The Student Room Group

Equilibrium Kp HELP!

Struggling and having a bit a of trouble in answering this Q.

Link: https://imgur.com/UM8toOI

I need to somehow find the partial pressures of all 3 species when it's in equilibrium.
It has given key info such as total pressure = 150 kPa and mole fraction of NH3 to be 0.80

I know that mole fraction = number of moles of a gas / number of moles of all gases

And partial pressure = mole fraction * total pressure

From this I thought the first thing to do ideally was to construct an ICE table which will help find all the number of moles of each entity, but no where in the Q can I see what the initial moles of each gas is or moles of gas during equilibrium.

You can't say the mixture originally had 6 moles of gas in total as this only looking at the molar ratio of the equation. But I have a gut feeling that is maybe wrong to say?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks
Original post by Yatayyat
Struggling and having a bit a of trouble in answering this Q.

Link: https://imgur.com/UM8toOI

I need to somehow find the partial pressures of all 3 species when it's in equilibrium.
It has given key info such as total pressure = 150 kPa and mole fraction of NH3 to be 0.80

I know that mole fraction = number of moles of a gas / number of moles of all gases

And partial pressure = mole fraction * total pressure

From this I thought the first thing to do ideally was to construct an ICE table which will help find all the number of moles of each entity, but no where in the Q can I see what the initial moles of each gas is or moles of gas during equilibrium.

You can't say the mixture originally had 6 moles of gas in total as this only looking at the molar ratio of the equation. But I have a gut feeling that is maybe wrong to say?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Nitrogen and hydrogen start off in a ratio of 1:3 and this is the ratio in which they react, hence they must also be in a ratio of 1:3 in the equilibrium mixture.

The mole fraction of ammonia is 0.8, so the mole fraction of nitrogen and hydrogen put together must be 0.2

Can you see where to go from here ...?
Reply 2
Wait how do you know that by adding mole fraction of nitrogen and mole fraction of hydrogen gives 0.2?

EDIT: never mind, that was a stupid Q of me to ask, I see that since it is mole fraction, all the mole fractions have to sum up to 1.
(edited 5 years ago)
Wait how do you know that by adding mole fraction of nitrogen and mole fraction of hydrogen gives 0.2?

EDIT: never mind, that was a stupid Q of me to ask, I see that since it is mole fraction, all the mole fractions have to sum up to 1.

correct
Reply 4
Original post by charco
correct

So then I'm guessing if 0.2 is the mole fraction of both nitrogen and hydrogen, then:

mole fraction for nitrogen = 1/4 * 0.2 = 0.05
mole fraction for hydrogen = 3/4 * 0.2 = 0.15

Hence partial pressures (pp) now

pp(nitrogen) = 0.05 * 150 = 7.5 kPa
pp(hydrogen) 0.15 * 150 = 22.5 kPa

and pp(ammonia) = 0.8 * 150 = 120 kPa

Is this fine?
So then I'm guessing if 0.2 is the mole fraction of both nitrogen and hydrogen, then:

mole fraction for nitrogen = 1/4 * 0.2 = 0.05
mole fraction for hydrogen = 3/4 * 0.2 = 0.15

Hence partial pressures (pp) now

pp(nitrogen) = 0.05 * 150 = 7.5 kPa
pp(hydrogen) 0.15 * 150 = 22.5 kPa

and pp(ammonia) = 0.8 * 150 = 120 kPa

Is this fine?

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by charco
:smile:

Thank you so much for the help!