The Student Room Group

Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by gjd800
Exceptional work from the pompiers, no doubt.

I'd just caution that the account that first posted that pic on Twitter has since been suspended, but :crossedf: some of it has been saved.
Most treasures have seemingly been saved, which is great and it’s not been completely restored. I would guess the emergency services would have prepared for this. Old buildings undergoing renovations are a fire risk.
Original post by Doones
It seems the interior may not have been completely devastated. Amazing.

IMG_20190416_003011-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Yes! That looks in a way better state than what I was anticipating- and apparently they managed to get a lot of the artworks and relics out too.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Yes! That looks in a way better state than what I was anticipating- and apparently they managed to get a lot of the artworks and relics out too.

Is that a picture taken when the fire was starting, rather than now?
the stone flying buttresses stopped the walls collapsing outward

the stone roof tracery stopped the walls collapsing inwards.

those mediaeval builders did a marvellous job.
Reply 65
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Is that a picture taken when the fire was starting, rather than now?

It's not clear, but I think it's part of the Reuters series and is after the fire was largely extinguished
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-france-notredame/blaze-devastates-notre-dame-paris-firefighters-fear-for-one-bell-tower-idUKKCN1RR1UN
Reply 66
Another Reuters photo shows a similar scene (after the fire)
Original post by barror1
What? No, evacuating a large number of people in such a dire circumstance is admirable. There was legitimately a service on at the time 🤦*♀️

Mmmm no there wasn't a service, it was a confessions period in English and it was finishing, plus there were very few people left inside because admissions had closed already.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by arigziegler
Mmmm no there wasn't, the English confessions period had finished and there were very few people left inside because admissions had closed already. Services at Notre Dame are very rare and only happen on special days (holy catholic days).

Quoi ?

So, from a Monday morning through to Saturday lunch time, the services are as follows..

8am - Mass conducted in the Choir
9am - Mass conducted in the Choir - except from the start of July through to the middles of September, when there is not service at this time
12 noon - Mass conducted at the Main Alter
5.45pm - Vespers Service, which is actually broadcast live on the KTO Catholic Television Channel
6.15pm - Mass conducted at the Main Alter

As mentioned above, the Sunday services start the evening before and therefore the later Saturday services are as follows..

5.45pm - the first Sunday Vespers Service
6.30pm - Sunday Mass conducted at the Main Alter

On a Sunday all of the services are held at the Main Altar of the Notre Dame Cathedral and are as follows:

8.30am - Mass
9.30am - Lauds service
10am - Gregorian Mass of the cathedral chapter
11.30am - International Mass with part of the readings and prayers in English
12.45pm - Mass
5.45pm - Vespers Service
6.30pm - Mass, which is usually conducted by the archbishop and is broadcast live on KTO Catholic TV and via the Notre Dame Radio.

In addition to these, after Mass on a Thursday at 6.15pm, the Eucharistic Adoration is conducted that runs through to 7.15pm, however, we would like to point out that this does not take place during July, August and the first half of September.

There is also a ceremony style service called the Veneration of the Crown of Thorns and the Relics, which is conducted at the Notre Dame de Paris every first Friday of the month and every Friday throughout Lent at 3pm. Plus this veneration is conducted all day long on Good Friday at Easter.
Original post by the bear
Quoi ?

So, from a Monday morning through to Saturday lunch time, the services are as follows..

8am - Mass conducted in the Choir
9am - Mass conducted in the Choir - except from the start of July through to the middles of September, when there is not service at this time
12 noon - Mass conducted at the Main Alter
5.45pm - Vespers Service, which is actually broadcast live on the KTO Catholic Television Channel
6.15pm - Mass conducted at the Main Alter

As mentioned above, the Sunday services start the evening before and therefore the later Saturday services are as follows..

5.45pm - the first Sunday Vespers Service
6.30pm - Sunday Mass conducted at the Main Alter

On a Sunday all of the services are held at the Main Altar of the Notre Dame Cathedral and are as follows:

8.30am - Mass
9.30am - Lauds service
10am - Gregorian Mass of the cathedral chapter
11.30am - International Mass with part of the readings and prayers in English
12.45pm - Mass
5.45pm - Vespers Service
6.30pm - Mass, which is usually conducted by the archbishop and is broadcast live on KTO Catholic TV and via the Notre Dame Radio.

In addition to these, after Mass on a Thursday at 6.15pm, the Eucharistic Adoration is conducted that runs through to 7.15pm, however, we would like to point out that this does not take place during July, August and the first half of September.

There is also a ceremony style service called the Veneration of the Crown of Thorns and the Relics, which is conducted at the Notre Dame de Paris every first Friday of the month and every Friday throughout Lent at 3pm. Plus this veneration is conducted all day long on Good Friday at Easter.

My point is the mass was over when they evacuated at 18.59 (as relayed by all the French news channels) most of those left inside were people inside confessionals.
Original post by arigziegler
My point is the mass was over when they evacuated at 18.59 (as relayed by all the French news channels) most of those left inside were people inside confessionals.

i was just questioning why you thought that 5 services a day and 7 on Sundays was "very rare" and only happened "on special days"
the intricate wooden spire only dated back to 1860, so is not a major tragedy.
the intricate wooden spire only dated back to 1860, so is not a major tragedy.

The spire was still iconic to many people- I understand it may not seem like a tragedy to you, but many of the people of Paris still feel that way. The spire collapsing was quite symbolic, too.
The spire was still iconic to many people- I understand it may not seem like a tragedy to you, but many of the people of Paris still feel that way. The spire collapsing was quite symbolic, too.

it will be quite easy to make a replacement spire.
it will be quite easy to make a replacement spire.

I'm not sure easy is the right word- although I accept that it's much easier than rebuilding the whole cathedral. It possibly also depends on how much of the surrounding roof has been damaged.

From the pictures of the inside, I don't think even the clean up will be "easy".

For some people, the spire collapsing was a hugely distressing and emotional event, so it's probably kinder not to be dismissive about it.
I'm not sure easy is the right word- although I accept that it's much easier than rebuilding the whole cathedral. It possibly also depends on how much of the surrounding roof has been damaged.

From the pictures of the inside, I don't think even the clean up will be "easy".

For some people, the spire collapsing was a hugely distressing and emotional event, so it's probably kinder not to be dismissive about it.

i was devastated by the images from Paris yesterday. it was distressing and emotional for me as well as my fellow Catholics across the world.
i was devastated by the images from Paris yesterday. it was distressing and emotional for me as well as my fellow Catholics across the world.

It's obviously good if the spire can be replaced easily, and it's great that most of the older parts were saved. However, I do think it's important not be dismissive of other people's feelings by not being too dismissive.

Part of the reason the spire collapsed so easily is that the renovations in the 1800s weren't really up to scratch and were done with speed in mind- so things may not be as quick and simple to replace as they appear.
1) Kering group that owns the Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent fashion brands, pledged €100m (£86m; $113m) towards rebuilding Notre-Dame, AFP news agency reports.

2) Another €200m was pledged by Bernard Arnault's family and their company LVMH - a business empire which includes Louis Vuitton and Sephora

3) French cosmetics giant L'Oreal and its founding Bettencourt family have promised to give a further €200m to the reconstruction effort.

4) Total, the French oil giant, has also pledged €100m.

:biggrin: - hope we can restore it to its full glory :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 79
Oak-smoked Kentucky fried Hunchback anyone?
hunchb.jpg
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending