otherwise...

I suppose that's just the way it goes!

Where, geographically, are you looking to apply?

It takes a while but it’s a great opportunity so don’t give up. It’s very competitive so make sure you put in the effort if you get through next stage. I’m looking for the northwest area.
Original post by Zabeda
It takes a while but it’s a great opportunity so don’t give up. It’s very competitive so make sure you put in the effort if you get through next stage. I’m looking for the northwest area.

Yh absolutely it looks great! I'm also looking at the North West :smile:

Good luck with everything!!
Reply 16
Yh absolutely it looks great! I'm also looking at the North West :smile:

Good luck with everything!!

I’m going for the solicitor route, same for you?

Good luck. We can only try.
Original post by Zabeda
I’m going for the solicitor route, same for you?

Good luck. We can only try.

I always forget that they offer both. I'm applying for the pupillage, but I'm still in my third year of uni so I'm not expecting anything at all haha
Original post by Zabeda

Just to add to this: I've actually found my results (or percentiles) in the 'feedback' tab of the application. Just in case you wanted to check once you're finished :smile:
Reply 19
I have just read that the vocational qualifications aren't going to be sponsored by the CPS. So, I interpret that to mean that we must shell out thousands of pounds to fund the LPC/SQE.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending