The Student Room Group

Quantum Physics - Photoelectric effect - HELP!!!

I just had a quick question about the photoelectric effect. The experiment to demonstrate this effect uses an electroscope and gold leaf. When light (that has the threshold frequency or higher) is shone on a negatively charged metal plate photo electrons are emitted. What happens when the plate is positively charged? Are photo electrons still emitted but since the plate is already positively charged there is no overall effect? Or is it that no photo electrons were emitted from the plate it was positively charged? My physics teacher says it is the latter but my father (who is a well-skilled senior executive engineer who lovvvess physics) says it is the first reason. (I've research online but there has been no definite answer the sources have different answers) Who is right and why?
My vote goes for:
still emitted, but attracted back to the positive charge.
I'd compare with 'stopping potential' which is a standard way to find the ke of emitted electrons.
Original post by dynasty7271
I just had a quick question about the photoelectric effect. The experiment to demonstrate this effect uses an electroscope and gold leaf. When light (that has the threshold frequency or higher) is shone on a negatively charged metal plate photo electrons are emitted. What happens when the plate is positively charged? Are photo electrons still emitted but since the plate is already positively charged there is no overall effect? Or is it that no photo electrons were emitted from the plate it was positively charged? My physics teacher says it is the latter but my father (who is a well-skilled senior executive engineer who lovvvess physics) says it is the first reason. (I've research online but there has been no definite answer the sources have different answers) Who is right and why?

For a question I did similar to that, I believe the answer was that electrons are still emitted, which just increases the positive charge of the plate, so there is an overall effect, just no loss of charge.

Quick Reply

Latest