The Student Room Group

Physical natural sciences

I take maths, further maths, bio chem. I want to do natsci at cambridge and do maths, cell biology, physiology, and physics. I have been told even though I dont do physics A level I can still do it as part of the natsci course because I have further math a level, but I am just wondering if i would be allowed to take physics further (for example to year 2/year 3) - would I be allowed to even without physics A level?
I was just wondering this because I know for example that people who havent done A level chemistry can do biology courses for the first year, but not for the second year, so I just wanted to know if it is similar here.
Reply 1
There are other Unis that offer Nat Sci - not just Cambridge. They will all offer a slightly different version of Nat Sci with different subject combinations available within the degree because of the different specialities of each Uni, and the way their particular degree is structured. You need to look at each course page carefully, and go to their Uni Open Days so that you can hear the subject presentatiosn, and ask questions.

Nottingham - Welcome to Natural Sciences - The University of Nottingham
Bath - Natural Sciences (bath.ac.uk)
Lancaster - Natural Sciences - Lancaster University
UCL - Natural Sciences BSc | Natural Sciences degrees - UCL University College London
Leeds - Natural Sciences BSc | University of Leeds
etc etc
Original post by McGinger
There are other Unis that offer Nat Sci - not just Cambridge. They will all offer a slightly different version of Nat Sci with different subject combinations available within the degree because of the different specialities of each Uni, and the way their particular degree is structured. You need to look at each course page carefully, and go to their Uni Open Days so that you can hear the subject presentatiosn, and ask questions.

Nottingham - Welcome to Natural Sciences - The University of Nottingham
Bath - Natural Sciences (bath.ac.uk)
Lancaster - Natural Sciences - Lancaster University
UCL - Natural Sciences BSc | Natural Sciences degrees - UCL University College London
Leeds - Natural Sciences BSc | University of Leeds
etc etc

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year natural sciences student at Lancaster and studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways. I thought I’d share a bit about natural sciences at Lancaster as everywhere that does natural sciences is slightly different.

Natural sciences is definitely one of the most flexible degrees out there allowing you to study across two or three different departments. At Lancaster there are so many different pathways to choose from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

There is also the option to alter you pathway choices as you progress through your degree. For me this was extremely valuable as I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway after first year to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any
Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year natural sciences student at Lancaster and studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways. I thought I’d share a bit about natural sciences at Lancaster as everywhere that does natural sciences is slightly different.

Natural sciences is definitely one of the most flexible degrees out there allowing you to study across two or three different departments. At Lancaster there are so many different pathways to choose from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

There is also the option to alter you pathway choices as you progress through your degree. For me this was extremely valuable as I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway after first year to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any
Oliver (Student Ambassador)

My question is, would I be able to take physics through to the second year given that I have no physics A level, or just be able to take it for first year
Original post by Fermat42647
My question is, would I be able to take physics through to the second year given that I have no physics A level, or just be able to take it for first year

Hey!

Unfortunately, in order to take the physics pathway you would need A-Level physics as you would be taught alongside the single honours physics students. However with your three pathways you would still be able to study maths, cell biology and physiology. Also depending on what areas of physics you're interested in, there may be some overlap with other science pathways. For example, if you're interested in the quantum side to physics, I know the physical chemistry pathway covers a lot of quantum mechanics which is very interesting.

I hope that helps and let me know if I can help with any other questions :smile:

Oliver (student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest