The Student Room Group

Two particles at different velocities collide. Find when and where they collide

I'm having a lot of trouble with these questions and any help would be appreciated.

Some examples:
1) Two hockey players are practising their shots. They are 90m apart and hit their balls on the ground directly towards each other. The first player hits his ball at 6ms-1 and the other hits hers at 4ms-1. Both balls decelerate at 0.1ms-2. Find the distance from the first player when the balls collide. Answer: 55m

2) A footballer kicks a ball directly towards a wall 10m away and walks after the ball in the same direction at a constant 2ms-1. The ball starts at 4ms-1 but decelerates at a constant rate of 0.5ms-2. When it hits the wall it rebounds the travel away from the wall at the same speed with which it hit the wall. Find the time after the initial kick when the ball returns to the footballer.
Answer: 4.17 seconds

Thanks in advance!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by james_wong
I'm having a lot of trouble with these questions and any help would be appreciated.

Some examples:
1) Two hockey players are practising their shots. They are 90m apart and hit their balls on the ground directly towards each other. The first player hits his ball at 6ms-1 and the other hits hers at 4ms-1. Both balls decelerate at 0.1ms-2. Find the distance from the first player when the balls collide. Answer: 55m

2) A footballer kicks a ball directly towards a wall 10m away and walks after the ball in the same direction at a constant 2ms-1. The ball starts at 4ms-1 but decelerates at a constant rate of 0.5ms-2. When it hits the wall it rebounds the travel away from the wall at the same speed with which it hit the wall. Find the time after the initial kick when the ball returns to the footballer.
Answer: 4.17 seconds

Thanks in advance!

For 1) I'd use the equation of motion s=ut+12at2s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 and solve for t. As the two balls meet, you know that that s sill be the same so you can have two equations s1=u1+12a1t2s_1=u_1+\frac{1}{2}a_1t^2 and s2=u2+12a2t2s_2=u_2+\frac{1}{2}a_2t^2 and set s1=s2s_1=s_2.
Recall that if player two hits their ball towards player one then the velocity will be negative if you're taking the distance from player 1 as being positive.

For 2) calculate the speed at the which the ball hits the wall using the appropriate equation of motion. And make a note of the time. And then you can do what you did in part 1) again. To find out the time taken between the time at which the ball rebounds at the wall to reach the footballer who is moving forward.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
thank you so much!
thank you so much!

No worries :smile:. Glad to help!
thank you so much!

Can't say I fully agree with @Kvothe the Arcane on this one.

Yes, use s=ut+12at2s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2

These suvat equations assume s=0 when t=0.

For 1) you basically have two choices:

Either A)

Assigning the same positive direction for each player, and consider displacements relative to player1.

In which case for player1, s1=u1t+12a1t2s_1=u_1t+\frac{1}{2}a_1t^2 as before.

But for player2, since they are 90m away,

s2=90+u2t+12a2t2s_2=90+u_2t+\frac{1}{2}a_2t^2

And equate, s1=s2s_1=s_2 etc. as before.

Or B)

Assign the positive direction towards the other player, i.e. it's different for each player.

Then s1,s2s_1,s_2 are both given by the basic formula, and we look to solve s1+s2=90s_1+s_2=90, i.e. they meet when the total distance travelled towards each other is 90m.
Original post by ghostwalker

Either A)

Assigning the same positive direction for each player, and consider displacements relative to player1.

Or B)

Assign the positive direction towards the other player, i.e. it's different for each player.

Then s1,s2s_1,s_2 are both given by the basic formula, and we look to solve s1+s2=90s_1+s_2=90, i.e. they meet when the total distance travelled towards each other is 90m.

You're correct of course
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker

Either A)

Or B)

Thanks for the help! :biggrin: I'll try both of them and see which one works better for me
But still, if i follow this procedure, the answer comes exactly 4 seconds not 4.17 seconds
What to do then??
Original post by Azim Shihab
But still, if i follow this procedure, the answer comes exactly 4 seconds not 4.17 seconds

I get 4 seconds as well, so the given answer is incorrect.

Quick Reply

Latest