The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men - English Literature AQA

Hey,
I'm finding it hard to start writing the answer to this question, i'm not sure who would be best for it and what quotes i could use.

Here's the question:
[INDENT]"In Of Mice and Men Steinbeck presents some of his characters as being weak in some way. Choose two characters you think are weak. Write about these characters and how they are presented."[/INDENT]

Thanks.
--Vaza

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP!
Please answer! The exam is tomorrow!!
Reply 2
Bearing in mind the examiner will have to mark loads think of the chracters people might put down. And don't do them so your piece is going to be more intresting and more orignal to the examiner. A few teachers at our school do exam marking and they all say that they will give an A* if the piece makes them forget that they are marking an exam.
you achieve that how philmyer?
Reply 4
philmyer92
Bearing in mind the examiner will have to mark loads think of the chracters people might put down. And don't do them so your piece is going to be more intresting and more orignal to the examiner. A few teachers at our school do exam marking and they all say that they will give an A* if the piece makes them forget that they are marking an exam.

DON'T make it original? I thought you were supposed to stand out from the crowd...
Reply 5
being original
Reply 6
Well most people will probably put Candy and Lennie. I would put George and Curleys wife but infact most characters can be be seen as weak so this could also be seen as a good chance to write about the chracters you know best as long as you relate back to the question.

Can you tell this is something our teacher talked to us in detail about?
Reply 7
Curley and Candy's dog? Those are two most people wouldn't think of.
Is this the idea of the question for our exam tommorow or just someones homework?
Reply 9
george,education16
Is this the idea of the question for our exam tommorow or just someones homework?

June 06's question.

How many quotes do you think we should use, not just for this question but in general?
does any one have any ideas opn the probable question for tommorows exam?
Reply 11
i would put crooks cos he's the easiest person to put
Reply 12
i always puts crooks
Reply 13
My english teacher says he is sure that a question about crooks or curleys wife will come up. He must be only basing that on they might not have keep up recently but other than its a complete guess.
Reply 14
yup crooks and curleys wife, the only question i can answer
i dnt no who or what slim, whit, candy,carlson, curley do in the book
Reply 15
Whit and Carlson fit the lonley raunch worker that George describes.
Slim is the authority figure you could argue more so than the boss and curley.
Candy in my opnion is somebody who makes the dream acheviable but almost falls into the role of lennie once lennie has killed curleys wife.
Reply 16
OK thanks guys. I've decided on Crooks and Candy being the weakest, which is good because there are plenty of quotes for them such as when Curleys wife threatens Crooks in Chapter 4. I still am not sure about what an A on this part of the exam looks like so if anyone has anything, please post it here.
I would preferably put Crooks & Lennie or Candy but, might include Curley's wife in an attempt to make it unique.
That reminds me, what have people been revising more; Mice & Men or Anthology. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Anthology as it is worth more, the top marks are 36 whereas of mice and men is only 27. Plus i feel there is alot more to learn for peotry.
Reply 19
I feel that I have honed my poetry, but i haven't revised much OM&M so i need to get it up to scratch.

Latest