The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography recommendations?

What things would you suggest students starting a degree in Diagnostic Radiography buy before the course commences? I already studied Anatomy and Physiology previously in an Occupational Therapy degree which I didn't finish. I loved learning anatomy and physiology!! I am just worried as I know that radiographers require a higher knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology. I have been studying Physics in my free time mainly. I wanted to get my head around some topics like Bremmstahlung radiation, Characteristic, Compton Scatter and the Photoelectric effect. I am currently learning about the photoelectric effect. Any advice on materials or things to buy before the course would be extremely helpful.
Original post by blindlove2
What things would you suggest students starting a degree in Diagnostic Radiography buy before the course commences? I already studied Anatomy and Physiology previously in an Occupational Therapy degree which I didn't finish. I loved learning anatomy and physiology!! I am just worried as I know that radiographers require a higher knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology. I have been studying Physics in my free time mainly. I wanted to get my head around some topics like Bremmstahlung radiation, Characteristic, Compton Scatter and the Photoelectric effect. I am currently learning about the photoelectric effect. Any advice on materials or things to buy before the course would be extremely helpful.

Physics, anatomy and physiology are 3 main areas to familiarise yourself with before starting diagnostic radiography, so that's a great start already!
In terms of things to buy before you start, I would maybe wait until you have your first lecture/seminar and see if your academics suggest any useful books or reading materials. These may also be stocked at your university library or local library (or available online) which would save you some money too.

One piece of advice from one of our diagnostic radiography students was to purchase a pocketbook to have available while on placement as a quick reference guide, so that might be useful!
If you are studying in the UK, it might also be useful to read about the culture of care across the NHS and in diagnostic radiography.

Hopefully the above is useful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest