The Student Room Group

Need help with Freehold Covenant problem question

Hi, have coursework on land law and having some difficulty approaching this question, identifying what subject i should talk about on which part on question need some help:h:.

John owned the registered freehold property known as Greenland. It was a large country house in five acres of grounds. In September 2016 he sold off that part of Greenland called Smallfield to Bob. It amounted to half an acre. In the conveyance Bob declared, “For the benefit of John I hereby covenant not to erect more than one three-bedroom house on Smallfield and also within one year hereof to erect a eight-foot high stone wall along the boundary between Greenland and Smallfield and to keep the said wall in repair for ever hereafter.” Bob erected a chain link fence along the boundary between the two properties as a temporary measure.

John recently sold Greenland to Adam and Bob sold Smallfield to Alice. The boundary wall has yet to be built and Alice refuses to spend money on a stone wall saying that if Adam wants such a wall then he can build it himself. Furthermore, Alice has obtained planning permission to build two three-bedroom houses on Smallfield, to which Adam objects.

Advise Adam.

Thanks in advance.
If you post some of your own thoughts you are likely to get a response.Take a look at this post https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4142373

Which part of the question are you referring to? You have identified the subject area in your title, i.e. freehold covenants, so you need to be more precise about what you are struggling with.
Original post by devourerofgods
Hi, have coursework on land law and having some difficulty approaching this question, identifying what subject i should talk about on which part on question need some help:h:.

John owned the registered freehold property known as Greenland. It was a large country house in five acres of grounds. In September 2016 he sold off that part of Greenland called Smallfield to Bob. It amounted to half an acre. In the conveyance Bob declared, “For the benefit of John I hereby covenant not to erect more than one three-bedroom house on Smallfield and also within one year hereof to erect a eight-foot high stone wall along the boundary between Greenland and Smallfield and to keep the said wall in repair for ever hereafter.” Bob erected a chain link fence along the boundary between the two properties as a temporary measure.

John recently sold Greenland to Adam and Bob sold Smallfield to Alice. The boundary wall has yet to be built and Alice refuses to spend money on a stone wall saying that if Adam wants such a wall then he can build it himself. Furthermore, Alice has obtained planning permission to build two three-bedroom houses on Smallfield, to which Adam objects.

Advise Adam.

Thanks in advance.
I read the post but I havent written an answer for the question yet as I am confused about which topics under land law I should use approach to it in different parts of question. Need help with identification of subjects.
Original post by Bitesizelaw
If you post some of your own thoughts you are likely to get a response.Take a look at this post https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4142373

Which part of the question are you referring to? You have identified the subject area in your title, i.e. freehold covenants, so you need to be more precise about what you are struggling with.
Hello,

I don't understand what you mean by different parts to the question. It asks 'Advise Adam'. You have identified that the question relates to freehold covenants.
I read the post but I havent written an answer for the question yet as I am confused about which topics under land law I should use approach to it in different parts of question. Need help with identification of subjects.
Yes, but the issue is I'm not sure if its only about freehold covenants. thats my struggle. Is there any other subject i need to address to answer this question properly ?
Original post by Bitesizelaw
Hello,

I don't understand what you mean by different parts to the question. It asks 'Advise Adam'. You have identified that the question relates to freehold covenants.
It's a very typical question on freehold covenants. New owners and potential breach of covenants. All bog standard stuff.

Perhaps when you attempt to answer the question fully you will feel more confident that you have covered all the issues. Freehold covenants is quite a wide area in itself.

Good luck with it.
Yes, but the issue is I'm not sure if its only about freehold covenants. thats my struggle. Is there any other subject i need to address to answer this question properly ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending