The Student Room Group

please help chem question!!

When heated above 100 ºC, nitrosyl chloride (NOCl) partly decomposes to form nitrogen monoxide and chlorine as shown in the equation:
2NOCl(g) 2NO(g) + Cl2(g)
(a) A 2.50 mol sample of NOCl was heated in a sealed container and equilibrium was established at a given temperature. The equilibrium mixture formed contained 0.80 mol of NO
Calculate the amount, in moles, of Cl2 and of NOCl in this equilibrium mixture.

I was taught to do a table of initial moles, change in moles and equilibrium but i’m not sure which values to put in each part of the table. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!!
Original post by annoymous72
When heated above 100 ºC, nitrosyl chloride (NOCl) partly decomposes to form nitrogen monoxide and chlorine as shown in the equation:
2NOCl(g) 2NO(g) + Cl2(g)
(a) A 2.50 mol sample of NOCl was heated in a sealed container and equilibrium was established at a given temperature. The equilibrium mixture formed contained 0.80 mol of NO
Calculate the amount, in moles, of Cl2 and of NOCl in this equilibrium mixture.

I was taught to do a table of initial moles, change in moles and equilibrium but i’m not sure which values to put in each part of the table. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!!

What does initial mean in this case?
Reply 2
Original post by charco
What does initial mean in this case?

i’m not so sure ☹️ this is unlike any of the questions i have done where they usually give you at least one of the initial moles
Original post by annoymous72
i’m not so sure ☹️ this is unlike any of the questions i have done where they usually give you at least one of the initial moles

"A 2.50 mol sample of NOCl was heated in a sealed container" what do you suppose this means?

Quick Reply

Latest